Mizuno ST-X 230 and ST-Z 230 Drivers

I guess in theory the idea that a heel weighted club head is more "workable" or easier to rotate would apply to all heel weighted heads.

That actually makes a ton of sense and explains a lot of my past experiences with them.
You're absolutely right. But more often than not, heel-weighted drivers in the past would have other characteristics (very light, upright and closed) that make them not really usable as a workable, better players driver.

You're absolutely right. But more often than not, heel-weighted drivers in the past would have other characteristics (very light, upright and closed) that make them not really usable as a workable, better players driver.
Yeah great point.

In that sense Mizuno seems to have something pretty unique here.

I wasn’t supposed to get excited about this driver. I wasn’t supposed to want to go hit it. I was supposed to just be OK with the driver and shaft combo I’ve found with my current setup. Damnit….

This review, the excitement level Jman is on in here, the option of Linq Red, and TXG’s video have me frothing at the mouth to find somewhere to swing it.

I wasn’t supposed to get excited about this driver. I wasn’t supposed to want to go hit it. I was supposed to just be OK with the driver and shaft combo I’ve found with my current setup. Damnit….

This review, the excitement level Jman is on in here, the option of Linq Red, and TXG’s video have me frothing at the mouth to find somewhere to swing it.

Same, can't get this club out of my mind in wanting to go test it.

Yeah great point.

In that sense Mizuno seems to have something pretty unique here.
Depends on how its viewed. Not speaking specifically to this driver, as its very good, but many drivers can set up neutral and have more weight in the heel. Be it with a sliding mechanism or moveable weights with heavier options.

I guess in theory the idea that a heel weighted club head is more "workable" or easier to rotate would apply to all heel weighted heads.

That actually makes a ton of sense and explains a lot of my past experiences with them.

i wonder if where the weight is on the other axes matters, too. like, heel-biased but also low and far away from the face will encourage face rotation so more draw biased. but heel-biased and a little raised off the sole and closer to the face makes it workable in both directions (like a blade).

CDDFC982-2385-4DF5-8B43-1F970FCA1D87.jpeg

IMO, that is a really good looking club head at address.

I’ve had a few swipes on this one so far and it’s an interesting contrast for me to what I’ve been playing, the 10.5 head just wants to get up SO easily it’s fun. Plus, it’s thus far hovering in that 2500 range which is REALLY solid for me, particularly given how the playability is just crazy. The feel from CORTECH is hard to explain, there is another layer of power now, but it might be the most stable head I’ve hit this year on misses.

View attachment 9155560

I’ve had a few swipes on this one so far and it’s an interesting contrast for me to what I’ve been playing, the 10.5 head just wants to get up SO easily it’s fun. Plus, it’s thus far hovering in that 2500 range which is REALLY solid for me, particularly given how the playability is just crazy. The feel from CORTECH is hard to explain, there is another layer of power now, but it might be the most stable head I’ve hit this year on misses.

Is that your custom project x shaft?

View attachment 9155560

That’s a strong statement for stability, considering how good everything seems to be across all the brands this year.

That’s a strong statement for stability, considering how good everything seems to be across all the brands this year.
It really is, and with the four I have in my bag right now (yes, four drivers lmao) they all do it different, but so damn well.

It really is, and with the four I have in my bag right now (yes, four drivers lmao) they all do it different, but so damn well.
Love it. Last I checked, the stores here don’t have the 230 line, which is too bad because I’m wanting to test it out.

View attachment 9155560

That looks really, really good.

Love it. Last I checked, the stores here don’t have the 230 line, which is too bad because I’m wanting to test it out.
I’m really curious for people to hit them. The sound is…excellent. I will say though, you miss heel side, you know audibly, at least that’s what I’m told hahaha

I think you would really dig this one Hawk, for a lot of reasons.

I think I would too. Too many of the forgiving heads have draw bias built into them.

I think I would too. Too many of the forgiving heads have draw bias built into them.
Agreed, and I’m going to loft this one down today and really try to see what @Vosh68 was talking about with it, put that workability to the test!

Agreed, and I’m going to loft this one down today and really try to see what @Vosh68 was talking about with it, put that workability to the test!

Snap a pic at address after you do that. I love a slightly flared toe with driver.

I know you'll get there eventually @Jman , but curious to see numbers for you compared to the other 3 you have in the bag. Still haven't seen these in the wild yet, but was told sometime mid to late month they'll be in for swings.

Snap a pic at address after you do that. I love a slightly flared toe with driver.
Just because I love you.

I know you'll get there eventually @Jman , but curious to see numbers for you compared to the other 3 you have in the bag. Still haven't seen these in the wild yet, but was told sometime mid to late month they'll be in for swings.
I don’t know that I’ll do a head to head charted comparison because I’m not a huge fan of it when doing a review. That said, I can tell you that for spin rates from low to high it is TD, TSR4, Aero LS, then this, BUT, the span is only about 350-400 RPM on average.

That span between 4 drivers is really something. Wonder where a TM driver would rate in spin, only due to different materials.

I assume 350 ish spin rate differences are negligible?

That span between 4 drivers is really something. Wonder where a TM driver would rate in spin, only due to different materials.

I assume 350 ish spin rate differences are negligible?
It just depends. The 230X has a higher baseline for me so far but also the ceiling is really low. Meaning it doesn’t spin up much and also won’t bottom out, that means MASSIVE consistency. The launch with the 2500 range spin is pretty freaking excellent, this week I’m diving in hard on SPEED though. I think it’ll hang, and then some.

Good stuff James. I know it’s not a left favorable club (?) but, if one’s miss is left is this likely to amplify that miss?

Back