Status
Not open for further replies.
Roll tribe

The day in football is showing me it's a day for Tigers. Yes, it translates between sports, especially when you have Sherzer on the hill.

Sox WILL dispose of the Tigers tonight!

Let's do this Red Sox. #WinToday

All relative. Stl had the 11th largest.

Compared to the other playoff teams left they are.. And actually they are a pretty small market

Still in top half of the league in payroll. You can't compare them to teams like Tampa and Oakland. Plus, St. Louis has a NFL team, NHL team, and MLB team....doesn't exact scream small market.

Still in top half of the league in payroll. You can't compare them to teams like Tampa and Oakland. Plus, St. Louis has a NFL team, NHL team, and MLB team....doesn't exact scream small market.

It is a relatively small market. I can promise they aren't getting a big TV contract anytime soon. Of course you cannot compare them to Oakland and Tampa, but they are not on the same level as Boston or LA

So my question is what makes a team small/big market? Spending? Size of city? Money intake?

St. Louis is a lot are like the Detroit (albeit we spend a lot more thanks to Illitch wanting a ring with his Little Caesers pizza!). Our TV deal with FOX is average at best.

And it's a genuine question, maybe different for everyone. Just hoping for a good conversation!

So my question is what makes a team small/big market? Spending? Size of city? Money intake?

St. Louis is a lot are like the Detroit (albeit we spend a lot more thanks to Illitch wanting a ring with his Little Caesers pizza!). Our TV deal with FOX is average at best.

I think that you can have teams in "smaller" markets that still have larger payrolls because the owners are willing to spend, whereas you can also have teams in bigger markets that don't have big payrolls at all. The Astros are the prime example of that, and the Marlins are another example, I'm guessing most people would think that Houston and Miami are bigger markets than Detroit and St. Louis. However, for the most part payroll seems to mirror the size of a market, the bigger cities/markets have the bigger team payrolls.

I can totally agree with that Ary. I threw in one aspect that I think gets overlooked and that's attendance. More money coming through the turnstiles=more money to spend. That's more of a cause and effect thing. To baseball owners: If you can't afford to pay for a competitive team, do us all and your fans a favor and sell the franchise.

Tpluff, markets are generally based on media size or tv market. St. Louis is generally considered a medium market I believe. While they are 11th in payroll, that payroll is pretty top loaded. As TBS has been slobbering over, most of the Cards roster is home-grown, drafted talent. Cheap drafted talent that allows them to spend where want or need is seen. As us Cards fan say, in Molizak we trust.

That ball missed going fair by inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beginning to feel sorry for Avila.

Ellsbury driving in the kid! Yes!

Minor rant: it's REALLY hard to follow this game when I'm at work.

Minor rant: it's REALLY hard to follow this game when I'm at work.

Online stream and a headfone in one ear. That's what I do. Probably a little easier for me in my line of work though.

I know that feeling, shift work can suck sometimes

Only saving grace is that the majority of the city is watching the game, so it's not all that busy right now. I'm trying to find an empty patient room to turn on a TV and watch this game.

Only saving grace is that the majority of the city is watching the game, so it's not all that busy right now. I'm trying to find an empty patient room to turn on a TV and watch this game.

Tell that kid to keep pressure on it, I'll be there during the 7th inning stretch

Tell that kid to keep pressure on it, I'll be there during the 7th inning stretch

The worst part is that I know some parents are going to bring their kids in immediately after the game is over. Doesn't really define an "emergency", but that's another discussion entirely.

Interesting how the Red Sox pen has had some issues tonight. I wonder if Leyland will keep running Scherzer out there until he's on fumes just to stay away from the Tigers' bullpen.

Victorino!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back