Modernize a Classic? What’s your poison?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
If you could pick ANY classic or older release and have a company modernize it for re-release, what would it be? WHY?

Wow. Great question. Will have to put some thought into this one.

Taylormade Tour Preferred Line of irons. They had the MB, MC, CB. That seemed to be the sweet spot for Taylormade and their irons. Lot of options and fit a wide variety of golfers.

Mizuno MP-32. Oh, and Titleist's 983k. Same shape, same hosel, same paint job. But, 450cc and maybe some new internal weighting.

• Staff
Nickent 4DX Evolver.

Drooooolllllllllll. A Hoeffy creation of awesome, that was a damn good driver. Add in modern carbon and such? I’d love to see what Hoeffy could do.

Bridgestone J40 lineup, particularly the DPC immediately came to mind. It's still one product that I would not hesitate to throw in the bag.

Hmmm.... This is really a tough question. There are so many good options. For me it is something I have been dreaming of and somewhat designing in my head for a little while.

A modern milled version of the Calamity Jane putter with a slight milled face. Black lamkin deep etched cord grip.

I know Kronos makes one but, to my eye it is kinda ugly and very heavy handed. I own maybe the closest version in a Cleveland CMM .05 it is actually a pretty good putter and the only extra club I keep around.

1585923655373.png

1585923677647.png

Burner TP fairway woods. One of the best fairway woods TM ever built.

I kind of feel like this is what Hogan is doing with ICON.

Obviously Eye2 irons would be the classic I want redone.

Maybe not a classic at this point, but damnit TaylorMade bring back the XFT with different grind options, and a face that can rust to go a long with one that doesn't.

ping beryllium irons

Taylormade Super-Tri driver.
One of the longest drivers I have ever hit.

Taylormade Super-Tri driver.
One of the longest drivers I have ever hit.

yes, give me a lower spinning SuperTri and I'd be happy.

ping beryllium irons
I had a set of the iSi beryllium. Not as good as the PingEye2 berylium, but they were still so beautiful to look at in the bag.

I had a set of the iSi beryllium. Not as good as the PingEye2 berylium, but they were still so beautiful to look at in the bag.

Yes, on the PingEye2 BeCu irons.

Wilson Staff C300 Driver with a mat black head. I think they cost themselves a lot of potentail customers or even guys who would give it a swing. It is a good club.
I feel the same about several TM woods. White was fun for a while maybe even a long while but I think people get tired of color.
Whatever the follow up was to the Tommy Armor 845's. That was an awesome set of irons.

Cleveland classic driver. TM tour preferred iron line. New lineup of Odyssey with white hot pro inserts. That TM Kia ma insert or whatever it was.

Cleveland classic driver. TM tour preferred iron line. New lineup of Odyssey with white hot pro inserts. That TM Kia ma insert or whatever it was.
OG TM Tour preferred line?! Yesssssss... Too bad they didn't sell.

Cleveland Classic was on my mind as well - Hell anything NOT larger than 430 would appeal to me.

Hogan Radials.

Why? Because there are the only classic clubs I've owned and I don't know jack about any other classic golf equipment.

That said, I really like the design - more in a functional way than aesthetically. Wide sole at the center, easy for high cappers to hit with high launch and even work both left and right. Not sure what I'd change... I suppose if the face were a little larger, the sweet spot would be as well.

Last edited:
I’ve always thought it’d be really cool to have an adjustable persimmon. Toss on a great graphite shaft... yes please.

I kind of feel like this is what Hogan is doing with ICON.

Obviously Eye2 irons would be the classic I want redone.

Maybe not a classic at this point, but damnit TaylorMade bring back the XFT with different grind options, and a face that can rust to go a long with one that doesn't.
That’s actually what gave me the idea for this thread!

OG TM Tour preferred line?! Yesssssss... Too bad they didn't sell.

Cleveland Classic was on my mind as well - Hell anything NOT larger than 430 would appeal to me.

Didn’t matter what they did to that TP line, just fell flat.

Back