Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

lol most days I don't either but days like today, how could you not?

yeah but if you can golf in cool NE wind, FL wind is just a coolbreeze

that's the truth

It is a fact, that I blow, but for the most part gently.

After a ton of prep on the golf course over the weekend, today is a day of stretching and working out. My FIL and his buddy had a ton of great advice for me this weekend but the sort of "AHA" moment was when Jim said to me, "You would be a low single digit HC'er if you had any kind of a short game." He meant it in a good way about my tee to green game but he is bang on about my short game. It needs a ton of work and that comment just sort of shocked me into how much work it really does need.

lol most days I don't either but days like today, how could you not?

yeah but if you can golf in cool NE wind, FL wind is just a coolbreeze

I might go out tomorrow too if the weather holds up.

this is what I've been focusing on the past couple of weeks. I'm hoping that rebuilding my core will help me gain back some of the distance I've lost over the past 4 months. My flexibility is increasing and I'm getting a better sense of balance again.

It is a fact, that I blow, but for the most part gently.

After a ton of prep on the golf course over the weekend, today is a day of stretching and working out. My FIL and his buddy had a ton of great advice for me this weekend but the sort of "AHA" moment was when Jim said to me, "You would be a low single digit HC'er if you had any kind of a short game." He meant it in a good way about my tee to green game but he is bang on about my short game. It needs a ton of work and that comment just sort of shocked me into how much work it really does need.

Sounds like you guys are putting everything you have into it, awesome. Question for any of you that deal with pain after/during tons of golf. What are your tricks for getting over the winces, grunts, and knowing this next shot is going to hurt?

Sounds like you guys are putting everything you have into it, awesome. Question for any of you that deal with pain after/during tons of golf. What are your tricks for getting over the winces, grunts, and knowing this next shot is going to hurt?

I love those armbands that relieve pressure in my elbows. Wrist pain isn't something I deal well with but aleeve might get through the round. If I get like that, my focus at the range goes to short game. Ironically, its when I shoot my best score. Since going graphite I've had no issues actually. That will be changing this time around though and I'll have to be more careful about how many balls I hit at the range.

I had a little setback last night in the sense I just couldn't get comfortable at the range. Great thing was I knew what my issue was the whole time. I let the overbearing grandparent talking really loud get to me as well. At least I was Killing my wedges and my miss was either topping, fat or a dead push.

I make the best of it. The big issue I have right now with my pain(s) is that I can't fire my hips as well as I used to which creates distance loss in addition to fatty boombalatty shots. Sometimes I gut it out, sometimes I wuss out and take more club and minimize the amount of turn I need. all depends on how I'm feeling and here the pain is. Leg pain I'm good with. Lower back pain I'm ok with. Lower spine pain, there's nothing that can help that for me now and I have to deal with it as it comes

If I know the next shot is going to hurt, I just stop, there's no point in making things worse. The lucky thing for me is that I'm in decent shape, and can basically play as much as I want without pain. The worst thing I usually have after 36 holes is some pain in my feet, but it's nothing bad at all.

Just signed up for an indoor golf league for the next 10 weeks. Starting next week. Pretty excited about it because it will get me back in the swing of things even when it's miserable outside

Just signed up for an indoor golf league for the next 10 weeks. Starting next week. Pretty excited about it because it will get me back in the swing of things even when it's miserable outside
Thats awesome Dean, I have no idea what an indoor golf league is, but it sounds like you get to swing a golf club and thats whats important.

Thats awesome Dean, I have no idea what an indoor golf league is, but it sounds like you get to swing a golf club and thats whats important.

It was the old MC Paradise team's major source of preparation!

I really enjoy reading about everyone's prep so far. One thing I've been doing and haven't really mentioned is putting exclusively with a milled, anser style putter for the past month or so. I don't know what Cleveland wants to do in the form of putters, but I'm pretty safe in assuming that my options will be a milled, anser style putter. This is the style of putter I was pretty exclusive to up until the previous Morgan Cup. The anser style, not really the whole milled part. Here's one thing I've noticed: i find inserts to be far more consistent for me, as far as distance control goes. Milled putters can be perceived as soft to me one putt then hotter off the face the next. I'm assuming I'm not hitting the ball in the desired spot everytime. I'm also seriously missing on the massive alignment aids I've become accustomed to in a mallet style putter. Right now, lag putting is my focus. Once I get 100% comfy with that, it's time to focus on draining putts with the anser/milled style putter. I need to find that form with this putter like i found with the DART and the Spider Ghost.

Pretty much simulator golf. But the place is pretty cool and like you said at least it will get me swinging a club.
This is the place. http://www.tarksindoorgolf.com/

I really enjoy reading about everyone's prep so far. One thing I've been doing and haven't really mentioned is putting exclusively with a milled, anser style putter for the past month or so. I don't know what Cleveland wants to do in the form of putters, but I'm pretty safe in assuming that my options will be a milled, anser style putter. This is the style of putter I was pretty exclusive to up until the previous Morgan Cup. The anser style, not really the whole milled part. Here's one thing I've noticed: i find inserts to be far more consistent for me, as far as distance control goes. Milled putters can be perceived as soft to me one putt then hotter off the face the next. I'm assuming I'm not hitting the ball in the desired spot everytime. I'm also seriously missing on the massive alignment aids I've become accustomed to in a mallet style putter. Right now, lag putting is my focus. Once I get 100% comfy with that, it's time to focus on draining putts with the anser/milled style putter. I need to find that form with this putter like i found with the DART and the Spider Ghost.

I like it TC. You'll get it nailed down soon enough. Do you think having the insert also helped with making sure you made the best contact?

Those are some of the best sims around, ddec. Scores don't translate, but you'll know what you're doing to the golf ball with great accuracy.

TC - I have no doubt you'll be holing tons of putts with anything if you keep working with it. Lag putting seems to be where I struggle a bit with my blade putter as well. Most likely because I don't practice them enough.

I like it TC. You'll get it nailed down soon enough. Do you think having the insert also helped with making sure you made the best contact?

I'm not sure to be honest. I think there may be more forgiveness in an insert though. Or maybe I just suck at putting. I'm kind of confused right now about it to tell you the truth. With the mallets, I could focus so much more on my line, whereas now, I feel like I have to stroke it perfectly. Mind Games!!

Those are some of the best sims around, ddec. Scores don't translate, but you'll know what you're doing to the golf ball with great accuracy.

that's good to know

Speaking of simulator golf, just got a coupon in my inbox for half off of 3 rounds at this place: http://middleton.optigolfcenters.com/

May have to jump on this deal for some more simulator golf in the winter.

Back to the gym later today for more weight training.

Pretty much simulator golf. But the place is pretty cool and like you said at least it will get me swinging a club.
This is the place. http://www.tarksindoorgolf.com/

That looks really cool, we don't have that kind of stuff around here...at least not that I have seen.

I'm not sure to be honest. I think there may be more forgiveness in an insert though. Or maybe I just suck at putting. I'm kind of confused right now about it to tell you the truth. With the mallets, I could focus so much more on my line, whereas now, I feel like I have to stroke it perfectly. Mind Games!!

I think you nailed it...and you're a great putter dude. Yeah putters help but you are the cause of that ball going in. After reading the Putter Perfection, type of putter and type of stroke definitely can have an impact. You'll find your stroke or find a putter that fits. Your choice might be limited but do you think there will be different types of balance (face, heel), did that sound right lol?

I think you nailed it...and you're a great putter dude. Yeah putters help but you are the cause of that ball going in. After reading the Putter Perfection, type of putter and type of stroke definitely can have an impact. You'll find your stroke or find a putter that fits. Your choice might be limited but do you think there will be different types of balance (face, heel), did that sound right lol?

Most of the left handed models, say in the Never Compromise line, are Anser style only. I have no clue what the best weight putter is for me. The putter I have is 350 grams I believe, so i'll just go with something around there. I won't stress over the small details. But I need to get familiarized with this style again. Good thing we have some time!

Most of the left handed models, say in the Never Compromise line, are Anser style only. I have no clue what the best weight putter is for me. The putter I have is 350 grams I believe, so i'll just go with something around there. I won't stress over the small details. But I need to get familiarized with this style again. Good thing we have some time!

I like that approach. It probably makes your prep much easier huh?

I like that approach. It probably makes your prep much easier huh?

It allows me to focus more on golf and my results there as opposed to WITB, that's for sure :clown:

It allows me to focus more on golf and my results there as opposed to WITB, that's for sure :clown:

hahaha... WITB is my prep! I remember really agonizing over it :). So easy because I still expect that miracle shaft to bail me out of a hooked drive.

hahaha... WITB is my prep! I remember really agonizing over it :). So easy because I still expect that miracle shaft to bail me out of a hooked drive.

lol, it's always the shaft! Nothing wrong with truly enjoying the "tour" experience buddy. I guess I'm use to not having certain options so I don't stress over it as much I guess.

Back