Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

DawgDaddy just sent me a iPing putter cradle to use with my iPhone to get ready for the MC! How cool is that? DawgDaddy rules!
That was VERY nice of DD! Congrats on the four mile run...very impressive Seth. :)

Lesson #2 tonight followed by an hour of practice.

Mainly worked on reinforcing things from last week's lesson, namely 1) a true weight shift 2) getting my sternum over my right foot on the back swing 3) using my core muscles and letting my arms basically noodle out 4) finishing with power. He had me sweating and panting pretty quickly from the drills I was doing, which continues to surprise me. Analyzed a little video and the difference at the start of the lesson from a week ago is excellent. My quality of contact has improved greatly and I'm seeing higher swing speeds out of my 7 iron than I ever got out of a 6 iron in the past.

Practice session was good, though I tired out quickly. Hit what for me was a milestone that made me very happy - I was hitting my driver underneath 3k RPM's for the first time since I started recording data and I stayed under it. Hit some drives that I knew I was capable of and I left feeling pretty good. 9 more weeks to go.

Mainly worked on reinforcing things from last week's lesson, namely 1) a true weight shift 2) getting my sternum over my right foot on the back swing 3) using my core muscles and letting my arms basically noodle out 4) finishing with power. He had me sweating and panting pretty quickly from the drills I was doing, which continues to surprise me. Analyzed a little video and the difference at the start of the lesson from a week ago is excellent. My quality of contact has improved greatly and I'm seeing higher swing speeds out of my 7 iron than I ever got out of a 6 iron in the past.

Practice session was good, though I tired out quickly. Hit what for me was a milestone that made me very happy - I was hitting my driver underneath 3k RPM's for the first time since I started recording data and I stayed under it. Hit some drives that I knew I was capable of and I left feeling pretty good. 9 more weeks to go.

Great stuff Hawk. I think you are going to see a steady drop in your HC next year.

went out and played in the wind and a little rain 42*. Greens were terrible but inaugural round with Betti only had me with 4-3 putts. Couldn't hit anything really so I was happy with my 91. Then came home and worked on my birdieball for about an hour. It's going to be a long winter.

By the time the MC rolls around you'll all look like Camillo Villegas and be scratch golfers! :)

DawgDaddy just sent me a iPing putter cradle to use with my iPhone to get ready for the MC! How cool is that? DawgDaddy rules!

That was very cool of Double D!!

That's great stuff Hawk! I really wish the guy that I have been taking lessons from used video, I have a couple of sessions left with him and I think I am going to switch to GolfTEC, got a groupon deal for the $165 swing evaluation session for just $50.00 so I am going to give that a whirl....I like what the instructor has been teaching me....but no video or LM data kinds bums me out....and after the ones I got for Christmas are done I dont think I am going back...(he charges $150 an hour too!)

Went to the range this afternoon and hit a full bucket of nothing but 7-9 Irons....really trying to work on getting my GIR percentage up!

That's great stuff Hawk! I really wish the guy that I have been taking lessons from used video, I have a couple of sessions left with him and I think I am going to switch to GolfTEC, got a groupon deal for the $165 swing evaluation session for just $50.00 so I am going to give that a whirl....I like what the instructor has been teaching me....but no video or LM data kinds bums me out....and after the ones I got for Christmas are done I dont think I am going back...(he charges $150 an hour too!)

Went to the range this afternoon and hit a full bucket of nothing but 7-9 Irons....really trying to work on getting my GIR percentage up!

I've had both and I think I prefer the video just so you can see what you're doing. Seeing ball flight is nice, but you can get a good idea of where you're at by seeing ball speed, spin, side spin, etc too. I think the thing that I like most is that I have some great exercises that I can do when I hit a bad shot to get me feeling where I went wrong. Plus, he's not flooding me with a bunch of things that create swing thoughts.

I've had both and I think I prefer the video just so you can see what you're doing. Seeing ball flight is nice, but you can get a good idea of where you're at by seeing ball speed, spin, side spin, etc too. I think the thing that I like most is that I have some great exercises that I can do when I hit a bad shot to get me feeling where I went wrong. Plus, he's not flooding me with a bunch of things that create swing thoughts.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...it helps to SEE what you are doing wrong, not just hear about it....PLUS with the video you can see your progress and know that you are getting better.

It's nice to hit balls outside and see the ballflight....and I like what this guy has done for me....but I think the advantage of the video and stuff will really help me.

I like lessons. I wish I'd taken more of them over the last two years.

I like lessons. I wish I'd taken more of them over the last two years.

Me too hawk.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Been a busy couple of days but just wanted to post about my preparation round on Monday. It was a decent day outside, low 40's with the sun poking through a little, so I got 9 holes in. It wasn't as wet as I thought it would be, but still pretty wet. I'm ready for summer to be here so it will dry up and I can get some better practice out of the bunkers, but one thing I love about my new home course is that even when the bunkers are wet I still get out of them so much easier than I used to at my old course. The one thing I hated about my old course, and the reason I switched, is because the bunkers were like concrete. There was no softness to the sand at all, so whenever I would go to another course to play I just had no practice out of bunkers so I was never confident in my shots. This usually resulted in a shank out of the bunker. However, even with them being wet and matted down at my new course I can still get a club underneath it and I have hit some pretty good bunker shots. I had a few hooks sneak into my round which cost me a few strokes, but I'm not too worried about it because I'm not playing as often as I'd like because it is the middle of winter. I plan on getting lessons from the pro once some consistent warmer weather gets here so I can be outside at the range working on what he tells me to, but for now I will continue to play when we have some halfway decent weather, and I have been chipping in my basement. My chipping from just off the green was very good on Monday, so the work in the basement is paying some dividends.

I'm going to work on marking my ball on the green in front of the ball to make my opponents worry about whether I put the ball back in the same place.

I've also been working on the 10-12 foot putts, but that's on hold for at least a few days.

I'm going to work on marking my ball on the green in front of the ball to make my opponents worry about whether I put the ball back in the same place.

I've also been working on the 10-12 foot putts, but that's on hold for at least a few days.

I'm def gonna be keeping an eye on you in the singles

Sure you will be first to putt all day anyway, so not to worry

He will probably putt twice before we putt the first time Kelly...LOL

Was at the range today working on my driver accuracy hit 40 balls aiming between 2 markers 250 yards out and about 30 yards wide, i was very happy with how i got on gotta say about 60-65% of them were between the markers which is a big increase from my normal of about 40-45%. I have lost some of my distance but gained a whole pile of accuracy so its a trade i'm happy with. Used the other 30 balls working on my short game distance from 120 yards in down to 60 yards. All in all a good day at the range

Today, I used the iping putting app with every putter I have and measure my stroke and what gave me the best stats. It wasn't even close. 34" mid-mallet with full toe hang gave me what I would consider perfect numbers. Face angle was always within .1 of being square, I putt with a slight arc and a consistent one it appears, and my tempo is almost exactly 2 to 1. I think these are all good numbers and they were miles better than any other puters I tried today. I think I have my putter style all set.

Today, I used the iping putting app with every putter I have and measure my stroke and what gave me the best stats. It wasn't even close. 34" mid-mallet with full toe hang gave me what I would consider perfect numbers. Face angle was always within .1 of being square, I putt with a slight arc and a consistent one it appears, and my tempo is almost exactly 2 to 1. I think these are all good numbers and they were miles better than any other puters I tried today. I think I have my putter style all set.
I like to hear that buddy, nice work!

Since finding out I use a strong arc for my putting stroke I really notice it now. I would have sworn I was straight back/straight thru....pretty funny! Keep up the hard work everyone.

Thanks to Jake I have a new friend thats going to help me get prepared even more... I cannot wait.

Had a great day today!! Who says Friday the 13th is bad? Had an hour on the range and an hour on practice green split between chipping and putting...then hit the course.... Was playing pretty good not really paying attention...made the turn and added my score abd had a 41....I thought...pretty good....hit the 10th tee and kept going not really paying attention to my score...finished my round and looked at my score and I shot my best 9 ever for a 38!!!

Then it took me a minute to realize that 41 and 38 is the MAGIC 79!! Holly crap I broke 80!!! :banana:

I'll probably shot 100 tomorrow...but by god I finally broke 80!

Had a great day today!! Who says Friday the 13th is bad? Had an hour on the range and an hour on practice green split between chipping and putting...then hit the course.... Was playing pretty good not really paying attention...made the turn and added my score abd had a 41....I thought...pretty good....hit the 10th tee and kept going not really paying attention to my score...finished my round and looked at my score and I shot my best 9 ever for a 38!!!

Then it took me a minute to realize that 41 and 38 is the MAGIC 79!! Holly crap I broke 80!!! :banana:

I'll probably shot 100 tomorrow...but by god I finally broke 80!
Great job TBT, congrats on breaking 80 buddy thats awesome! You are putting in a ton of work and its paying off, congrats buddy.

Congrats TBT! That is a huge milestone #.

Back