Need to vent / talk

JBJGolf

Reaction score
Hello All View attachment 20837

This is a picture of my girl Penelope. She was laid to rest on Wednesday, July 8th 2015. Penelope was a rescue from the local shelter and I fostered her back to health prior to the decline that ultimately led to the decision that we had to make to let her rest.

Penelope was found by someone having a seizure on their porch. This person took her to the emergency vet and left her there to be delivered to the animal shelter. While she was out before being found she suffered a tick bite that would be found later. The original owner / family let her go for reasons unknown... I took her in as a foster and she was anemic, lethargic, under weight and terrified. Between my discovery of the tick bite and daily care of that wound, proper nutrition and seizure medicine Penelope was starting to turn around.

Since Penelope was a foster the animal shelter adopted her out to a family that ultimately would bring her back to me because they "didn't have time for her". This poor girl just needed a family to love her and give her a chance to be comfortable. So I officially adopted her the next day, right before thanksgiving. She continued to do well until right around the new year the seizures came on hard. We tried various combinations of medications, every test, DNA testing and food adjustments with lots of love. Really I adjusted my schedule at work to allow myself to finish my days at home so I could take care of her. Starting about a month ago the medications stopped controlling her seizures and they became increasingly violent. She was highly at risk of secondary life threatening injury. If I was home during an episode she could break a leg, neck, or as severe as breaking bones in her jaw. This would have left her to suffer until I got home from work. This risk along with the quality of life loss with any additional medication made the decision to euthanize the best decision for her.

Her vet is really an amazing guy and co-owner of Zoot Animal Hospital, Dr. Jensen Young. With his busy schedule he dedicated so much time and effort into trying to get Penelope back to full health. He was equally devastated when we had to put her down to end the suffering.

On Tuesday I took my other dog to the boarding place so she wouldn't be here until I could clean the carpet (seizures leave quite a mess) and try to dampen the noticeable loss to Lola. Also Lola would be exhausted from her time there as she gets to swim, run, play and so much time with other dogs.

On Wednesday, I took the day off and spent the day giving Penelope all of my attention and trying to do her favorite things. We walked, she got can food, belly rubs, treats, more petting and really everything I could think of that she liked.

The vet allowed me to call ahead and handle payment / paperwork for the services which was huge because I couldn't read anything when I walked out. I was already starting to cry uncontrollably. I got her leash and we headed towards the car. This is where things felt deeper and if you don't believe it that's fine you can say it was all in my head.

Penelope walked out to the car and laid down as calm as she ever has. Obviously she didn't know where we were going but she knew she was going to feel better. There was no fear in her eyes, just something I can't even describe. She was ready and relieved I think. When the doctor did the first injection I was petting her as I have when she was having a seizure but this time she relaxed and looked at me almost like she was saying thank you. It just felt like we lifted so much pain and anxiety off of her spirit. Then the remaining two injections ended her life. All I could do at this point was sob. I spent a few minutes with her after to just talk to her and hope she is happier in the afterlife.

This whole situation has deeply effected me emotionally. This hurt more than my divorce, more than losing someone in my life it was actually unbelievable and surprising how much it hurts. The only thing that will help is time.

I write this because I needed to tell the story to someone and also to say if anyone has a dog suffering with epilepsy, please reach out.

There are some ways to allow your dog to live a wonderful life with epilepsy. My dog did not respond to any of the medication we tried.

I also write this to say, please don't dump your dog on the shelter or even worse on the streets. Dogs are the most selfless animal in nature. All they strive to do is please you... Please don't just dump that.

As a side note to add to my July... I lost a friend at work who left the company (2 total) surprisingly. That was a gut punch to say the least. July hasn't been my month.

Tomorrow I'll hit the golf course and that will bring some recoup time.

I'll say I'm not emotional and I am always the supporter. This is the first time I really need support so I'll take whatever words anyone can offer.

Thank you for reading, hug your dog today
-JBJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your losses and tough month. Penelope is lucky to have had you, and you to have had her. As hard as the loss is, it is a reflection of how great your time with her was.

When I had to put my first pet down, Yoshi, a beagle, I was a mess. He was essentially my first son and I watched him grow old and his body degenerate before finally deciding it was time to put him down. I'm getting choked up as I write this just thinking about it, and it was about 10 years ago... I followed it up by reading "Marley and Me." I'm not sure it helped because it was a real tear jerker too, but I guess I felt comfort in reading it at the time.

Thank you for your giving Penelope the love and care that you did and thank you for sharing your story.

i had to put down a beautiful yellow lab named "gunner" in feb 2015. he was 9 years old and we got him when he was 6. the people who had him before we got him did not know what a great dog they had. my wife and i were not going to get another dog for quite awhile but as luck would have it i stopped by vets office that has a rescue agency sharing the same building. we have had "harley" since april 10th, she was 12 weeks old when we got her, she was born on her way to the rescue shelter and we got lucky a second time with another great dog!

i believe that dogs know the type of people who rescue dogs from shelters and respond to them in a way only a loyal faithful pet can do.

i am sorry for your loss but just know you dog had some great times with you. you gave her a good life.

Thanks for sharing. We have lost several pets over the years, one just two months ago, and it still hurts to look at pictures of them, but we always get a new one and move on, only to be faced with "that" day again down the road. Pets for me and my wife are more than just animals.

I'm really sorry. Many of us are animal lovers and have been through similar experiences - our rescue dog died last summer. It is harder than expected, but that's only because they are such great, loving and loyal family members.

Sorry for your loss, I was ok intil I looked at the picture of that beautiful dog.Now a tissue is needed . Our dog is a family member as well and It would kill me to go thru what you did also. Dogs are amazing animals .

Sorry for you loss.

I am sorry for your loss but grateful Penelope had you as an owner. Your story is both heartwarming and heartbreaking, many of us here share the same bond.

Thank you for sharing that JBJ, I am sitting here with tears after reading this. Most of us here have been through similar experiences and it hurts but the good memories are just so worth it. We lost our rescue dog Petey in January and plan to try to make 2 years without a pet because we travel at the last minute quite a bit. Neither of us think we will make it 2 years.

I am very sorry for your loss. Losing a friend sucks....

Sorry for your loss. It's great thought that you were able to give Penelope some good times after finding her.

Thank you for sharing your experience, you undoubtedly gave her a better life than she likely ever expected after being left by the owner.

The connection to our pets is incredible. Thinking about you and thank you for being such a fantastic parent for Penelope.

Thanks for sharing, very sad but that pet was loved and you gave her wonderful care and support. It's a shame that they have such a short time with us, everytime we have a dog get over 10 I start getting sadder knowing there aren't many years left, it's tough to part ways with them.

I'm sorry for your loss. It shows what kind of heart you have to go to great lengths to make sure she had a good life.

Sorry for your loss. I sobbed so much when I had to put my Jake down after fighting Cushings for over two years. We all knew when it was time but it doesn't make it any easier (I am crying at my desk while I type this). If my wife hadn't said its time to leave the vet afterward, I may still be there. Thanks goodness we were able to hit the jackpot once again with our next rescue (only a week later - we couldn't stand the house feeling so empty eventhough I still think of Jake everyday after almost 10 months).

Sorry to hear this man. Rescue dogs have a really fond place in my heart and I can empathize with your situation.

I find it truly amazing the bond that can form between a human and a dog. I've had a few come and go as I was growing up and I was fine but when KC (my dog) reaches her time it will be like losing a kid. I rescued her from a shelter when I was 18 and they guessed her age was around 2-3 years old when I got her. She was very timid because of the abuse she had in her previous home, it was to the point I couldn't wear any type of hat around here or should would coward and want to attack. I have had her going on 10 years in October and she is the best dog I have ever had. I hope you get some peace out on the course today and it sounds like you made the right call. Good luck.

Thank you for sharing, my thoughts and prayers for your own healing are sent. I had my journey of loss several years ago with my best pal of 15 years and it stays with you forever, but comfort comes in time and the knowledge that your friend is happy, safe and without pain.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I am very sorry for your loss. It looks like you did everything in your power for Penelope and I am sure she knew it and was great full for it

All- thank you so much for the kind responses. It's amazing how many people have been down this path, albeit a horrible one, and are able to provide some support. It's huge. Very much so. Thank you

I'm so sorry for your loss. Penelope was loved by you beyond any words could describe.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I remember having do the same for our family dog when I was in college. It was terrible and am not looking forward to the day when our dog comes towards the end of his life. It may not mean much now, but there is no doubt Penelope knew how much you loved and cared for her.

All- thank you so much for the kind responses. It's amazing how many people have been down this path, albeit a horrible one, and are able to provide some support. It's huge. Very much so. Thank you

So sad and such a hard thing to do. Unfortunately have had to go through it twice with family dogs and once with a cat. You did all you could for her and obliviously in those final moments when she looked at you she let you know she appreciated it.

I won't lie.. this was a tough one to read man. You did everything the right way, and Penelope was the better for it. I am sorry for your loss, and hope you find comfort in the memory of all the good times you had with her!

Back