I understand what's behind all of this. But my biggest question is:

At what cost? How much is this going to cost the American people? For a country that can rub two nickels together is seems like someone should alert the fraud waste and abuse hotline. SMH

Agree 100%

Due for redesign....I'm sure there other things the country could use rather than a face life of currency that is basically worth a fraction of the number printed on it.
All bills are redesigned regularly to fight counterfeiting.

We had this conversation at the dinner table last night. I was not aware of his role in the Trail of Tears that did so much damage to the Native American population and culture.Jackson had his run and it is ok with me if we put different people on bills more often.
I think removing Andrew Jackson is absolutely objectionable. He has a legacy of fighting cronyism and corruption, removing him is certainly symbolic. Could have replaced Lincoln or Washington, both of whom are on 2 currencies.

True. The problem exists however based on our history as a nation. Very few people on currency currently do not have some "interesting" sides to their cube of reign.

Absolutely. Very different norms back when this country was founded. Washington may be one of the exceptions in terms of people looking back - but per a couple of biographies I've read, part of that may be the result of him working really hard during his lifetime to manage how he'd be remembered. Probably due to where I grew up and live, but the revolutionary war/initial years of the county are a time I've always found fascinating.

All bills are redesigned regularly to fight counterfeiting.

I believe this was the original impetus behind the $10 redesign - it's currently the most counterfeited bill by a large margin.

I think currency is more interesting when they make occasional changes. Even 17 years after they started, I still flip quarters over to see what state or park is on it.

The only concern with frequently changing faces on bills is the potential for counterfeit and knowing whether something is legit or not. Sure that issue exists today, but consider if you received a $100 bill from someone and you are expecting to see Franklin on the bill and instead are handed one with Clinton on it? Perhaps you missed the "memo" about a new bill with Clinton on it...or, is it fake?

With change, big deal...biggest loss is $1 (Susan B Anthony) and I've received my fair share of foreign coin currency when receiving change from a business because no one really checks it -- until it's too late.

I always liked the $20. I don't really care who is on the bill as long as it still is worth $20.

1) I'm bothered that we are spending MILLIONS AND MILLIONS on changing money.

2) Jackson NEEDS to go. He was an Indian Killer through and through until his last days, truly a despicable human being IMO with me being a history teacher, eyes always go to the federalist vs anti-federalist movement for him, but they gloss over his persecution of millions of Native Americans.

I understand what's behind all of this. But my biggest question is:

At what cost? How much is this going to cost the American people? For a country that can rub two nickels together is seems like someone should alert the fraud waste and abuse hotline. SMH

Agree. With all the problems facing our country and they're up there discussing the artwork on the $20.

Its a trivial matter for me. Tubman is certainly deserving of the honor as far as I know. Change is hard, but this is not a big deal...

But that's kind of my point - this isn't that big of a deal. This is a monumental waste of time all in an effort to gain some timely good press.

There is an absolute ridiculousness to our society and country today. Ted Williams better hope they never figure out how to unfreeze his head and restore him to life, he won't want to be brought back into a society where the only opinion that matters is the one you don't hold.

I would say anytime you put a new face on a bill you are going to be acquiescing to what people are asking for. Many people wanted a woman, others wanted a black person, Tubman fits both roles.

I'm happy that she is being recognized, she deserves all the recognition she gets. I would have chosen someone who worked more with the US government, but see why Tubman

Obama gets to achieve his pandering goals an snub white America.
It's a win-win situation for him.
It has to be a zero sum game with him.

I am not a fan of the move. HT did one thing that was brave and which saved an estimated 70 slaves. For as good as those acts were they simply don't come close to rising to the level of accomplishment of the people currently on the currency, including AJ. This is the golf equivalent of replacing Bobby Jones with Althea Gisbon for no other reason than political correctness.

Obama gets to achieve his pandering goals an snub white America.
It's a win-win situation for him.
It has to be a zero sum game with him.
Really? You feel snubbed because Harriet Tubman is on a bill?

I'm white, and I don't feel snubbed at all.

I am not a fan of the move. HT did one thing that was brave and which saved an estimated 70 slaves. For as good as those acts were they simply don't come close to rising to the level of accomplishment of the people currently on the currency, including AJ. This is the golf equivalent of replacing Bobby Jones with Althea Gisbon for no other reason than political correctness.

Research Andrew Jackson more, HT's 70 far outweigh the atrocities he pushed for.

New $20 Bill

I think it's pretty neat, although I do have to ask why Taft Grant is still holding the $50 strong

Really? You feel snubbed because Harriet Tubman is on a bill?

I'm white, and I don't feel snubbed at all.

Im not sure why anyone would feel snubbed about a photo on a bill, unless they were the person being replaced.

Research Andrew Jackson more, HT's 70 far outweigh the atrocities he pushed for.

Agreed.

She was also the first women to lead an armed charge during the Civil War, and worked w/ Susan B. Anthony for women's suffrage, among other things. There are a few remarkable stories there.

I think currency is more interesting when they make occasional changes. Even 17 years after they started, I still flip quarters over to see what state or park is on it.

That's strange, Donne. I can't remember the last time I even touched a quarter! #WhereDoISwipeThePlastic?

I'm more than good with Harriet. As long as these current jackwagon race-baiters aren't candidates any time soon, and the goal is to recognized genuine American historical figures, I say have at it.

She did more than free 70 slaves. She was a player in the abolitionist movement, she was a humanitarian, a union spy, works with the woman suffrage movement and iirc she led and armed invasion in South Carolina

She was also the first women to lead an armed charge during the Civil War, and worked w/ Susan B. Anthony for women's suffrage, among other things. There are a few remarkable stories there.

While true the calling her "Leader of the Underground Railroad" in the AP article is blatantly misleading. As far as impact on society goes she may not even be the most significant Harriet.

Regarding currency in general. All of this furor pales in comparison to the stupid practice of continuing to print, rather than coin, $1 currency.

While true the calling her "Leader of the Underground Railroad" in the AP article is blatantly misleading. As far as impact on society goes she may not even be the most significant Harriet.

Regarding currency in general. All of this furor pales in comparison to the stupid practice of continuing to print, rather than coin, $1 currency.

And to still make a penny.

Some interesting commentary in here.

I have no issues with the redesign, do I have choices that I would prefer, yes, but at the end of the day, it's money. I do like the historical dialogue that it promotes though.

Back