New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

I just got new forged tec black irons 15 months ago. I can't want new irons already, right?

15 months are an eternity to have one set of irons for many THPers.

I realllllllly wanted to like these, but next to the Cally Epic Forged, they felt so... leaden in my hands. I really really really wanted to like them because aesthetically Cobra knocked it out of the park. They just felt so thumpy and chunky next to the EF

To be fair to the clubs, I'm almost certain its my swing causing the problem here... they just don't work for ME... so definitely try them out... beautiful clubs at an amazing price if they work for you!

Went back to CC and had some adjustments made to mine. Swing was better this time and the results on Trackman were what I expected to see. I’m playing tomorrow so I’ll check in with results tomorrow evening after I get home

These should be fun
dbcf4711516678a8c321cfde7247a1e3.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I finally got to play an actual round of golf on Saturday. It was mid- 40’s and my swing was not the greatest, to be honest. However, of the 10 holes where I hit a Forged Tec iron into the green, I hit 6 greens and had 4 very makeable birdie putts. Some of the greens hit were with pretty poor face contact, yet the club still got me on the green. I know that @OITW will hassle me with this statement, because I could give most a run for their money with respect to how much equipment goes through my hands, but I truly believe that this is the best set of irons for me and my needs that I have played/tried in the last three years.

c

an you provide a link to those?

I finally got to play an actual round of golf on Saturday. It was mid- 40’s and my swing was not the greatest, to be honest. However, of the 10 holes where I hit a Forged Tec iron into the green, I hit 6 greens and had 4 very makeable birdie putts. Some of the greens hit were with pretty poor face contact, yet the club still got me on the green. I know that @OITW will hassle me with this statement, because I could give most a run for their money with respect to how much equipment goes through my hands, but I truly believe that this is the best set of irons for me and my needs that I have played/tried in the last three years.

Obligatory Hassle: Only 6/10 greens Craigers? You hit 7/10 greens with a shovel. :D;)

Great thoughts, glad you got out and played buddy.

Hard Ponder on these for me - couple of other options as well. Definitely not letting ego make my decision for me.

Build is on the workbench, but on the backburner for a bit as I work the KZG review (y)

Trust me, Don’t go with blades, having went that route last year I am highly against it for many reasons. Being completely honest I hope they are not available to choose. There is no tech story and ii would think Cobra would want reviews about their new tech.

For my game —new entrant into single dig hc and dropping for now — I am tracking similarly with blades. I love the look, feel, and outcome on well-struck shots. But then a little toe-side with a 7i and I lose 25 yards. With a little more help from an iron those misses turn into 5 yards lost. I’m putting. From what I can gather the forged tec will give a lot of the playabilty benefits with that helpful extra forgiveness. I wish I could test them in my iron search.

The other option is a mixed set. I don’t know how Cobra’s iron lineup sets up there. Blades a degree or two strong in short irons and forged tec after that? Will be interesting to see how you chaps get fit at MC.

For my game —new entrant into single dig hc and dropping for now — I am tracking similarly with blades. I love the look, feel, and outcome on well-struck shots. But then a little toe-side with a 7i and I lose 25 yards. With a little more help from an iron those misses turn into 5 yards lost. I’m putting. From what I can gather the forged tec will give a lot of the playabilty benefits with that helpful extra forgiveness. I wish I could test them in my iron search.

The other option is a mixed set. I don’t know how Cobra’s iron lineup sets up there. Blades a degree or two strong in short irons and forged tec after that? Will be interesting to see how you chaps get fit at MC.

Personally, I think the Forged Tecs would not blend very well into a blade set, unless at the very top end of the bag, say a 4 and 5 iron. At least for me, they are so much longer that, even if the blade were bent a degree or so strong, there would be a big risk of gapping issues. Just one opinion...

There also would be the issue of looks. The King cb/mbs are black. There is the new set that looks like a players cavity profile. I suppose that could be a possibility, but I don’t know anyone who actually has seen it or swung it, unless one of the THP Staff has and can’t comment yet.

Personally, I think the Forged Tecs would not blend very well into a blade set, unless at the very top end of the bag, say a 4 and 5 iron. At least for me, they are so much longer that, even if the blade were bent a degree or so strong, there would be a big risk of gapping issues. Just one opinion...

There also would be the issue of looks. The King cb/mbs are black. There is the new set that looks like a players cavity profile. I suppose that could be a possibility, but I don’t know anyone who actually has seen it or swung it, unless one of the THP Staff has and can’t comment yet.

Craigers dominating this review thread, I love it!

Appreciate your presence in here bud.

Interesting. I am sold on having the option for mixed iron sets. Precision in scoring irons, more help in longer irons. Smart.

Here is an example of how long they are. Again, always the caveat that I play at elevation, but it was 45 degrees out and with that temperature, I don’t move through the ball very well. I missed the green left, but it was not a pull, where you expect it to go longer. I just hit a high draw that was going pin hunting where I shouldn’t have. For me, a 195 yard 6 iron is about 10 yards longer than I would expect. As mentioned in the previous post, these irons are really long for me. Honestly, they are almost as long as the Callaway Epic Forged irons, and everybody knows from that thread how long those irons are.

C0F1EF1C-68BB-42F8-B7D1-7EF60DF0113D.jpeg

Interesting. I am sold on having the option for mixed iron sets. Precision in scoring irons, more help in longer irons. Smart.
Fwiw, you can get plenty of precision with these.

Fwiw, you can get plenty of precision with these.

Would love to try them. My wide ranging exploration of irons has been helpful. I am learning a lot about what works for me. These are on my radar, just not on my current availability list to test or get fit into. Fun to learn about how they work for others.

Here is an example of how long they are. Again, always the caveat that I play at elevation, but it was 45 degrees out and with that temperature, I don’t move through the ball very well. I missed the green left, but it was not a pull, where you expect it to go longer. I just hit a high draw that was going pin hunting where I shouldn’t have. For me, a 195 yard 6 iron is about 10 yards longer than I would expect. As mentioned in the previous post, these irons are really long for me. Honestly, they are almost as long as the Callaway Epic Forged irons, and everybody knows from that thread how long those irons are.

View attachment 8926185
I had the chance to hit them at the PGASuperstore yesterday in SLC. And I'll second that. These clubs are long. I was hitting the 7i on the monitor 188 carry. But like you the monitor is set to elevation of about 4200. But still about 10 yds longer than my Apex Pros.

these would be at or near the top of the list if I were changing irons this year.

I have only had 4 swings with a 7 iron at the golf store in a stock steel shaft and I am still infatuated with them. I didn’t hit them much farther than my current 7 iron, but all 4 nearly landed on each other on the monitor. I also hit the Speedzone and could see me playing either set. Whichever has the better dispersion when I get fit, I will probably get. But when I look at these I get the feeling I could really play some golf. So maybe I will just lie to you all and tell you that these had better dispersion regardless of how the fitting goes. ;)

I'm Dying to try these Puppies out for Size.

Just one spin around the block.

These and the Speedzone :drinks:

Leaving the catalyst dream in the past due to the weight and lack of 100s offered. Strongly leaving Elevates. These may be ordered by the end of the weekend if this keeps up

Leaving the catalyst dream in the past due to the weight and lack of 100s offered. Strongly leaving Elevates. These may be ordered by the end of the weekend if this keeps up
Through who? Don’t believe Elevates are on the Cobra site? Or did that change after I ordered (which would be about right :()

Through who? Don’t believe Elevates are on the Cobra site? Or did that change after I ordered (which would be about right :()
I think they are on there. No tour, but standard are if I remember correctly. Time to check again - will report back!

Back