New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

I purchased one lengths, and I had them install Modus 120's in them and requested swing weight D2, they sent them D5. It has been a tough time getting these clubs in my hands (ordered them on Jan 3, first time they came a 1/2 shorter than I ordered, sent them back, were supposed to fix them, reshaft and re-weight, nope just reshafted (my guess)), sent them with the wrong grips (I bought the correct ones and did it myself), then they felt like shovels, swing weighted them and they were d5. Back to Cobra. Supposed to have them back Weds, I am leaving for a two week trip south to play). Was hoping to have some range time and rounds logged, I guess not... :mad:
Wow that is awful. Sadly its not the first I've heard of Cobra's custom dept dropping the ball on a custom order.

I feel like I'd already have a slightly used set of these if the overwhelming number of them being resold already weren't one length.

From a completely uninformed position (don't know numbers produced, distributed, sold, comped, etc) it honestly doesn't reflect well on the one length thing. The head size is the only other thing that pushed owners away from them on the resales I've been watching.

I feel like I'd already have a slightly used set of these if the overwhelming number of them being resold already weren't one length.

From a completely uninformed position (don't know numbers produced, distributed, sold, comped, etc) it honestly doesn't reflect well on the one length thing. The head size is the only other thing that pushed owners away from them on the resales I've been watching.

One length definitely isn't a cure-all and it won't work for everyone. I really have enjoyed my time with One Length irons but I could easily go back to a traditional set.

Sadly a lot of people get OL clubs either thinking they are magic, or they don't give them an honest chance. I'm never surprised when someone says they "tried it and didn't like it"

Sadly a lot of people get OL clubs either thinking they are magic, or they don't give them an honest chance. I'm never surprised when someone says they "tried it and didn't like it"
I could see that. I just don't want to try it, and I can reshaft obviously, but you can't really bend a OL set back to normal.

It could also be an indication of how many people like the clubs, if not that many standard sets are being resold, too.

Wow that is awful. Sadly its not the first I've heard of Cobra's custom dept dropping the ball on a custom order.
Well to their credit the clubs were on my door step step when I got home today so I will have them for my trip. We shall see what they did on the swing weight. I spoke to Sean who is the supervisor over at Cobra and he told me they wouldn’t be able to get them to D2 (and they refused to either replace the heads that half of them were not hit), or refund after three issues and weeks of not having them and having to send them back twice. But he would have them try to get them close, they still feel heavy (I would guess D4 as they feel like swinging a lob wedge, but not as heavy as they were D5). I Won’t be able to swing weight them till tomorrow. I don’t care about a refund but if they can’t get it right and they messed up why stick me with their screw up. I know callaway and Taylormade would have no problem getting it right and building the set properly. Cobra is just not a very good company in my opinion because of this. Regardless of how this one length experiment goes I will likely not purchase from them again.

Well to their credit the clubs were on my door step step when I got home today so I will have them for my trip. We shall see what they did on the swing weight. I spoke to Sean who is the supervisor over at Cobra and he told me they wouldn’t be able to get them to D2 (and they refused to either replace the heads that half of them were not hit), or refund after three issues and weeks of not having them and having to send them back twice. But he would have them try to get them close, they still feel heavy (I would guess D4 as they feel like swinging a lob wedge, but not as heavy as they were D5). I Won’t be able to swing weight them till tomorrow. I don’t care about a refund but if they can’t get it right and they messed up why stick me with their screw up. I know callaway and Taylormade would have no problem getting it right and building the set properly. Cobra is just not a very good company in my opinion because of this. Regardless of how this one length experiment goes I will likely not purchase from them again.
I wouldn’t go that far I think Cobra is a fantastic company and they have great products. Don’t let one bad experience ruin it for you

Sorry to hear that, I’ve never had build issues from them.

Well just swing weighted them and they are still d5. They did nothing?? Cobra absolutely sucks

Me, either, and I have owned a lot of Cobra equipment, much ordered directly. I hate to hear stories like that.

Well just swing weighted them and they are still d5. They did nothing?? Cobra absolutely sucks

That stinks. Maybe try a different SW scale if you can?

I've had two issues with them on custom orders. It has never been with irons though.

Tried out a 7i with a modus 3 x flex. Very nice and seemed pretty accurate on the simulator.

I wouldn’t go that far I think Cobra is a fantastic company and they have great products. Don’t let one bad experience ruin it for you
just very frustrating when I’m used to Callaway and Srixon who get it right all the time, or fix it properly. I didn’t feel like Cobra cared to get it right. I think in the end Callay does 1.7 Billion last year and Cobra will struggle to not go bankrupt because they don’t value doing the right thing.

Last edited:
That stinks. Maybe try a different SW scale if you can?

I've had two issues with them on custom orders. It has never been with irons though.
This scale is dead on. I tried other clubs and these irons SW heavier than my lob wedge

Bummer, sorry to hear that.

See you in the buy/sell/trade forum in a few? :D Too soon? ;)
lol... for sale overweight one lengths, bad Quality, if you really Don’t want one length to work buy these.

Last edited:
This scale is dead on. I tried other clubs and these irons SW heavier than my lob wedge
That's really unfortunate. This is the opposite of what I've experienced when dealing with their customer service. I would want to speak with a manager and ask what was going on with those clubs. That doesn't seem right at all.

D5 sounds ideal to me.

Then again it is actually ideal for me. ;)

That's really unfortunate. This is the opposite of what I've experienced when dealing with their customer service. I would want to speak with a manager and ask what was going on with those clubs. That doesn't seem right at all.
I spoke to the manager/supervisor (Sean People). He assured me they would be fixed, but wouldn't build a new set correctly weighted, just try to fix the ones they sent (and not like they were used either, only 3 clubs in the set were out of the plastic).

Last edited:
D5 sounds ideal to me.

Then again it is actually ideal for me. ;)
I know where you can get a good deal on these. (Only a few heads have been hit) ;)

I spoke to the manager/supervisor (Sean People). He assured me they would be fixed, but wouldn't build a new set correctly weighted, just try to fix the ones they sent (and not like they were used either, only 3 clubs in the set were out of the plastic).
I would follow up with a phone call for sure then and ask him to be accountable. If they stayed at D5 I would be unhappy as well and want answers.

Does anybody know if the heads for the OL are weighted differently than the standard heads with the Forged Tecs?

Does anybody know if the heads for the OL are weighted differently than the standard heads with the Forged Tecs?
Part of the OL design is heads weighing the same.

Yup. All clubs through my setup are built to D5.
Which shafts? Mine were build with Modus 120s hardstepped across the set, I wonder if that is the issue.

Last edited:
I am not sure of the questtion. If @Tenputt is asking if the Forged Tec heads are the same in both sets (one length and variable), they aren't. I know the lie angle in both sets is slightly different and I am pretty sure if you weighed a 5 iron head from each set that they would weigh different. But definitely like Jman says, OL should be the same swing weight throughout the set.

I don't know the head weight but the overall weight of the One Length clubs I ordered was that each one was between 431-435 grams.

I understand that the idea is that they are to weigh the same when assembled with shaft, but I am wondering if put on a scale, a 9 iron OL head weighs the same as a standard 9 iron head.

I understand that the idea is that they are to weigh the same when assembled with shaft, but I am wondering if put on a scale, a 9 iron OL head weighs the same as a standard 9 iron head.

I dont have firsthand facts to base this on, but I don't think so. From watching reviews, the way that they get a longer shafted 9 iron to go the correct distance is by reducing mass. Likewise, the way that they increase distance on a shorter shafted 5 iron is by increasing mass. I just wouldnt want someone to buy some one length forged tec heads and try slapping them into their current iron shafts. If someone has some facts to agree or disagree, please share. I am basing my answer off of a youtube Cobra fitting I watched (toward the end is when they discuss one length, maybe around 30 minute mark)

The head weights across the OL set are the same, not just the finished build. Originally I believe Cobra went with 270g for each head in the set.

I really want these with either the Catalyst shafts 6.0 or DG 105 VSS - guess it's catalyst 80

The head weights across the OL set are the same, not just the finished build. Originally I believe Cobra went with 270g for each head in the set.

I sent an email into Cobra to ask the same question I posed in this thread. My email and the response from customer service is attached. It goes to show how much knowledge is here on the forum. Thanks, @Jman. The point, though, as mentioned by @oumagic, is that you could not buy a set of OL heads on eBay and build yourself a set of standard length irons or have a set with “blue screws,” as @Canadan pines for. Ha ha :LOL:

ED301B0E-97DE-46FC-9ABC-F16162A1E47F.jpeg

I really want these with either the Catalyst shafts 6.0 or DG 105 VSS - guess it's catalyst 80
Is the DG 105 in their shaft selection with VSS?

Back