New Lofts Getting a Little Crazy

smgoldstein

2022 Goat Cupper
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Saw the below specs for the new Epon 706. Epon is not the only one, but these strong lofts have really gotten out of hand.

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 4.07.44 PM.png

It's the easiest way to get Club #'s "longer" each year

The weird thing with that set is they're not that crazy at the low end. I think the 5i in the Apex pros is something like 23*? So I was confused, then I saw the 40* PW and the "TW". These are in the same bin as the Epic/Mavrik/Sim MAX OS and some of the Honma offerings. As long as I know what club I need to hit what distance, I don't really care. But some of this has to be driven by the fact people are just hitting 7i off a monitor and comparing distances half the time in big box stores.

Who sets the rules on what lofts are numbered what clubs?

I often wonder if the people angry about this are also angry that a shirt labeled Medium is a Large from a few decades ago? I’m guessing not. 😀

The problem here is WTF is a TW. Cross that *ish out and renumber 4-PW and we are in business.

**Get off my lawn ;)

Reactions: Ooo
My Epic Forged are 1* weaker, so no real issue with these.

The problem here is WTF is a TW. Cross that *ish out and renumber 4-PW and we are in business.

**Get off my lawn ;)
I want 4-10. Honma is in consideration heavily for next irons because I love the idea of a 10i instead of PW.

But mostly I don't care lofts as long as I can hit all of my yardage gaps.

The AW and SW are 50/56 I think that's fine.

I want 4-10. Honma is in consideration heavily for next irons because I love the idea of a 10i instead of PW.

But mostly I don't care lofts as long as I can hit all of my yardage gaps.

Blasphemy. #PWforLife ;)

the epon af-tour mb ii pw is 48*. i'm incensed because that is too weak. where's my pitchfork?!

• Haha
Reactions: JB
I don't care what the number on the bottom of the club. I care about the distance a club goes and if it stops like it is supposed to.

The weird thing with that set is they're not that crazy at the low end. I think the 5i in the Apex pros is something like 23*? So I was confused, then I saw the 40* PW and the "TW". These are in the same bin as the Epic/Mavrik/Sim MAX OS and some of the Honma offerings. As long as I know what club I need to hit what distance, I don't really care. But some of this has to be driven by the fact people are just hitting 7i off a monitor and comparing distances half the time in big box stores.
Apex Pro 5i is 26. The 4i is 23. Regular apex would be closer. 23.5 in the 5 I think.

Companies just need to go UHX on the soles. Put the lofts on there so everyone knows what's what.

Who sets the rules on what lofts are numbered what clubs?

I often wonder if the people angry about this are also angry that a shirt labeled Medium is a Large from a few decades ago? I’m guessing not. 😀

But I feel so thin in a medium... Large makes me want to cry.. haha.

The problem is people get on a 160 yard par 3 and already have it in their head, "I need to hit a 7 iron." If you get fit and the gaps and descent angles are in the right window, who cares what the loft is? You hit the club that goes the right distance, whether it's a 4 iron or a 6 iron.

I don't mean 'need' like have to. Just that if everyone threw it out there, it would make things easier. These discussions might go like crap either way, but I for one would LOVE not to have to look up a clubs stock lofts 5 times a week. Even the people that sell them have to look them up when asked or checking/changing lofts.

I don't mean 'need' like have to. Just that if everyone threw it out there, it would make things easier. These discussions might go like crap either way, but I for one would LOVE not to have to look up a clubs stock lofts 5 times a week. Even the people that sell them have to look them up when asked or checking/changing lofts.
I can make the case the only people that seem to care are those that would never play stronger lofts anyway,

I just want to know what TW stands for. I can't figure it out even on their site.

What good does a loft do, though? Two clubs could have the same loft and launch differently from one another, completely erasing any value of loft visualization.

What good does a loft do, though? Two clubs could have the same loft and launch differently from one another, completely erasing any value of loft visualization.
Is there any standardization of launch and landing for iron numbers though? At the end of the day doesn't the person need to know what a club does regardless of what is stamped on the club?

Back