New Lofts Getting a Little Crazy

Companies just need to go UHX on the soles. Put the lofts on there so everyone knows what's what.
I'd hate that. I have my clubs worked out so I know a 7 iron goes 150, PW goes 120, etc. I don't wanna have to learn my numbers all over again by loft instead of club number.

I'd hate that. I have my clubs worked out so I know a 7 iron goes 150, PW goes 120, etc. I don't wanna have to learn my numbers all over again by loft instead of club number.
You wouldn't have to learn anything. UHX has them as club#/loft on the sole. There's both. It's pretty cool.

You wouldn't have to learn anything. UHX has them as club#/loft on the sole. There's both. It's pretty cool.
isn't it fair to say that lofts do more to deter golfers than aid them when it comes to irons?

(which is pretty damn funny considering they are plastered all over every other club except the putter)

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Lofts don’t matter to me. It took me a few rounds to get used to hitting an iron with a 8 on it vs 7 with my prior set but I’m fine with it now.

Apex Pro 5i is 26. The 4i is 23. Regular apex would be closer. 23.5 in the 5 I think.

Ah yes, I misspoke. I definitely meant the regular Apex.

Looks like Epon has invented a new wedge called a TW. Stupid.

I get both sides. One says "there is no standard so who cares?" And the other says "get off my lawn!".

Still, I'll enjoy my lawn chair & my cold Molson while I yell at the young punks. I see a future where my bag consists of "LW SW AW PW TW QW HW BW NW 4H 3H" and I want no part of it lol.

isn't it fair to say that lofts do more to deter golfers than aid them when it comes to irons?

(which is pretty damn funny considering they are plastered all over every other club except the putter)
Deter how?

For the record I'm still working and am probably totally missing out on important parts of the discussion here as a skim and work. I still haven't even had a chance to respond to your earlier one.

Looks like Epon has invented a new wedge called a TW. Stupid.

I get both sides. One says "there is no standard so who cares?" And the other says "get off my lawn!".

Still, I'll enjoy my lawn chair & my cold Molson while I yell at the young punks. I see a future where my bag consists of "LW SW AW PW TW QW HW BW NW 4H 3H" and I want no part of it lol.
The bolded part is why I am in favor of the stamping of numbers. For my brain numbers make way more sense than letters/colors. I don't have a dog in the fight. As long as I have a club that I can hit 200-210 with my irons I don't care what the number is stamped on it. I wouldn't care if one of the companies decided a modern 4 iron was now a 1 iron.

Back to the most pressing part of the topic for me. I need a 10 iron.

The bolded part is why I am in favor of the stamping of numbers. For my brain numbers make way more sense than letters/colors. I don't have a dog in the fight. As long as I have a club that I can hit 200-210 with my irons I don't care what the number is stamped on it. I wouldn't care if one of the companies decided a modern 4 iron was now a 1 iron.

Back to the most pressing part of the topic for me. I need a 10 iron.
I gamed a Hogan set for a couple years with loft stamped on them, and I enjoyed it. My 37 went 160. My 29 went 185. Easy.

Ultimately I don't care if people want to call their 25* club a 5 iron, a 7 iron, a Super Wedge, or a Pickup Truck. Let's play golf!

I gamed a Hogan set for a couple years with loft stamped on them, and I enjoyed it. My 37 went 160. My 29 went 185. Easy.

Ultimately I don't care if people want to call their 25* club a 5 iron, a 7 iron, a Super Wedge, or a Pickup Truck. Let's play golf!
I strengthened the loft of my putter. Can we still be friends?

Yeah, it doesn't matter to me if it is our current order/the order of the lofts/ you had your yardages stamped on it, 10/20/30/40/50/ect, count by 2's, any number. Numbers just make sense to me.

Deter how?

For the record I'm still working and am probably totally missing out on important parts of the discussion here as a skim and work. I still haven't even had a chance to respond to your earlier one.
How DARE you. :ROFLMAO:

I mean the average golfer goes into the store after reading a 'jacked loft' argument online and avoid a strong lofted set (like UHX) despite their specific needs being catered to by that company in the club design? That sort of poorly educated buyer that doesn't really know what fits but knows what the twitters thinks?

I don’t care what the lifts are. I am only going to hit my lob wedge so far and driver so far. As long as the rest of the bag gaps properly I don’t care how it happens 🤷

Saw the below specs for the new Epon 706. Epon is not the only one, but these strong lofts have really gotten out of hand.

View attachment 8977719

I can't find length specs for these clubs.. but if the 5 iron plays at 4 iron length this set is a joke.

There's a few young high handicap players at my club playing strong lofted shovels who love to boast about how far they hit it.

Can't hold a green to save themselves, but as long as their 22 degree 7 iron goes 180 yards apparently that's all that matters.

I just want to know what TW stands for. I can't figure it out even on their site.

Typo Wedge

Because every club is stamped one off what it should be :sneaky:

How DARE you. :ROFLMAO:

I mean the average golfer goes into the store after reading a 'jacked loft' argument online and avoid a strong lofted set (like UHX) despite their specific needs being catered to by that company in the club design? That sort of poorly educated buyer that doesn't really know what fits but knows what the twitters thinks?
Right?! Priorities are backwards here.

Does the 'average golfer' read jacked lofts arguments? I don't think the average golfer even plays the same model ball throughout a round.

I think the people that don't know much about it will play whatever the advertising and/or fitter tells them or shows them works for them. My wife's slow swinging 71 year old uncle hits a 7i further than I do, because that's what the guy that sold him the clubs told him and showed him. Until I actually hit one twice as far or something, that's the reality I live in. :LOL:

Last edited:
Play what you like. I have some pretty strong lofted clubs, and haven’t found anything deficient with them. Its the same that I’d tell anyone - play the clubs you enjoy regardless of the number or loft on them

I hit my strong lofted P790’s higher than any iron I’ve used previously, so I don’t really care about lofts. Don’t even tell me, it’s irrelevant to me. I just want to know how far I hit it.

Last edited:
I hit my strong lofted P790’s higher than any iron I’ve used previously, so I don’t really care about lofts. Don’t even tell me, it’s irrelevant to me. I just want to know how far I hit it.

It does seem kind of silly. They could remove the TW and move each stamp back one and have normal lofts.

I think it's all a plot from the wedge manufacturers so they can sell everyone more wedges. :cool:

It never really makes sense to me in terms of the reason to do it, for me I'd take the TW as my PW and so on.
Personally I don't pay attention to the numbers when looking at new clubs these days, I look at the lofts and the gapping throughout the set.
If you do your research and find the lofts that work for you then that's what important.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Back