the challenge for mizuno will be in the messaging for anyone who tried the last iteration. this is miles better in every conceivable way.
It's a tough road to climb, but a few pictures of a ball that doesn't look like a Precept on the outside should definitely help. I talked about this with a store here recently, because they didn't even sell the last version. Or didn't after their initial ones. And they sell just about everything. Which sucks, and I was leaning on them to give these new ones a chance.

Awesome! I've played every Mizuno product except their golf balls. Time to give them a spin!

What?! I never would have guessed that. You're a Mizuno guy!

It's a tough road to climb, but a few pictures of a ball that doesn't look like a Precept on the outside should definitely help. I talked about this with a store here recently, because they didn't even sell the last version. Or didn't after their initial ones. And they sell just about everything. Which sucks, and I was leaning on them to give these new ones a chance.

i so hope people try this new ball. i have been blown away by it so far.

Only heard good things about these. Loved the nugget walker said on 17.

Looking forward to this! Some really good things said during the Victory Cup about these balls! Even a comment about them being better than a certain Pro ball.

Looking forward to these. All the reports from the Victory Cup were so high on them.

People have mentioned durability a bunch, but I feel like initial price point makes more of a difference. Not everyone is hard on golf balls, or hangs onto them long enough to wear them out. And most premium balls cost a bit.

I would certainly try some if I found them. I have never once seen a Mizuno golf ball.

Looking forward to the opportunity to sign up for testing/reviewing these for the THP Forum! :drinks:

I never tried the RB Tour balls, but I have played a previous Mizuno ball and it seemd okay at the time, but my game has moved on a lot since then

Probably the wrong time of year here in the UK to test them, but I will keep an eye on the thread to see what people have to say once they start hitting them

It will be interesting to read what those who have played the balls have to say. I know most reports from the Victory Cup were very positive.

Really eager to hear more. I played the previous version a lot and there was a lot for me to like at that point with spin, but I know these were supposed to be a big change.

X post from the What Ball thread

We were told we were allowed to share our experiences just not the packaging with the new mizuno ball (Tour/TourX). Now that the cat is outta the bag on it existing I figured I’d share some thoughts.

My most comfortable gamer ball is a PV1 so all comparisons will be towards that. Particularly useful in this situation because that's what the Mizuno engineers modeled these balls after. I've played their Tour ball most because the TourX launches in a bit too high of a window for my liking. It's not problematically high just higher than I like to play.

The Tour ball feels a lot like PV1 off the face. Differences are minimal off the tee. I might be seeing a few more yards with PV1 but a lot of that could be because the PV1 has been the second ball I've hit off the tee when comparing and maybe I'm putting a little better swing on it? Dispersion between the two is very tight. I can't say any of those things about Mizuno's old tour ball (I have old posts in here about them). The old one was way too spinny and I would either lose distance or the big miss right would become even bigger. Massive improvements have been made to these balls off the tee.

Using Irons it really shines as well. With the old ball I would get a very weird ball flight of starting off on a penetrating trajectory that I tend to enjoy but then midway through ball flight it would shoot up in the air and die. I'm not seeing any of that with the new Tour ball. It feels and sounds very satisfying off the face of irons as well. I haven't had the opportunity to get the ball on a sim for spin numbers but a friend I trust has and spin numbers are maintaining in a pretty decent window (a fraction lower than PV1 but much more on that later).

Around the green is where I haven't quite gotten used to them yet. Maybe it's because I've gotten very used to the way PV1 and TP5x perform around the green but it's been hard for me to get a feel for what this ball is going to do on short little chips and pitches under 100. It isn't bad or anything just different and I need to spend more time with it to figure out how it's going to check and roll out.

I think the big question for a lot of people is 'How is the durability'. The old balls had very big problems with the cover holding up. I'm not a tremendous speed swinger (83.9 with 8 iron) and I think it's important to keep in mind that I'm using irons and wedges with very fresh grooves. I didn't have any issues with durability at TPC when playing in the Victory Cup but I also only played the same ball for maybe 6 shots before Sawgrass ate it :ROFLMAO:. Once I got back to my home course where I know my way around a little better I was able to make one last. Out of the 5 balls I've played so far two of them have cover damage. One happened out of a green side bunker using a very fresh 58º wedge. It was a particularly explosive shot to get the ball up and out. I wasn't surprised by there being significant scuffage. The other I'm a little more perplexed by it was after a 7i shot that I took a little off of so I could get in good position for a GIR into a par 5. Now I don't remember hitting a tree or the path previously but it's possible there are a couple of blind spots on my course. Either way these balls lasted several more holes than I could expect from previous models.

Overall I think it's a really solid ball from Mizuno it puts up comparable numbers to the PV1 and performs similarly (for me). The engineers at Mizzy have done an incredible job remaking this ball. It's completely unrecognizable from their old Tour/X. I think they deserve a serious look from everyone. I know at least one of my Victory Cup brethren is smitten with the new ball. Give them a shot when they release.

Or, in the case of this thread... when THP sends you some. I'm so curious to hear the thoughts on them from other THP'ers.

I will definitely be looking to grab a couple sleeves (or maybe a dozen) of these next year for testing. Love Mizuno stuff, and expect these will be excellent.

I had very little over all issue with what I will call the old ball - played both the tour and tour X. Interestingly (or not) I had both good and bad days, some days I felt the ball did not go, but others, I would switch to the RB midround and all of a sudden it did what it was supposed to do. I cannot recall this kind of variation with another ball - also I did not have the durability issues that many have experienced, I even asked Vosh at last years event about that, he said (or so I think he said) they made a slight in-line change to address durability) - maybe I mis heard (it happens), or I just don't hit it hard enough, but I have had many experiences since (and with the RBs) with trees, sand, cart paths, etc - to see damage - and for what it was worth it was no worse nor better any any competitor (in that respect). So after all that, if these new balls are really different - I cannot wait to try them head to head - see what to expect. That may be a while the last of my RB Xs are in storage for another month or 2.

I'll say this one thing - these new balls are so much better than the last iteration in every possible way. so much better.

Really excited to hear what others think of the new ball. I know myself and the other Victory Cup guys really enjoyed the new ball vs the last iteration.

My most comfortable gamer ball is a PV1 so all comparisons will be towards that. Particularly useful in this situation because that's what the Mizuno engineers modeled these balls after.

this may be splitting hairs, but my takeaway wasn't so much that the mizuno engineers were modeling the new ball after pv1. more so they were benchmarking their new ball against pv1 with the goal to create an even better ball. i'm not a pv1 guy so i can't say whether they did, but i can say they absolutely produced a ball that equals and possibly outperforms my previous gamer that i've been using for 2 years.

I think the big question for a lot of people is 'How is the durability'. The old balls had very big problems with the cover holding up. I'm not a tremendous speed swinger (83.9 with 8 iron) and I think it's important to keep in mind that I'm using irons and wedges with very fresh grooves. I didn't have any issues with durability at TPC when playing in the Victory Cup but I also only played the same ball for maybe 6 shots before Sawgrass ate it :ROFLMAO:. Once I got back to my home course where I know my way around a little better I was able to make one last. Out of the 5 balls I've played so far two of them have cover damage. One happened out of a green side bunker using a very fresh 58º wedge. It was a particularly explosive shot to get the ball up and out. I wasn't surprised by there being significant scuffage. The other I'm a little more perplexed by it was after a 7i shot that I took a little off of so I could get in good position for a GIR into a par 5. Now I don't remember hitting a tree or the path previously but it's possible there are a couple of blind spots on my course. Either way these balls lasted several more holes than I could expect from previous models.

same for me. out of greenside bunkers, with these new wedges that have fresh grooves, i have torn the cover all but one time. two things to note about that: 1- this is still a massive improvement over the previous iteration that would get torn if you looked at it sideways, and 2- greenside bunker durability was a huge problem with the white version of the last ball i played forcing me to switch to yellow that did a bit better.

this may be splitting hairs, but my takeaway wasn't so much that the mizuno engineers were modeling the new ball after pv1. more so they were benchmarking their new ball against pv1 with the goal to create an even better ball. i'm not a pv1 guy so i can't say whether they did, but i can say they absolutely produced a ball that equals and possibly outperforms my previous gamer that i've been using for 2 years.
Yeah, maybe ‘modeling’ was the wrong word but it certainly sounded like it influenced the ball they were engineering ‘benchmarking’ is probably the better word. I think they did a solid job. I can’t wait for feedback from others here on how much better they think the balls are!

I will wait for the full release thread to go into some details that we learned about the new balls that we are probably not supposed to share yet. However I will say that I have really enjoyed my time with these. I have been exclusively playing the one model which performs great. Launches high, has good spin, goes a long way off the tee, and still has really nice soft feel off the face, and good performance around the greens. I did not play the previous model but in speaking with the rest of the guys in the VC who had, these are an enormous improvement in all areas. This new ball could easily be my gamer. It really is extremely good. I hope people will give them a chance, I think they will be pleasantly surprised.

ooo looking forward to this one...

I will wait for the full release thread to go into some details that we learned about the new balls that we are probably not supposed to share yet. However I will say that I have really enjoyed my time with these. I have been exclusively playing the one model which performs great. Launches high, has good spin, goes a long way off the tee, and still has really nice soft feel off the face, and good performance around the greens. I did not play the previous model but in speaking with the rest of the guys in the VC who had, these are an enormous improvement in all areas. This new ball could easily be my gamer. It really is extremely good. I hope people will give them a chance, I think they will be pleasantly surprised.

i believe you and i are playing the same version, and i agree 1,000% with the bolded part. we had a hurricane come through our area not a week ago, but the course i played yesterday was surprisingly dry. i know the course i played yesterday very well, and i was MILES past my typical landing spots. i'm talking 30+ yards past... now, i've messed with the loft on my driver, i've started working on some swing stuff too. so it's not apples to apples. but when gps puts the number 3 in front of any drive i hit, that's some brand new territory for me.

i ADORE this golf ball. it took me to an undefeated record at the victory cup. and since putting it in play back home i’ve broken 80 every time. every thing about it is fantastic! #gamer

I am one of the few who still really love the current X. Even tho it doesn't quite have the distance of the CSX.

From reading your experience so far, this could be a great ball for me. And it sounds like the changes they made are superb.

Will be buying the day they hit shelves, and taking to a monitor for some comparo data.

Back