New Release: Callaway Apex UW

@xThor -Are there any size or shape changes on the new UW vs the first edition? Any spec changes? What have you seen so far compared to original UW? Maybe you have posted, but I haven't seen a lot of comparison vs the first one. Maybe I missed it. Thanks in advance!

Also, any comparisons to the new Super Hybrid? The 16* super hybrid is the same length as the 17* UW which I find interesting - basically a slightly longer hybrid and a slightly shorter fairway wood. I'm considering pulling out my 3-wood in favor of one of these two.

@xThor -Are there any size or shape changes on the new UW vs the first edition? Any spec changes? What have you seen so far compared to original UW? Maybe you have posted, but I haven't seen a lot of comparison vs the first one. Maybe I missed it. Thanks in advance!

I just dropped off my sample heads, so I’ll be able to get a pic later this week.

It feels hotter, gets through the turf a bit easier. I have an old Apex 19* (at 20*) with a Ventus blue, whereas I ordered the 2024 UW at 21* with the stock MMT. Getting the same distance with a bit more loft

I just dropped off my sample heads, so I’ll be able to get a pic later this week.

It feels hotter, gets through the turf a bit easier. I have an old Apex 19* (at 20*) with a Ventus blue, whereas I ordered the 2024 UW at 21* with the stock MMT. Getting the same distance with a bit more loft
Thanks @xThor . Much appreciated.

Literally just started hooking the crap out of this club.. Must need the new one..

UW 21* saved me on the last hole today, after a less than stellar drive.
:D

I tend to let me wrists cup back a little on my longer clubs. So today we were working on that and i started with my 21* UW. I have said it before but these clubs are just exceptional. They are so easy to launch and very useful on the courses we have here! I am going to stay away from trying the new one lol!

My last few rounds I have been on the struggle bus with my uws. Very high and short. I know I am coming in steep. Finally today I stepped back a bit farther and hit a few nice ones with the mid trajectory ball flight I like to see. Extra range time this week with the uws is in order.

Literally just started hooking the crap out of this club.. Must need the new one..
Yes you do. Make sure you have it before Dormie Club so I can give it a test 😂

Any thoughts regarding the stock shafts in these OG models? Looks like they are the Hazardous Smoke RDX 70 or 80. I’m going to get in the hunt, but don’t do new.

Any thoughts regarding the stock shafts in these OG models? Looks like they are the Hazardous Smoke RDX 70 or 80. I’m going to get in the hunt, but don’t do new.
Hzrdus black is not the easiest to launch. It fit the window for me in the 21°, but I was getting low, low knuckleballs with it in the 17°.

If you are seriously looking, message me.

I have the LAPG Trono in my OG 17° and it launches easily although not as high as the RDX Smoke Black in my 21°. I believe it is the 80 gm shaft in the 21° and I can hit it high or low easily. Applies to both heads off tee or off the deck.

I know the new ones are out, but I hit my 17* so well. The past few rounds I’ve just hit some amazing shots. I had a horrible drive on a par 4, left me about 200ish out, tree trouble. There was a window but I needed to launch it high (which I have no problem doing with this club) and I just hit the window perfect, a laser to the green, pin high. This club is the safest one in my bag.

I was crushing the 17-21 today. They got used off the tee a lot as the course we played has many lay up or hard dog leg holes. The guy that was in our group was asking me what they were and loved the performance he saw. Hopefully he goes and tries them out!

I didnt pull my UW too often today, only twice, but this thing continues to be an absolute weapon for me when used.

Less than perfect tee shot left me with about 300 in on a Par 5. Pulled the UW and absolutely crushed it with a perfect shot and got a big kick off a hill. Left with about 70 yards to the pin, hit my wedge perfect then crapped the bed and missed the putt.

I think I need to start using the UW a bit more off the tee on some of the shorter par 4s. It's so damn consistent.

The spot between my 4i and 3w has always been the most difficult for me to fill. I've tried a stronger lofted 3i, a 2i, utility, and a 5w. The UW is the club I didn't know I needed. I initially dismissed the UW because I don't do hybrids and assumed it was a beefier hybrid, but I was wrong. Playing at 41.5, it is a remarkable club because I'm getting all the benefits of control and accuracy that comes with a shorter club but not sacrificing distance.

That control and distance has made the UW an absolute weapon in my bag. I'm playing it at 19* and after a failed attempt with a 5w and utility, the UW has become a mainstay off the tee and for the occasional use from the fairway on par 5s. The spin numbers I have seen on the monitor put it in the 'low spin' category, which is perfect for someone who is trying to manage spin. I currently have a Ventus 8x black shaft, playing at the standard length. Even though the UW is in the lower spin side, I don't have any issues with lack of forgiveness on less than perfect strikes. It's about as close to a point and shoot club as I have in the bag. I have to put a particularly bad swing on it to find trouble.

The UW has an interesting shape. It's fairly deep to my eye like a fairway and close to a hybrid I would say from front to back. I've found I can swing down a bit with the UW like an iron, which gives me extra confidence when I am trying to find a fairway. One thing I was concerned about with the UW was I would hit it too high and it would be unplayable for me in windy conditions. That is not the case at all. I played in windy conditions this past weekend and the UW held its line quite well and didn't see any ballooning or excessive distance loss.

Dumb question as I’ve never seen one of these in the wild: Are all the lofts the same size head or do they get progressively smaller with higher lofts?

EDIT: including the older models

The 17* is an absolute weapon for me. I hit it three times today. Once, I hit it on a second shot on a very uphill par four, after I snap hooked a drive that bounced back into play off a tree, but left me 230 yards to the green. I hit the UW on my second shot and was just off the green, leaving me a great chance for saving my par. I hit it off the tee on a par four and left myself a wedge, which resulted in a one putt birdie. I also hit is on a second shot on a par 5, leaving me and up and down for another birdie. For me, this is like having a strong 5 wood that elevates better and that I can also hit with more precision.

Dumb question as I’ve never seen one of these in the wild: Are all the lofts the same size head or do they get progressively smaller with higher lofts?

I don't know. I looked around for specs on that, but couldn't find it.

They look identical to me this is my 17* and my 21*. New grips installed on mine and ready for the weekend tournament!
UW.jpg

I've said it in here before, but the UW is so fun to hit. I've been playing around 6500, which is the distance thereabouts I anticipate we will be playing in the Grandaddy and the UW has been my go-to off the tee. It's reliable and I can work it either way. I'm not sacrificing the distance of a fairway wood and the misses are more manageable.

I've said it in here before, but the UW is so fun to hit. I've been playing around 6500, which is the distance thereabouts I anticipate we will be playing in the Grandaddy and the UW has been my go-to off the tee. It's reliable and I can work it either way. I'm not sacrificing the distance of a fairway wood and the misses are more manageable.
I hit the UW longer than my 3W. I dont know why, but I am not upset about it. I am fairly certain I can drop the 3W and the Heavenwood out of my bag and not skip a beat.

Back