New True Temper Prototype DG AMT Shaft

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
New shaft is appearing this week on tour in prototype form. Pretty neat concept as the PW is the standard weight and then as you move down, each club is 3 grams lighter.

Interesting concept for sure.

Very interesting. Cannot wait to hear some more on these

Hmmm, simple, makes sense, yet first concept on its kind on the market?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So unless you add a little weight to the head as you go down, won't you go down 1 SW point starting with the 7 iron and go down one from there when you hit the 4 iron? I would think the lighter shafts in the longer irons will help with launch.

Very interesting idea. Looking forward to hearing more about this concept and how it will play out.

I like the sounds of that concept for sure. Can't wait to hear how they feel and play.

Hmmm very interesting. Be curious to try these out.

It's interesting. I know there have been iron shafts out that that have gotten heavier the closer you get to the PW. Not sure how each gram specific those were.

Hmmm, simple, makes sense, yet first concept on its kind on the market?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I believe that the Aerotech Players Spec and Nippon 999gh shafts are the same concept.

I wonder if these are a heavier version of something like the AWT shafts they made for PING back in the G10-G15 irons. I was a fan of those.

I have read a lot of people stating the longer irons should get progressively lighter. I would be very interested to hit something like this. For most average golfers, long irons are more difficult to hit since they are longer and heavier.

How does that work, the 3 iron is 24 grams less than the PW. That just seems odd and confusing to me. I would lthink that would throw you off a bit. But I just swing them, I have no idea how to design. I look forward to some feedback

New shaft is appearing this week on tour in prototype form. Pretty neat concept as the PW is the standard weight and then as you move down, each club is 3 grams lighter.

So if my math is correct would the 3 iron shaft be 21 grams lighter? I am by no means a shaft expert, far from it, one of the things I'm trying to improve on in 2015. But let's assume a the regular DG irons are 130grams, say that's the PW and the 3 iron would be 109?

Really like this idea

This is actually pretty interesting and I hope I get a chance to test them out at some point if they go past the proto stage.

In my mind, this makes me think of MOI matching and how swingweights get progressively heavier as the lofts get higher.

This is actually pretty interesting and I hope I get a chance to test them out at some point if they go past the proto stage.

In my mind, this makes me think of MOI matching and how swingweights get progressively heavier as the lofts get higher.

Read my mind. I think this could be a "mild" look into the future.

I think it's got a lot of merit behind it. The issue for many builders/fitters ends up being that it's not that easy to learn and not that easy to do. Very cool stuff.

Very cool. Love my TT's. Definitely interested in hearing more about these.

So in normal sets, the swing weight of a PW is heavier than the swing weight of a 3 iron? And these shafts, in theory, would even out the swing weight throughout the set?

This is obviously something I know nothing about…

So in normal sets, the swing weight of a PW is heavier than the swing weight of a 3 iron? And these shafts, in theory, would even out the swing weight throughout the set?

This is obviously something I know nothing about…

No, they are usually static through the whole set, though wedges will step up in swing weight. Most notably in aftermarket wedges.

This would be a lower swingweight in the long irons and progressively getting heavier up to the wedge.

The theory behind MOI matching is really complex, so I won't bore you too much. In a nutshell, with the ascending swingweights, the idea is that equal force is needed to swing each club.

Intriguing!!! I wonder how quickly this concept will be accepted if it's tour approved. Big change there for constant weighting.

I get excited every time I see new offerings from TrueTemper. Definitely look forward to some specs and reviews.

These are definitely interesting and would be cool to try out. I read elsewhere that the thought behind them was that most bag setups go from lightest shaft weight in the driver, down to the heaviest shaft weight in the wedges, ie: 75g driver, 85g fairway, 100g hybrid, then 105-130g in the irons to wedges.

Could this same progressive weighting be used in graphite versions?

Back