New video game "The Golf Club"

Use the sharp flatten tool (the one without the tapering edges) and position it over the fairway and raise it a tiny bit. This will flatten the fairway

I was thinking of just lowering it cuz then it'll be a stupid big drop off to the water. Does the "difficulty" meter only control wind?

Just set the record on Jack's Landing at 64. I know one of you guys can beat that!!

This game is a ton of fun. Difficult, no doubt about it, but fun.

Except for Mercer Hollow. That course is absolute garbage. :alien: And the Hunt for red october cc is a close 2nd. Haha

I was thinking of just lowering it cuz then it'll be a stupid big drop off to the water. Does the "difficulty" meter only control wind?
Lowering it works too just as long as you flatten only the fairway

That's the problem with the water. I wanted some holes to run along water but it just slopes the fairway toward it. #5 comes to mind. I'm going to edit some things and repost tonight including the dang wind and the auto generated Ridonkulong holes.

I think the wind changes every time you play the course. And that was one of the bigger issues with your course, because the landing points were so tight, and the greens have so much slope, it was nearly impossible to play it right on each hole.

I think the wind changes every time you play the course. And that was one of the bigger issues with your course, because the landing points were so tight, and the greens have so much slope, it was nearly impossible to play it right on each hole.
Correct. Wind is random on each play through

Definitely going to download this tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I will create an 18 hole course with no water trees or hills and flat greens...

I know Dev will love it.

Here are the nit-picky things thus far:

- I don't like the panning feature every single time you advance to your next shot. It screws me up and I have to double take triangle to get out of it. Dumb feature.
- Having extremely limited options for clothing is disappointing. But then again, it's not like the online gameplay shows your friends, just their balls.
- No customizations for golf clubs -- Not even putter shape -- Seems way low tech
- Their should be various degrees of difficulty that can be set. Have course records based on 'casual' and 'standard' so people who aren't great at the game can enjoy it
- You shouldn't have to take a baseball swing to get a 60 footer to go 35 feet.
- Deep rough mechanics are too punishing.
- Fairway bunker mechanics are insanely unrealistic. Not even worth placing them on the course if the player can't club up and get home from there.
- Commentator, while awesome and Canadian, is far too casual.
- Sloping process should include a leveling feature. Raising uneven ground remains uneven.

With all this in mind, I'm still having a ton of fun and will enjoy the game for a long time I think -- Just a few things that would make the game fantastic.

Because the game selects the prevailing wind, at anything more than 7mph destroys the concept of holes when they are blowing in the wrong direction.

You should be able to define wind direction, and the min-max that your course plays to.

- I don't like the panning feature every single time you advance to your next shot. It screws me up and I have to double take triangle to get out of it. Dumb feature.
- Having extremely limited options for clothing is disappointing. But then again, it's not like the online gameplay shows your friends, just their balls.
- No customizations for golf clubs -- Not even putter shape -- Seems way low tech
- Their should be various degrees of difficulty that can be set. Have course records based on 'casual' and 'standard' so people who aren't great at the game can enjoy it
- Fairway bunker mechanics are insanely unrealistic. Not even worth placing them on the course if the player can't club up and get home from there.
- Sloping process should include a leveling feature. Raising uneven ground remains uneven.

With all this in mind, I'm still having a ton of fun and will enjoy the game for a long time I think -- Just a few things that would make the game fantastic.

They have a forum where the creators of the game are very active. I think it would be worth posting this stuff in there man. They have been good about making fixes. I will throw it in there if you don't want to.

They have a forum where the creators of the game are very active. I think it would be worth posting this stuff in there man. They have been good about making fixes. I will throw it in there if you don't want to.

Yeah I think I'll do that -- Good call Taylor.

The putting mechanic is strange. But I read on their forums once, that where you put the yellow marker aiming triangle on the green effects what the putting stroke looks like. Basically, if you put the triangle 10 feet out, your putting stroke 'animation' will slow up at the moment where you would hit about 10 feet, supposedly making it easier to hit 10 feet. If you have a 10 foot putt, and move that little triangle to 60 feet, it "might" be harder to pinpoint the putting stroke length, but will be much easier to hit a long putt. I've played with that 'mechanic' and it has some merit, although it still doesn't always make a lot of sense.

As for difficulty, I think they have talked about adding a 'handicap' feature to players sometime in the future. That would add some level of a fix to your difficulty setting. However, I'm sure they are wrestling with how to prevent sandbagging.

Use "flatten" instead of "raise" to get uniform level ground within your brush. It works for me. Although it doesn't always work the way I think it should.

~Rock

The putting mechanic is strange. But I read on their forums once, that where you put the yellow marker aiming triangle on the green effects what the putting stroke looks like. Basically, if you put the triangle 10 feet out, your putting stroke 'animation' will slow up at the moment where you would hit about 10 feet, supposedly making it easier to hit 10 feet. If you have a 10 foot putt, and move that little triangle to 60 feet, it "might" be harder to pinpoint the putting stroke length, but will be much easier to hit a long putt. I've played with that 'mechanic' and it has some merit, although it still doesn't always make a lot of sense.

As for difficulty, I think they have talked about adding a 'handicap' feature to players sometime in the future. That would add some level of a fix to your difficulty setting. However, I'm sure they are wrestling with how to prevent sandbagging.

Use "flatten" instead of "raise" to get uniform level ground within your brush. It works for me. Although it doesn't always work the way I think it should.

~Rock

I was messing with it last night and couldn't get level surfaces -- Will try again today to see what comes of it. Rickus Rompus will be without break (at least I hope).

And to the handicapping -- Who cares how people play the game? Tiger had varying difficulties, and so should this. Have different leaderboards for different difficulties and it really doesn't matter -- Does it?

I club up out of sand all the time. Depends how buried you are. This morning I hit a 5i sand shot to 3ft from like 160, so it will work.

I club up out of sand all the time. Depends how buried you are. This morning I hit a 5i sand shot to 3ft from like 160, so it will work.

I agree, however the logic behind what gets buried is weird. I've just barely rolled into a fairway bunker and had I think 55% of the ball showing. That is completely ridiculous hahaha

On the fly, I agree with you completely.

I was messing with it last night and couldn't get level surfaces -- Will try again today to see what comes of it. Rickus Rompus will be without break (at least I hope).

And to the handicapping -- Who cares how people play the game? Tiger had varying difficulties, and so should this. Have different leaderboards for different difficulties and it really doesn't matter -- Does it?

I think their idea of "difficulty" is green firmness and speed. But since everyone plays the same course, whether a casual gamer or not, I don't think it would solve your problem at all. I'd be for it if they can find a way to do it without destroying the "uniform" concept of the game. That uniform concept being, we all have the same base skill set, and the only way to improve is to practice, because your driver is only going to go so far. I suppose they could open up, or parse out, leaderboards based on how many rounds a person has played. A leaderboard for persons with fewer than 50 rounds, 100 rounds, etc. That would be pretty simple I would think.

For the flattening, I think it has a small quirk in it, which I will try to explain. Let's say you have a tee box that isn't flat. The left side is 2 meters lower than the right side. If you put the brush over it, with the flatten tool, and "raise/flatten" it 1 meter, then the left side will still be 1 meter lower than the right. But if you "raise/flatten" it 3 meters, then the left side will raise 3 meters, the right side will raise 1 meter, and you will have a flat tee box. I can't confirm that for sure, because the Xbone has quite a bug with the 'sculpting terrain" tools, but in my limited use of the course creator, that appeared to be how it worked. So then, once flattened to one uniform level, you could 'flatten' the entire surface up or down to match what you want. It's sort of a 2 step process.

I agree, with flattening, it should literally be a one step deal. Highlight object, click button, and boom, its flat. But that apparently is not how they designed it.

~Rock

I think their idea of "difficulty" is green firmness and speed. But since everyone plays the same course, whether a casual gamer or not, I don't think it would solve your problem at all. I'd be for it if they can find a way to do it without destroying the "uniform" concept of the game. That uniform concept being, we all have the same base skill set, and the only way to improve is to practice, because your driver is only going to go so far. I suppose they could open up, or parse out, leaderboards based on how many rounds a person has played. A leaderboard for persons with fewer than 50 rounds, 100 rounds, etc. That would be pretty simple I would think.

For the flattening, I think it has a small quirk in it, which I will try to explain. Let's say you have a tee box that isn't flat. The left side is 2 meters lower than the right side. If you put the brush over it, with the flatten tool, and "raise/flatten" it 1 meter, then the left side will still be 1 meter lower than the right. But if you "raise/flatten" it 3 meters, then the left side will raise 3 meters, the right side will raise 1 meter, and you will have a flat tee box. I can't confirm that for sure, because the Xbone has quite a bug with the 'sculpting terrain" tools, but in my limited use of the course creator, that appeared to be how it worked. So then, once flattened to one uniform level, you could 'flatten' the entire surface up or down to match what you want. It's sort of a 2 step process.

I agree, with flattening, it should literally be a one step deal. Highlight object, click button, and boom, its flat. But that apparently is not how they designed it.

~Rock

I think it's great they want a uniform game, and I'll admit while it's been frustrating playing on a more difficult setting than I used to play Tiger on, I have enjoyed the challenge... However, not everyone who picks this game up wants to be extremely good at slamming a thumb stick back and forth perfectly, and reading putts to go in the center of the cup each time (because we all know the side door is broken).

They'll have people lose interest when they continuously shoot over par, and they'll stop playing the game. If they make it so there is a casual setting that runs on a totally different leaderboard system, it should not interfere with the uniformity of the game. It is a pretty basic principle in nearly every sports game ever created for console based gaming.

Dan, but is that what they're going for?

I get the feeling they're going more for the Microsoft Flight Simulator type game rather than trying to capture the largest user base.

and yet, with two more tries, I still can't get sub-par. wtf

I left about 6 putts and inch short for birdies and had a few blow up holes. I never 3 putt. It's either 1,2,or 4+

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Dan, but is that what they're going for?

I get the feeling they're going more for the Microsoft Flight Simulator type game rather than trying to capture the largest user base.

haha how the hell should I know? I just want to play a golf game that isn't stupid on next gen. If they can't make it fun for everyone, they are going to have a small niche of dudes who actually think being competent at video game golf means something to the world, and I'll be with everyone else playing casual Tiger not Tiger Woods EA Sports releases.

And when the almighty EA adapts and sorts out quality course design, these guys will be buried in irrelevancy if they don't adapt to the majority of players who are interested in golf gaming.

That'd be hilarious if they genuinely didn't care about the marketshare. Because yeah, who wants to make money when you can have video game golf integrity and spirit?!

~Rock
I believe that if the yellow marker is in the correct spot its 3% more likely to go in. Well thats something.
Also a feature I like with the putting to get more accurate is (am on xbone) to hit "B" putt view button, and get it to the exact angle you want (I kinda go overhead for long putts, ground level for short ones), then click down on the stick. It will then allow you to putt from the selected angle. Makes it easier to see how far back the putter is going, than the default angle you putt from.

Wow! Absolutely amazing .. I wish I had the kind of time it would take though lol! Unreal! Thanks!

You can generate a completely new course in mere seconds but then spend countless hours tweaking it to your liking.

Here is an early video of the course creator. Since this video they've added even more options.

Back