Nike Lunar Control 4

Some will always hate the swoosh no matter what they do

I think there is some of that for sure. I also think that when you take something that has been a certain way for so long and change it, you have to expect scrutiny.
Let's face it, putting the swoosh on the toe, is there for only one reason, branding. Unlike other sports, in golf, you do look down a large amount of time, and others are looking down at the foot area on TV, thats the reason this was done. To show the brand on TV when tour players are lining up a putt.

I will use the clubs as an analogy. Could you imagine if TaylorMade decided to put the name of their brand on the top line? The world would explode.

Apparently the swoosh is a hard thing to get over. I have other Nike shoes with that exact swoosh. Doesn't bother me. But these felt real darn good.

It's just too much. It's like they didn't think the shoe had enough design aesthetics and they went for the first thing they could think of to fill up space.

I really don't get it. I tried a pair on at Dicks the other night and didn't mind the fit (they don't seem as boxy as the 3s) but the swooshes are just unnecessary.

It's just too much. It's like they didn't think the shoe had enough design aesthetics and they went for the first thing they could think of to fill up space.

I really don't get it. I tried a pair on at Dicks the other night and didn't mind the fit (they don't seem as boxy as the 3s) but the swooshes are just unnecessary.

it's very soccer-y to me.

I think there is some of that for sure. I also think that when you take something that has been a certain way for so long and change it, you have to expect scrutiny.
Let's face it, putting the swoosh on the toe, is there for only one reason, branding. Unlike other sports, in golf, you do look down a large amount of time, and others are looking down at the foot area on TV, thats the reason this was done. To show the brand on TV when tour players are lining up a putt.

I will use the clubs as an analogy. Could you imagine if TaylorMade decided to put the name of their brand on the top line? The world would explode.
No doubt it's a branding/marketing move. When I saw them in person I thought the pictures looked better to be honest.

It follows all their others lines though. Soccer cleats have had the same swoosh for a couple years now and you definitely see it when watching games. Nike has literally taken over soccer from Adidas so they did something right IMO.

Golfers are an odd bunch though. They tend to fight change at every turn. I'm not calling anyone out here. Just a general observation

No doubt it's a branding/marketing move. When I saw them in person I thought the pictures looked better to be honest.

It follows all their others lines though. Soccer cleats have had the same swoosh for a couple years now and you definitely see it when watching games. Nike has literally taken over soccer from Adidas so they did something right IMO.

Golfers are an odd bunch though. They tend to fight change at every turn. I'm not calling anyone out here. Just a general observation

What part of making 50% of a shoe an advertisement is "change" though?

Like JB, I was a huge fan of the early stages of Lunar from Nike. They unfortunately designed their way out of my interest with the last couple generations of lunars between both fit and pretty terrible design elements. Adding a gigantor swoosh isn't going to drive interest on the golf course, and if they are that desperate for a monstrous advertisement on tour, make the idiotic super swoosh shoes tour only and give normal golfers a reasonably sized shoes.

I agree with the soccer reference, and it makes me like the design even less.

For me, I really don't notice the swoosh after wearing them for a bit. And they are pretty darn comfy.

They still look 1000x better than the new FJ's.

That might be it. Since I am a soccer fan, I like the look

I really liked the last version of the LC's. I tried these on and they were just OK to me. The new FJ FreeStyle was way ahead of it in terms of comfort for me.

But, has Nike stepped ahead or backward when the defense of their designs now includes "better looking than FJ"? hahaha... Not sure that's a crown I'd want to wear.

But, has Nike stepped ahead or backward when the defense of their designs now includes "better looking than FJ"? hahaha... Not sure that's a crown I'd want to wear.

Depends who you ask apparently. I actually really like the LC4's.

Depends on the color pattern I think, I know that sounds like a cop out. FJ's for me were much more comfortable though. IF I had to spend my money on a pair, I'd lean FJ.

Depends on the color pattern I think, I know that sounds like a cop out. FJ's for me were much more comfortable though. IF I had to spend my money on a pair, I'd lean FJ.

I can agree with that

I don't know. If you're better looking than the market leader, you might be onto something? Just a guess

Have soccer boots with the swoosh on the toe and training shoes as well. Not the first time Nike has done it in footwear, won't be the last. I don't mind it at all, myself. Like many design aspects, everyone will feel different about it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I really liked the last version of the LC's. I tried these on and they were just OK to me. The new FJ FreeStyle was way ahead of it in terms of comfort for me.
The FJs were darn comfy. I know that comfy matters, part of me is really thinking how ideal super soft and comfy a foot bed should be for golf. My train of thought, since the ground is already an inconsistent surface why make for more inconsistencies. I would think that super soft and squishy soles on soft ground could lead to issues of unpredictable movements.

This is just me thinking with consideration of what I like to wear in the gym and how stable that feels. At some point, firmness needs to happen. I don't design shoes and I'm sure great minds are thinking about it. But squishy soles are not always a good thing for other sports.

I don't know. If you're better looking than the market leader, you might be onto something? Just a guess

FootJoy is many things in golf, but progressive in visual design is not a category I'd ever put them in the lead with (at least in my head). The marketshare they own boggles my mind every single year, but it's no more mind boggling than watching 85mph swinging 20+ handicaps buy two dozen ProV1x's right before their round at my home course. Eventually, it'll catch up with them.

FootJoy is many things in golf, but progressive in visual design is not a category I'd ever put them in the lead with (at least in my head). The marketshare they own boggles my mind every single year, but it's no more mind boggling than watching 85mph swinging 20+ handicaps buy two dozen ProV1x's right before their round at my home course. Eventually, it'll catch up with them.
I would say many amateur golfers are boring and predictable.

Titleist knows that people will buy Pro-Vs no matter what they cost and footjoys look boring because many golfers are boring. A little flair and a lot of golfers lose their mind that their shoes look too busy.

Just my cynical view

I agree the new LCs have the soccer-y feel and not surprised nike went that route. I like the 3s but prefer the look of the 2s.

From om a comfort standpoint the FJ freestyles are very comfortable and there are a couple color choices I would consider buying.

Nike Lunar Control 4

It aligns with their other sports footwear (football, baseball, soccer, etc), I don't understand why this design on a golf shoe is so mind boggling to some people? It's a sports shoe and this is in line with the rest of their offerings. Is it different? Yes, but to many people the same old thing year in and year out is boring. Traditionalists won't like these, the same as they wont like the fly knit chukkas or the new collar design on their polos...but I highly doubt Nike cares.

It aligns with their other sports footwear (football, baseball, soccer, etc), I don't understand why this design on a golf shoe is so mind boggling to some people? It's a sports shoe and this is in line with the rest of their offerings. Is it different? Yes, but to many people the same old thing year in and year out is boring. Traditionalists won't like these, the same as they wont like the fly knit chukkas or the new collar design on their polos...but I highly doubt Nike cares.

If they were in a leader in marketshare they wouldnt care. They aren't, so they care.
Golf is a different segment of athlete and some could argue that this is the exact reason why they have gone no where in other golf segments. Trying to align sports together rather than studying what works in different segments and running with it.

If they were in a leader in marketshare they wouldnt care. They aren't, so they care.
Golf is a different segment of athlete and some could argue that this is the exact reason why they have gone no where in other golf segments. Trying to align sports together rather than studying what works in different segments and running with it.

Perhaps it's an attempt to differentiate themselves in order to steal marketshare outside of the segment they've already proven they can't win/compete in? If they can't win in the traditional segment like you say, it'd be a little silly to keep failing there without experimenting elsewhere, no?

Remember those flat billed golf hats everyone hated a few years back because they "weren't meant for a golf course"? They seem to have turned out pretty well. Sometimes it pays to be different, and sometimes it pays to appeal to the younger crowd or the non traditional crowd.

Not saying this is going to be gold for Nike, but I doubt they will flop completely on it. I have a few friends (not big time golf traditionalists) who love this design. It's grown on me, but I'm still a bit indifferent on them.

For what it's worth, there's nothing mind boggling about piggy backing another sport shoe design -- It's just a matter of preference and one I think looks goofy on a golf shoe. No different than the UA polos with the obnoxiously large logo on the chest.

There's a difference between being traditional and being gaudy. I'd argue the Lunars of this year, minus the obnoxious swoosh, are more traditional than the spaceshoe looking Lunar 3.

For what it's worth, there's nothing mind boggling about piggy backing another sport shoe design -- It's just a matter of preference and one I think looks goofy on a golf shoe. No different than the UA polos with the obnoxiously large logo on the chest.

There's a difference between being traditional and being gaudy. I'd argue the Lunars of this year, minus the obnoxious swoosh, are more traditional than the spaceshoe looking Lunar 3.

To me its about listening to the audience, rather than dictating, which is what they can do in every other sport. Every other segment, the consumer has told them something.

Back