Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Hell if I know. Supposedly it helps though

I thought we were supposed to take all shots like bunker shots. This could be a game changer.

Back on topic. I am going to do my chipping tonight at the practice green.

Strange how these irons only got the 'silver' on the hotlist. I wonder what their justification was!

Great reviews from everyone. I'm loving the pictures and videos! Thanks :)

I got these irons in May this year and can safely say that they are awesome! I was playing with Callaway x-14's for 9 years, but really got too much height on them. They were great for improving but not for getting really low.

The whole VR Combo set feels great from low to high irons. I was worried about moving to the more 'blade' style but find them easy to hit and good to control. I would definitely recommend them.

Good stuff Craig. Welcome to THP!

Once again I must state how awesome the blades are. Easy to hit, great turf interaction and holy fishcake does that ball get up quick. I don't use my PW around the green generally but I could see using the VR quite a lot for chips.

I headed out after work today for a short game session. Up until now, I did not dedicate time at the range to just practicing chipping, etc. I used both an 8 iron and a PW in today's practice. The 8 iron worked exactly as I expected it would - ball jumped off the club face fairly low; your typical bump and run shot.

Now, here is where I would like to see what the other testers are seeing. I setup 45 yards from a hole. There was 25 yards to the edge of the green and 20 yards from the edge of green to the hole. There was about a 3 foot incline right in front of the green so I was chipping onto an elevated green (which may play a critical factor in what I saw today).

I was very surprised at how low the PW shot stayed during the chip and how the ball (shag balls) reacted after landing. I would carry it just to the edge of the green and it would release all the way to the hole (20 yards) and often still roll past it. I thought if I could hit a higher shot and land it in the same spot I could stop the ball at the hole or just short. No matter where I positioned the ball I could not really hit a higher shot to that point.

I do not know if this is a combination of chipping slightly "uphill" and hitting shag balls that are not going to check up well. As I have mentioned before, the blades just seem really hot off the clubface to me. Guessing that is because of the solid backed blades versus a cavity and having more mass, etc through impact. Just seemed that no matter what I did from that 45 yard distance it just ran and ran. I know I could hit a higher lofted wedge and that would definitely get it up there and sit down quicker but just wondering if the other testers happen to notice the PW staying fairly low and also pretty hot?

Once again I must state how awesome the blades are. Easy to hit, great turf interaction and holy fishcake does that ball get up quick. I don't use my PW around the green generally but I could see using the VR quite a lot for chips.

I am glad these are working out so well for you!

I am glad these are working out so well for you!

Haven't ponied up for them yet but I like them. Trying to choose between these and the CB's is driving me and the fitter crazy.

Mcook: I've heard that from a couple of other people actually about the Blade face being super hot for low distance shots. I imagine that's what makes them easier to hit at close to their max distance

Well I just got back from a little chipping practice. I normally chipped with the GW in my Di11's so the PW in this set is right about the same loft. I saw some interesting things in terms of release with the Nike. The Di11 had way more spin. It was a little uncontrollable which is what I experienced when playing them. It was easily the worst part of my game while playing the 11's. The Nike on the other hand was what could best be described as a straight release. It would hit the green, check up just a little, and then roll straight on the line. There was very little side movement on good chips. I think if I practice a lot with my chipping, I could get dangerous. Really liked chipping with it

You guys win. I caved an ordered my Combo's tonight after a pretty extensive fitting.

As it turns out, where I did the fitting, the manager there is good friends with one of the Vancouver Nike guys and had him bring over a bunch of other shafts they offer for compairison's sake. End result was that I actually ended up with Dynamic gold super lights in stiff. Less distance then the PX's but my dispertion was even tighter with the SL's espcially when tired and got the bonus of no upcharge over the standard cost. Woot woot!

Looks like it's going to be 3 weeks though for the custom order to come in though but them's the breaks.

Awesome reviews! How is the finish holding up?

Finish is holding up great. I've had a little bag chatter (not much) and a few tiny scratches on some of the faces, which is very minimal and probably from sand or something. Other than that, they look new. I posted a few pics a couple days ago.

Glad to hear you guys are loving these irons....I'll be ready for new irons sometime in September and these will be on my short list!

I keep iron covers on mine (insert lame joke here :D) and mine basically look brand new.

And congrats Super Tuna - you will not be disappointed!!

You guys win. I caved an ordered my Combo's tonight after a pretty extensive fitting.

As it turns out, where I did the fitting, the manager there is good friends with one of the Vancouver Nike guys and had him bring over a bunch of other shafts they offer for compairison's sake. End result was that I actually ended up with Dynamic gold super lights in stiff. Less distance then the PX's but my dispertion was even tighter with the SL's espcially when tired and got the bonus of no upcharge over the standard cost. Woot woot!

Looks like it's going to be 3 weeks though for the custom order to come in though but them's the breaks.

I knew you'd cave. That is awesome ST. I think your handicap is going to like this choice

Just back from the course. The VR Pro Combos got a baptism of fire as I hadn't had the chance to get to a range to hit them. Have to say that I was very impressed with them. I hit 3 bad iron shots all round (and I am putting that down to being in between clubs and not knowing how far I can hit them yet).

The lofts are the same as my old set apart from the 4 and 5i (which are 1* stronger) but the clubs are 1/2" shorter (my old irons were +1/2"). Due to this I think I have lost a little distance with each club but I fully expect to get this back once I get used to how these feel.

I hit every iron apart from the 4i and have to say I loved the feel of them all. I am going to love the blades for sure as they just feel perfect at address.

As others have said the turf interaction with these is really nice, my divots were nice and shallow with all the clubs

I had no problem cleaning them after shots either.

Will add more tomorrow as I plan on hitting the range to try to get dialed in and get used to the weight and feel.

Glad to see you out there with them Mike! Looking forward to how they come around for you.

I have no doubt that they will come round for me. I am coming from clubs with Stiff shafts that were +1/2" longer to Regular and standard length so I expected to be a little indifferent with them today. I have made a great start with them and things can only get better

I knew you'd cave. That is awesome ST. I think your handicap is going to like this choice

I swear you have some sort of the voodoo power when talking people into iron sets : p

I didn't multi quote so forgive me if I missed something relevant.

A few of my golfing friends used to call me the "plow" because I could really send some turf flying with my irons. These clubs cut a fine line through even hardpan and as I mentioned before, most of my divots are dollar bill sized. I enjoy the consistency these provide.

Close in chipping is usually made by a wedge but by not carrying one lately, I can say that the PW does an adequate job. The ball will check in most occasions and then roll pretty smooth. From about 80 and out it is a marvel. Pull the string and watch the backup. I love that.

Virtually no wear whatsoever. This really surprised me as bag chatter was expected but so far so good. The faces are cleaned after every shot(most of the time) and they are looking like new.

I am crazy for my choice in shafts. Aside from the great looks of the black shaft, the KBS is providing a very consistent ball flight that one of my regular buddies said was so sweet he went out and purchased new KBS shafts.

Guys, I really want to find something wrong with this set of irons so I can report on it. Problem is, the only fault I find is my inability to master the 3 & 4. When I connect with these irons(3 & 4) the shot is a thing of beauty and these clubs are longgg. That only happens on 5 out of 7 shots though and that really gripes me. But believe me, it is not the club, it is me!

PW from short distances- I use the PW from all over the place and it is very predictable and consistent with it's check and then run out distance. I've had no problems with getting balls to check up, but this is on the course and not with range balls so I'm sure that has quite a bit to do with it.

Finish- The finish looks brand new still. I wipe them clean after every shot, but I have no iron covers, and chatter is minimal.

Turf interaction- It's perfect. These clubs are really helping me strike down on the ball more without having to worry about getting stuck or bouncing off the turf like some GIs. Out of the rough I've hit some shots that surprise myself. The heavier club heads just cut right on through it and I haven't had any problems with the rough shutting the club face down on me either.

I'm glad to see we have a few people that have jumped on the sale that Nike is running on these right now too. I could definitely see plenty of people these clubs don't work for, but if they do work for you, you should jump on the sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swear you have some sort of the voodoo power when talking people into iron sets : p

LOL I go with the annoy till they cave technique.

today was the first day i got to take my combos to the range. they have been being regripped, ect. and i wasn't in a hurry to put them in play.

Looks- first impressions weren't anything serious, as my brother also plays the combos and I have used players/smaller irons since i started playing. the one thing that i did find exceptional was the way the c tapers looked in the chrome heads....pretty sweet. i only really used the 8 and 5 iron just for a comparison versus my ap2's. this is the first time i have ever seen the ap2's as "bigger" irons.

feel- typical forged feel. pretty solid through the ball and have a bit more powerful feeling than the lighter, wispy feeling i got with the ap2's. this could also be due to the change from s300 buttery feel to kbs c taper solid feel.

distance- this was interesting with all the rave about the c tapers. i found my 8 iron comparable to the ap2's, about 150-155. the long irons are the real deal though. i average about 183ish carry with my ap2 5 iron, but was carrying 195-200 with the combo 5 iron. this coincides with all of the reviews that mention the c tapers really shining in mid and long irons. mishits were decent with the short irons but seemed almost on the money with the longer irons.

cons- the new groove design (more grooves) make them harder to clean haha. other than that theres really nothing to mention.

mini c taper (s+ 125) review: the shafts launch a bit higher than the s300 for me. im still not completely confident in the irons overall only because they havent been out on the course or in competition yet, so some discrepancy is expected. i did find the feel of the shafts to be superb if you like a controllable yet powerful shaft with the slightest hint of stoutness. as far as distance goes, short irons are comparable to other shafts, but mid and long irons really do experience gains which was excellent especially for long par 3's. awesome kbs quality and quite a sweet look with the satin. i had about 3 people as me what the material was because they couldnt figure it out.

Testing VR Pro Combos? Yeah, I'll be following this forum like a hunter on a buck. I hit these the other day at golf galaxy, and loved them. Looking to make a switch from my Cleveland Reds. They did well for as long as they could, I'm just looking for something newer nowadays.

Back