Odyssey Triple Track Putters

30 putts today with the Doublewide puTTer. Lags where great, I only left one lag putt outside of 5 feet. The new insert feels really good and puts a nice roll on the ball.

30 putts today with the Doublewide puTTer. Lags where great, I only left one lag putt outside of 5 feet. The new insert feels really good and puts a nice roll on the ball.

30 putts is pretty good for mid-January!

Got to demo a couple of these on Saturday and 2-ball blade has me in ponder mode

does golf galaxy have a professional fitting service on putters?

it might be location specific. i'm pretty sure the one in Orlando does not.

Alright then, ready? :p

I've now got a lot of time on grass and mat with the 2-Ball TT SL putter in hand for review and am ready to get a little more detailed in thoughts.

1) My only real criticism first, and out of the way, its a personal grips so take that fwiw. I loathe the stock grip. Its both form and function for me, but more than that, in this case as 'Merican as I am its a little too red, white, and blue for me. Like I said, personal, and I'm sure many of you will take issue with that :cool:

2) The 2-Ball shape is one I've never spent much time with, and I'm not sure why other than I'm just not a mallet putter guy. As for the putter shape, man, its no wonder its maybe the most sold mallet shape of all time. The dual alignment of the 2-ball shapes themselves is just really good. I'm a left eye dominant guy who usually struggles with single lines so maybe this is something I should have looked at before.

3) I stand by all of my thoughts on the SL Black setup done in the Ten and BoP review when it comes to roll and feel. For me, its a little too firm as when I use an insert I want soft, but, it does precisely what they designed it to do, and does it well. Definitely more audible feedback than I remember from an Odyssey insert in a while.

4) The TT alignment. Well, I have missed more putts left with this than ever, but wait, its a compliment. Why? Because it has exposed how freaking lazy I have gotten with my setup and alignment, and how RIGHT that I have been set up. Seriously, the alignment has been pretty revelation inducing for me in the review. I have used it with a TT golf ball and without, and personally I prefer it without. But, if you do use it with a ball, the only thing you have to fault for missed putts are how you align the ball and if you read the break correct because holy visual confidence batman.

I'm more impressed than I thought I would be in a putter alignment system with just a few minutes of R&D behind it. ;):p

These could legitimately help golfers putt better. For reals.

Nice write up @Jman

I am certainly needing to go out and try these and get a fitting. This can only help me with my poor putting, any help I can get I will take, that's for sure.

Having only seen these from pictures, I can only concur with your only criticism, the grip is a bit too loud for me, I would certainly select a different grip when I order one.

Nice write up @Jman

I am certainly needing to go out and try these and get a fitting. This can only help me with my poor putting, any help I can get I will take, that's for sure.

Having only seen these from pictures, I can only concur with your only criticism, the grip is a bit too loud for me, I would certainly select a different grip when I order one.
Yeah, its an easy fix, but I always think its worth mentioning.

@Jman great thoughts on this.
I honestly think this would help my putting as my stroke is pretty good but I do miss alignment at times. I just don’t know if I can roll it with the look of it, but I am going to try to find one to demo and “try” to go into it with an open mind

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

@Jman great thoughts on this.
I honestly think this would help my putting as my stroke is pretty good but I do miss alignment at times. I just don’t know if I can roll it with the look of it, but I am going to try to find one to demo and “try” to go into it with an open mind

Almost Fiddy Plus 2
That'll be the crux for many IMO. In the end, something can be REALLY good, but if visually it just doesn't jive with preferences, then it won't work.

I'd like to try the Ten with the TT after working with the 2-Ball, and I pretty much panned the TT Ten when we first saw pics.

Hmmmm maybe a TT doublewide. So confused. :ROFLMAO:

I wish the TT alignment wasn't lower than the topline, I know it still works, but as Sean has said, it does impact effectiveness.

I wish the TT alignment wasn't lower than the topline, I know it still works, but as Sean has said, it does impact effectiveness.
Why? Your eyes are still seeing the same thing. It is still allowing you to line up the putter face perpendicular to the line.

If you like a blade with mallet forgiveness you should try this for sure. I have been pleasantly surprised so far since rolling this puTTer.

If you like a blade with mallet forgiveness you should try this for sure. I have been pleasantly surprised so far since rolling this puTTer.
Oh I have no doubt about it. I’m not supposed to be spending any money until we sell the lake house.

Why? Your eyes are still seeing the same thing. It is still allowing you to line up the putter face perpendicular to the line.
Disagree. The placement of the alignment setup in relation to the ball matters.

Does it still work? Yes. Is it as efficient/effective? No. That is from the mouth of Sean Toulon himself.

Does it still work? Yes. Is it as efficient/effective? No. That is from the mouth of Sean Toulon himself.
So your telling me if they somehow raised the line up even with the top it would be more effective? Sounds like they have just wasted a bunch of time and money on research then. I have rolled putters (the Ten) which is flush with the top and see no discernible difference.
Could this be an eye dominance issue?

skimmer alert, I haven't listened to or watched the content with sean. but is it a 2135-like issue?

So your telling me if they somehow raised the line up even with the top it would be more effective? Sounds like they have just wasted a bunch of time and money on research then. I have rolled putters (the Ten) which is flush with the top and see no discernible difference.
Could this be an eye dominance issue?
Yes, I absolutely am, and so is Sean Toulon.

The inclusion of the DW was, IMO, two-fold. 1) They needed a blade type model, and the DW checks a ton of boxes. 2) They can't use the topline, but, in the cavity it still will improve golfers alignment, and that is better than not.

Again, like the last time I brought this up in here and ruffled feathers, this is NOT saying it doesn't work int he DW, its saying it works, but not as well as the setup in the other models. Alignment placement in relation to the ball and how the eyes perceive it matters.

I've now got a lot of time on grass and mat with the 2-Ball TT SL putter in hand for review and am ready to get a little more detailed in thoughts.

1) My only real criticism first, and out of the way, its a personal grips so take that fwiw. I loathe the stock grip. Its both form and function for me, but more than that, in this case as 'Merican as I am its a little too red, white, and blue for me. Like I said, personal, and I'm sure many of you will take issue with that :cool:

2) The 2-Ball shape is one I've never spent much time with, and I'm not sure why other than I'm just not a mallet putter guy. As for the putter shape, man, its no wonder its maybe the most sold mallet shape of all time. The dual alignment of the 2-ball shapes themselves is just really good. I'm a left eye dominant guy who usually struggles with single lines so maybe this is something I should have looked at before.

3) I stand by all of my thoughts on the SL Black setup done in the Ten and BoP review when it comes to roll and feel. For me, its a little too firm as when I use an insert I want soft, but, it does precisely what they designed it to do, and does it well. Definitely more audible feedback than I remember from an Odyssey insert in a while.

4) The TT alignment. Well, I have missed more putts left with this than ever, but wait, its a compliment. Why? Because it has exposed how freaking lazy I have gotten with my setup and alignment, and how RIGHT that I have been set up. Seriously, the alignment has been pretty revelation inducing for me in the review. I have used it with a TT golf ball and without, and personally I prefer it without. But, if you do use it with a ball, the only thing you have to fault for missed putts are how you align the ball and if you read the break correct because holy visual confidence batman.

I'm more impressed than I thought I would be in a putter alignment system with just a few minutes of R&D behind it. ;):p

#4 is true. During my initial fitting, I was missing everything left. The TT and the ball positioning helped me revealed how bad I was aiming. I’ve worked to correct it and after a few rounds I’m putting better than ever. It takes a few rounds to adjust and dial in. I wasn’t a fan of the grip either and prefer something more square which I got the ss traxion 2.0 with counter core weight.

skimmer alert, I haven't listened to or watched the content with sean. but is it a 2135-like issue?
Its content I'll be using for the homepage article (y)

Its similar. The placement in relation to the view able portion of the ball to the eye from above effects the efficiency of the alignment method. To some, its no issue, to others it can very much be an issue. My favorite way of showing it is a putter with a topline and a flangeline, mainly because you see how much something like the way the putter is soled impacts if those alignment systems are working with, or against eachother.

#4 is true. During my initial fitting, I was missing everything left. The TT and the ball positioning helped me revealed how bad I was aiming. I’ve worked to correct it and after a few rounds I’m putting better than ever. It takes a few rounds to adjust and dial in. I wasn’t a fan of the grip either and prefer something more square which I got the ss traxion 2.0 with counter core weight.
Yup, its pretty shocking to experience, eh? Which is the point of TT on a putter. I might argue its even more effective here than on the ball for most amateurs.

And yeah, the grip change is an easy fix for sure.

ruffled feathers

I think I speak for everyone that it's just a conversation, and a very valid and interesting conversation at that. keep it coming!

Great stuff James! I have always preferred a line on my putter - longer was better for me. AND I have often drawn a double line all the way around my balls (a la Dave Pelz's O-balls) so I can see if the ball rolls truly.

But with the TT on the putter, I'm not sure if it would be better or worse for me to have matching lines on the ball. I can see myself spending way too much time trying to get those lines to match up lol!

After choosing a specific model, that's probably what I'm most curious about (using TT with plain ball vs TT ball)

I think I speak for everyone that it's just a conversation, and a very valid and interesting conversation at that. keep it coming!
It is a valid one. The issue becomes when its perceived as a knock on something, and it isn't. I've been here long enough and done this long enough it doesn't bother me, and I've been in you all's shoes walking the same life-changing experience, so I get it.

Its as with anything in golf, something can be effective, as TT in the DW absolutely is, but maybe not at top effectiveness as another application.

Back