Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To start off, I don't believe any college program is clean and doesn't suffer from these kinds of problems, including my beloved Vols. However, the Auburn AD's statement clearly stated that since testing began that 3% of the student athletes tested positive for drugs. Then a couple of paragraphs later he stated that less than 1% of student athletes tested positive for drugs. Is it not kind of hard to believe a guy that can't even get his own story straight? They said there are 1700 student athletes at Auburn, so did 51 (3%) of the athletes test positive, or did less than 17 (>1%) test positive? He's obviously not sure.
That's not what was written.

He said that within the first few months of testing for Synthetic Marijuana, 3% of Student Athletes tested positive for it.

Then, he went on to say that each year over 1,500 drug tests are administered on a yearly basis, and that less than 1% test positive for illegal substances.

That's not what was written.

He said that within the first few months of testing for Synthetic Marijuana, 3% of Student Athletes tested positive for it.

Then, he went on to say that each year over 1,500 drug tests are administered on a yearly basis, and that less than 1% test positive for illegal substances.

Sorry. He did say 1500 and not 1700, I was wrong there. But he did say that they consider Spice an illegal substance. So I find it even harder to believe that they tested 3% positive for Spice alone but somehow or another have tested less than 1% positive for "illegal substances" which encompasses everything else and should get many more student athletes do things other than Spice alone...

nyqape4e.jpg

"3 percent of our student-athletes tested positive" ...so within the first few months three percent tested positive for SPICE ALONE.

vemujy8u.jpg

"Less than one percent of our student-athletes test positive for illegal substances" ...so in the full year since then all of a sudden drug use has miraculously dipped. 3% tested + for spice initially but now less than 1% tests + for ALL TYPES of drugs. He can't honestly think that people would believe that.

"Less than one percent of our student-athletes test positive for illegal substances" ...so in the full year since then all of a sudden drug use has miraculously dipped. 3% tested + for spice initially but now less than 1% tests + for ALL TYPES of drugs. He can't honestly think that people would believe that.

Even as a Bama fan here, if 3% tested positive for something that wasn't illegal, and then the substance was deemed illegal, don't you think most of them would stop using it when the risk of losing their free ride was the alternative.

Even as a Bama fan here, if 3% tested positive for something that wasn't illegal, and then the substance was deemed illegal, don't you think most of them would stop using it when the risk of losing their free ride was the alternative.

Why would the University have money and time testing for it at the time if it wasn't a drug that they would have any repercussions for taking?

I might see what y'all are saying...

I was thinking that Spice had been deemed illegal at the time of the test.

So they are saying that at the time they did the initial testing where they found 3% tested positive, they weren't even considering it an "illegal substance"?

Why did they even test for it then? :confused:

Why would the University have money and time testing for it at the time if it wasn't a drug that they would have any repercussions for taking?

Just a scenario, they heard that it was going to be made illegal, and they wanted to identify the magnitude of the issue. May just have been another test performed on the same or retained samples anyway.

They scheduled Clemson's spring game for this Saturday at 4. I would love to go but why I the hell would they schedule it for Masters weekend? How annoying.

They scheduled Clemson's spring game for this Saturday at 4. I would love to go but why I the hell would they schedule it for Masters weekend? How annoying.

The Clemson spring game has fallen on Masters weekend most years that I can remember. I never understood why. Fortunately, you can watch the replay the following week.

The Clemson spring game has fallen on Masters weekend most years that I can remember. I never understood why. Fortunately, you can watch the replay the following week.

Yeah, I'll have to do that then. Oh well.

Tyran Mathieu admits to failing at least 10 drug tests at LSU. Thank God it saint a legal substance like spice, or there would be a media outrage.

Tyran Mathieu admits to failing at least 10 drug tests at LSU. Thank God it saint a legal substance like spice, or there would be a media outrage.
I wonder how many he passed??? I'd love to know his %

I wonder how many he passed??? I'd love to know his %
I just re read the article. His direct quote when asked how many he failed was; "I dont know, I quit counting after 10."

I just re read the article. His direct quote when asked how many he failed was; "I dont know, I quit counting after 10."

Nice. So we can probably triple the number or more!!!

Siri speaks for me!

Nice. So we can probably triple the number or more!!!

Siri speaks for me!

My brother and I were just talking about him a couple of days ago. Thought he'd be worth the Titans taking a chance with a 4th round pick if he's still around.

My brother and I were just talking about him a couple of days ago. Thought he'd be worth the Titans taking a chance with a 4th round pick if he's still around.

He does have big play ability. But you just never know about the off the field stuff!

Siri speaks for me!

He does have big play ability. But you just never know about the off the field stuff!

Siri speaks for me!

Yep. Thats pretty much why we were thinking 4th round and on wouldn't be too detrimental to risk taking a hit.

The NCAA is a joke in general (thanks Capt Obvious, I know), but it needs to get it together when it comes to things like this. They do not test for rec drugs, and while they test for PED's, it is hardly deterring many players. Having many friends that played D1 at big programs, I can promise you AAS and especially rec drug use are much more prevelant than you might want to believe. Regarding NCAA's testing and investigating, the NCAA does not test for recreational drugs (they do so for performance enhancing drugs, though) and allow the schools to dictate how often they test and what, if any, disciplinary actions need to be taken. In the case of LSU, it's pretty much left up to the discretion of the head coach and AD after multiple drug tests and even then the rules are really blurry and can still be left up to multiple interpretations.

This has become a sore spot with many people, even so much so that even ESPN published a story from the AP on how the SEC provides 3rd, 4th, or even 5th chances to these players that test positive. In the article, Mike Slive has reportedly mentioned that

...a conference-wide standard has been discussed at least twice during his 10-year tenure but that league members have opted against one to this point.

Until everyone gets on the same page, things like this will continue to happen and players like Mathieu will get preferential treatment because of their value to the team.

Wes Rucker Vols Coverage
18 minutes ago via TweetDeck ·
"Vols up to 4th nationally in 247Sports and 247Composite team recruiting rankings after tonight's commitment from Florida WR Lawrence Lee".

Come to LSU - We'll drug test you, but it's cool if you don't pass, ever.

He was amazing at LSU, but I wouldn't want the Falcons to draft him. Putting the honey badger in Atlanta with a million dollars is not going to end well.

He was amazing at LSU, but I wouldn't want the Falcons to draft him. Putting the honey badger in Atlanta with a million dollars is not going to end well.

I have a feeling that with where he'll be going in the draft, he won't be getting any million dollar signing bonus. He better not sign with anybody for longer than two years. That'll give him time to improve, prove his worth, and prove he's changed (or not). Then he can sign a big money contract. This first one won't be lucrative for him.

We drafted DeAngelo Hall. I'd be ok taking a risk on THB. Not a first rd pick, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

We drafted DeAngelo Hall. I'd be ok taking a risk on THB. Not a first rd pick, though.

MeAngleo was a disaster. No thanks. I saw that we are trying to move up from the 30th pick. We have a few holes but I think CB is the biggest need especially with the lack of pass rush we generate.

MeAngleo was a disaster. No thanks. I saw that we are trying to move up from the 30th pick. We have a few holes but I think CB is the biggest need especially with the lack of pass rush we generate.

He had his moments. Are there any CBs worth trading up for? I don't think Badger's problems were as attitude related as Hall's, but if we can keep his nose clean, I think he could be a stud.

He had his moments. Are there any CBs worth trading up for? I don't think Badger's problems were as attitude related as Hall's, but if we can keep his nose clean, I think he could be a stud.

How often do kids with off the field problems like his turn their lives around in the pro's especially with all that money. The Falcons tend to shy away from those types of players especially since being burned by Vick. I honestly dont know much about the CB crop this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back