Olympics 2016, 5th Major? Golf worldwide...

AndrewG

Reaction score
Handicap
With the Olympics 2012 drawing to a close, we've seen in the UK an unprecidented medal haul for such a small country, and a tidal wave, some would say excessively so, of interest in sport and its place worldwide in bringing people together, etc.

This made me think about the Olympics 2016 where golf will make an appearance, and having read a few articles about golfs worldwide image and dominance of the US tour in that image, I was wondering what you lot think about thie idea of possibly losing a major in the US, so that a new one could be created for the southern hemisphere, probably Oz or South Africa.

I'm leaning towards the idea of dropping the US PGA as a major, and creating a new one to coincide with 2016, rather than creating a 5th major. Wouldn't this draw the games top names from the US at least once a year, to carry the torch for golf to places and people that would never ordinarily get to see them in the flesh?

But if nothing else, its an interesting topic for discussion isn't it?

Cant drop the PGA for what it means to the PGA (not the tour, but the organization) in my opinion.

As for golf in the olympics, it really depends on the country. The smaller countries definitely have a much larger "stake" in the olympics than the larger ones (and by that I mean the US). Olympic golf to the US and to many US golfers wont be as big a deal as someone from a smaller place with more patriotic ties.

Without doing much research admittedly how is Golf going to work in the Olympics? Is it going to be match play, stroke play, a tourney?

Tap Tap Taparoo

The rest of the world has the WGCs. We paid for the majors, we'll keep them. I fear no big name golfers will really care about the Olympics. Women players maybe. And the French.

Kevin

Without doing much research admittedly how is Golf going to work in the Olympics? Is it going to be match play, stroke play, a tourney?

Tap Tap Taparoo

It is currently slated to be 72 holes of stroke play, but there has been talk they may revisit that decision with the IOC after this year's games are over.

Skipped off the pond using Tapatalk

The rest of the world has the WGCs. We paid for the majors, we'll keep them. I fear no big name golfers will really care about the Olympics. Women players maybe. And the French.

Kevin

I thought that, until I saw some of the interviews with the tennis stars, seems to be that Olympic Champion as a title does have a pretty good weight outside the sport itself. Ultimately, to be olympic champion actually makes you, as close as you can be, a world champion.

I wouldn't be averse to the Open Championship being widened to European courses either btw, in case it appears I'm just on a 'the US has got all the golf' bandwagon! :)

Last edited:

Kevin

I think it will mean a lot. Maybe not the first time back so much, but once it's back for a few Olympics players will start to realize just what the Olympics mean.

Sent from my HTC One X

Do we know how players will be selected for the Olympics. In some sports only a certain number of entries from a country are selected and minimum standards are required.

Will the US be able to send only a limited number of players?

The real benefit I see is the exposure to the world which may encourage golf worldwide. I think top players will have mixed feelings; there is plenty of golf already for Tiger and Phil

Do we know how players will be selected for the Olympics. In some sports only a certain number of entries from a country are selected and minimum standards are required.

Will the US be able to send only a limited number of players?

The real benefit I see is the exposure to the world which may encourage golf worldwide. I think top players will have mixed feelings; there is plenty of golf already for Tiger and Phil
I would think the amount of players would be something similar to tennis. Maybe 2 per country. Not sure how you would select players, sure something is already in place but just have not seen it yet.

I'm wondering of the blue print will be similar to the world cup, where you have a small team and individual scores.

Will be pros or top Ams?

I'm wondering of the blue print will be similar to the world cup, where you have a small team and individual scores.

Will be pros or top Ams?
The way they are pumping it up I expect it to be all pros.

From an article that I just read:

First, a reminder about the IGF's proposed selection criteria: 60 golfers get in, and the Top 15 in the men's and women's world rankings qualify automatically, regardless of country. After that, we just continue down the world rankings, adding golfers from countries that do not already have two entrants in the field, passing over those from countries already represented by two golfers. Until we reach the 60th golfer to qualify - field size is limited to 60 golfers in each the men's and women's tournaments.

Link to article: http://golf.about.com/od/tourmajorevents/a/sampleolympicfields.htm

Sent from Tapatalk

The 4 Majors carry the significance that they do for a reason. No, one of them should not be cut so that the Southern Hemisphere can have a startup major.

Also, wouldn't the timing of the Northern schedule put it in the dead of winter?

You can't just 'make' a major....majors have history. That's why they are majors. The WGCs have tried and that is their goal (to grow the game globally). They'll move where the money is. They are big tournaments with top fields. They are fun to watch and carry alot of weight. But, they are not majors.

The PGA Tour is never going to give up their one major. I can see a 5th major in Oz late in the year which would be better for the weather anyways. There is plenty of room in the schedule late in the year (October/November) to have a big tourney then.

First, a reminder about the IGF's proposed selection criteria: 60 golfers get in, and the Top 15 in the men's and women's world rankings qualify automatically, regardless of country. After that, we just continue down the world rankings, adding golfers from countries that do not already have two entrants in the field, passing over those from countries already represented by two golfers. Until we reach the 60th golfer to qualify - field size is limited to 60 golfers in each the men's and women's tournaments.

Link to article: http://golf.about.com/od/tourmajorevents/a/sampleolympicfields.htm

Sent from Tapatalk

Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Sent from Tapatalk

Would much rather see a format with a few qualifying tournaments where the participants have to earn their way into the Games.

I dont know how it would work but I would love to see a Ryder Cup type competition, obviously on a smaller scale.

The PGA Tour is never going to give up their one major. I can see a 5th major in Oz late in the year which would be better for the weather anyways. There is plenty of room in the schedule late in the year (October/November) to have a big tourney then.

The PGA Championship is ran by the PGA, not the PGA Tour. The closest the PGA Tour has to a "major" is the Players Championship.

This is interesting to say the least. Obviously it will be an elite tournament. And while majors have history, they all had to start at some point right? And I can't think of a major that could be more elite than to have it every 4 years. I don't know if it would officially qualify but it is a pretty cool thought.

Back