One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

Will likely be the same options on the site right now. They keep them current.
Checked them out last night. May very will go back to smac wraps they are not an up charge. Then can upgrade shafts if decide to later.

Wish we could get a group buy deal on these.

Will likely be the same options on the site right now. They keep them current.
Did you end up trying the Paderson one length shafts with your set up? If so, how were they? I play with them on my Edels and am curious to hear about how they feel in different set ups

Did you end up trying the Paderson one length shafts with your set up? If so, how were they? I play with them on my Edels and am curious to hear about how they feel in different set ups
Haven’t tried any OL irons or shafts, yet. (y)

Are there any one length junior sets out there? Seems like a natural progression.

I always wonder how the mindset would be if one length was the norm and variable was the oddball.

Are there any one length junior sets out there? Seems like a natural progression.

I always wonder how the mindset would be if one length was the norm and variable was the oddball.

It would be a great way to start. Get consistent swing plane and set up throughout the bag. I wonder if that starts being more prevalent!

I spent a good deal of time this past season with a set of the Speedzone One Lengths. The wedges and shorter clubs were a natural for me since I already play them at 36.5" (I'm 6'3") and I play my longer clubs at shorter lengths than standard (I use 3/8" steps). Unfortunately I found the land angle and spin was not sufficient on even the 6 iron (much less the 5 iron) to hold our summer greens. I rotated through a series of higher launching, higher spinning shafts and never could get the land angle above 42* or the spin above about 4800 RPMs on the 6 iron. That was with an iron swingspeed of 82-84 and attack angle of -2.5 or so. Some of this I suspect comes as a result of the very strong Speedzone lofts as I do not have this same issue with my variable length 5 and 6 iron.

I think I likely will go "single length" from 7 iron through my wedges and then start stepping longer for my 5 and 6 irons. I'm looking at the new Wishons as they have lighter heads weights so easier to play a little shorter (36.5" possibly) if that is what I decide.

I've been saying this would be the mindset going forward for several years. As long as the tech/performance is there to make clubs go different distances and be the same length, and it is with cobra, then that I believe is the future. I've talked to non-golfers who didn't even know clubs were different lengths. So for new players I 100% think one length is the way to go.

Within 3 years other big OEM'S get on this train I think. If they don't their market share is going to suffer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hey @JB do you have any experience with the Edel OL irons? I totally blanked on them until today.
I’ve been playing with them for a season now and I love them. I have a naturally high ball trajectory so I didn’t experience any of the height issues people mention. This is what I was getting for gapping with my set when I began. After 35ish rounds and 100+ hours at the range or so, I have picked up a solid 10 yards on 3-5 irons from what the image shows. I had a little injury mid season and stopped swinging my wedges as hard as I was - I have since acquired an SLS-01 pitching wedge and kept the 46/52/58 set up and only swing 3/4 strength with those wedges. Let me know if you want to know anything specific about them! I don’t have any detailed data from a GCQuad or anything like that, yet. I love how they feel - I went from Mizuno JPX 900 forged to Miura baby blades to these and these are almost as small as the baby blades! Feel similar too, although very different at the same time. My set up:

Edel SLS-01 3-P Irons All 37" Paderson Kinetixx 95x Shafts 3-5 MIP + 6-P SIP / All 62* (didn’t need the LIP profile due to my already high trajectory)
Edel 46, 52, 58 Degree DVR Wedges All 36" Dynamic Gold 120 S400 / All 64*
7F8B51BC-9DBA-4144-AB55-E3FB90BDAB61.jpegE99AB546-595D-4B77-BF9B-7AABB06915C6.jpeg

Last edited:
UPDATE

Played 9 holes on the grass and wanted to share some updates, as people have been asking. First up, I hit the ball pretty darn well off the tee, so played the approach shots primarily with 8, 9 and PW, but did hit 6 of 9 greens, so I was pretty darn happy.

Both par 5s I laid up to and had 9 iron into the green and hit both and even made the birdie on one of them (only birdie of the round). I missed the green short on both par 3s and bogeyed both of them. Both times I was in between clubs but thought I could get it to the front. Came up just short and on both in a green side bunker.

Outside of the 1st hole, I hit every other green in regulation on the par 4s, so was thrilled. Gapping was nearly identical as I saw in the Tech Studio and posted previously. I can say that I think after this test, I will drop the 4 hybrid for a 3 in the One Length as I am getting great distance out of the 5 iron when I step on it and see some overlapping. So that change should alleviate that and add a bit more distance to the arsenal.

I found a relative bit of comfort in not worrying about the distance I was at, choosing the weapon based on the gaps and making the same swing. Not sure I even notice a difference in a PW length and an 8 iron because it was relatively small to begin with, but definitely notice and love that I dont have 3-4 inches in length difference between my irons.

All in all, a fun time playing and I look forward to getting out again for a full round.

UPDATE

Played 9 holes on the grass and wanted to share some updates, as people have been asking. First up, I hit the ball pretty darn well off the tee, so played the approach shots primarily with 8, 9 and PW, but did hit 6 of 9 greens, so I was pretty darn happy.

Both par 5s I laid up to and had 9 iron into the green and hit both and even made the birdie on one of them (only birdie of the round). I missed the green short on both par 3s and bogeyed both of them. Both times I was in between clubs but thought I could get it to the front. Came up just short and on both in a green side bunker.

Outside of the 1st hole, I hit every other green in regulation on the par 4s, so was thrilled. Gapping was nearly identical as I saw in the Tech Studio and posted previously. I can say that I think after this test, I will drop the 4 hybrid for a 3 in the One Length as I am getting great distance out of the 5 iron when I step on it and see some overlapping. So that change should alleviate that and add a bit more distance to the arsenal.

I found a relative bit of comfort in not worrying about the distance I was at, choosing the weapon based on the gaps and making the same swing. Not sure I even notice a difference in a PW length and an 8 iron because it was relatively small to begin with, but definitely notice and love that I dont have 3-4 inches in length difference between my irons.

All in all, a fun time playing and I look forward to getting out again for a full round.
What did you use for your second shots on the par 5s?

UPDATE

Sounds like they need to be put on the must try list when available

What did you use for your second shots on the par 5s?

5 iron on one of them and 7 on the other to keep it short of some lining fairway bunkers.

UPDATE

Great stuff JB. It's good to hear that your Tech Studio experience is carrying over to the course. I really think the 8 iron length is the way to go. Like you mentioned it's not too big of a transition when you're looking down at the wedge.

@JB you’re pushing me closer and closer to the edge...

@JB have you been happy with the OL hybrid? I still have 3 non OL wedges and a hybrid in the bag. But after your report on OL wedges I may ditch my md3's for at least a 56 OL. But I am unsure on the hybrid.

@JB have you been happy with the OL hybrid? I still have 3 non OL wedges and a hybrid in the bag. But after your report on OL wedges I may ditch my md3's for at least a 56 OL. But I am unsure on the hybrid.

Numerous updates on the hybrid in here including the one from this morning. Don't have too much more to offer other than those, sorry.

@JB just listened to an interview that Bryson did on the Fred Couples show and he mentioned something I found somewhat interesting. He said he moves the position of the ball in his stance depending which iron he is hitting? I thought that would be one of the variables eliminated by playing OL? Same swing every club is one one the selling featured, no? Do you position the ball different for say a 5 iron vs PW? I’m asking because I have no idea and if all clubs are the same length and lie I would think ball position would be fairly similar for full swings

@JB just listened to an interview that Bryson did on the Fred Couples show and he mentioned something I found somewhat interesting. He said he moves the position of the ball in his stance depending which iron he is hitting? I thought that would be one of the variables eliminated by playing OL? Same swing every club is one one the selling featured, no? Do you position the ball different for say a 5 iron vs PW? I’m asking because I have no idea and if all clubs are the same length and lie I would think ball position would be fairly similar for full swings

For me it does not, but I can alter it based on ball flight. I have heard Bryson talking about this in the past, because he is looking for different windows for different shots. I am not really doing that, so less change is necessary. Mentally we are swinging each one differently of course being power vs finesse.

I played 9 Sim Holes with the Cobra Forged Tec OL yesterday in the finals of my iron testing...

For the first time , I saw difficulty getting the distance control right with the GW (misses long), worth noting but small sample size.

I just bought some OL irons this morning! Welcome to the Revolution!

I just bought some OL irons this morning! Welcome to the Revolution!
Which ones did you get & why? From Z- Forged last year to the OL Revolution...

Which ones did you get & why? From Z- Forged last year to the OL Revolution...
KING Forged TEC ONE Length
4-PW
TEC ONE KBS $ Taper Lite shafts

I don't know if this is going to be my gamer set of course, but I'm a good short iron player and I'm very intrigued by the concept. And while bitcoin is at 40k, then why not kid? Hahaha

Back