OSU vacates all of it's 2010 wins.

As an Ohio State alum and a huge football fan, none of this has been easy to watch. I was upset when the 'Buckeye Five' got to play in the damn Sugar Bowl. However I never knew the true depth of the situation. I can also say that all OSU fans were aware of Tressel's past when he got hired. There were some shady goings on at Youngstown State. Most, myself included, forgot about such things once they started winning and routinely rolling Michigan. However rules were broken. Some severely. I expect the NCAA to come down hard on the program. This initial self imposed sanction is just the beginning. Wouldn't be surprised if this ends with Gene Smith exiting as well.

All that being said, I'll be a Buckeye fan until the day I die. The Bucks will be down for a little while, but they'll be back!

You get a + rep for this!

It was posted in the college football thread as well.

Look at it this way. Had they played in the SEC, it would have been their record anyway....hehe

That's the truth right there!

This is so silly and means nothing really. "vacating wins" like we didn't see the games happen, and the wins just don't go to the other team, its just silly. You want to show me that "your sorry" then give back the MILLIONS of dollars you made, by playing in a Sugar Bowl with ineligible players. Whats that..you won't, oh ok, then make this meaningless jesture.

I hate the whole thought of "vacating wins" myself. Then all you hear is "well we still beat XYZ" where as if there were ineligible players that didn't play, "well we would've beat them with so and so playing" regardless.

In the end, you cheated, you got caught, you tried to cover it up, you lose again but vacating wins does nothing for nobody. Who does that help?

That was awesome, just straight up honesty. The hardest part is admitting your team screwed up and I applaud you for that

Couldn't agree with this more. I'm glad you understand this is the way life works sometimes

Tap tap taparoo

Today's dispatch says they don't expect anymore sanctions.

I'm at a loss.

They're placing all l the blame on Tressel and saying the institution didn't know.

Well see I guess.

Today's dispatch says they don't expect anymore sanctions.

I'm at a loss.

They're placing all l the blame on Tressel and saying the institution didn't know.

Well see I guess.

You are so right, if anything the NCAA is consistently inconsistent.

They are handling this much better than USC and as long as people don't try to throw each other under the bus and comply with the NCAA I don't see them missing any postseason.

That being said, they deserve everything they get. We all want to win, myself included, but at what price?

O-H-I-O

You Ohio st fans are going to be Husker fans here pretty soon!!! hehe

I sure hope they don't.. Cant stand Nebraska. Leaving the big 12 like that.. Not cool

Tap tap taparoo

So I watched Pryor in "Gruden's Camp" yesterday on ESPN, it took all I had not to throw up about 5 times in the 3 min I could stand to watch. This poor kid is so stupid it's unbelievable.

It was posted in the college football thread as well.

Look at it this way. Had they played in the SEC, it would have been their record anyway....hehe

plus 1. It was just the big ten, not like it was real football anyway. How many teams are in the big ten, anyway? Buddha, they need to raise their academic standards!

Hate to see this crap happen to any school. It ruins it for those that DID play by the rules and had no idea what was going on.

If you are a top 50 school in one of the major conferences than you DID NOT play by all the rules.

I was really talking about the kids that are on the teams that do all the right things and then get it all taken away, but you're point is valid and well-stated. I wonder if they even look for infractions until they win a championship. Seems odd they "pick on" the powerhouse.
It reminds me of the year Jeff Gordon won 13 races in a season. NASCAR impounded about every car in the garage because they just knew he had to be cheating.

Being a Bama fan, this brings back some painful memories.

I don't know much about college football, so please forgive me with this question, but doesn't what OSU did is what many other D1 schools do?

Yes, but THEY got caught!

I grew up three blocks from OSU's campus. My dad was a prof there and I have two degrees from there. This is killing me. I didn't like Pryor from the day he announced he wasn't going to announce. If anyone remembers he waited until well after National Signing Day to announce his decision to come to OSU because, IMHO, he wanted the spotlight to himself. He's a selfish person plain and simple and he didn't take a single moment to think about his team. Tressel's results speak for themselves, although his play calling has been maddening over the years. More than anything I'm disappointed in the hypocrisy with him. I'm not religious by any stretch of the imagination but when you've been out there like him talking about leading a "Christian" life and then you do this. Well, it's somewhat stunning.

Vacating the 2010 season is, to me, meaningless. Everyone knows that the Buckeyes went out there and won the games they won (and lost the game they lost). Sure, the record books are wiped clean. But in the end - who cares? I do disagree with the Columbus Dispatch; I, personally, think the Buckeyes are going to get hit hard by the NCAA. As someone mentioned earlier, scholarship reductions and a multi-year ban on post season play can't be far down the road. Will the Buckeyes get through it? Of course. But it ain't gonna be easy - for the team, the school or the fans.

BTW - very interesting article on the Big Ten Network and the expansion: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ioner-jim-delany-john-wildhack-espn-officials

I dunno, Auburn got a pass from the NCAA and everyone knows they are the southern version of the Soprano family. TOSU has at least as much political pull as Auburn.

There was no proven wrongdoing at Auburn, was there? With OSU it's clear that the coach, some players and the compliance department all messed up. Plus - Tressel lied. The coverup is always always always worse than the crime itself.

Back