Ouch! Golf HURTS.

El Bandito

Reaction score
Handicap
13 ish
As some of the UK Hackers can testify, I have a swing entirely my own. In the last 3 years, I have progressed from 'danger to myself and others' to my best handicap of 18. I took a 'clinic' in Egypt of all places which got me going in the right direction. Thereafter, I did a fair amount of reading, listening and self-diagnosing.
I have reached a point where I have layered so many tips and techniques on top of each other, that frankly, I have not the faintest idea what I'm doing any more.
I can still hit some good shots and from time to time can string together some decent holes. However, those strings were getting fewer and further between and frustration was beginning to mount.

So, on Saturday, being a little cash laden (UK Spring Cuppers know why!) I bit the bullet and handed a roll of cash to my club pro and asked him to fix me.

This morning we met for my first 30 minute lesson. Me being me, I had spent a lot of Sunday internally analysing where my problems were stemming from. As a consequence, when asked to hit a few nine irons, I hit the four best consecutive shots that I have hit in a long while.

Now, Terry (my pro) and I have history. Last year, I won a medal competition and the prize was to play with him in a pro am. So, he knows roughly what he is taking on. We get on well, and both prefer direct blunt communication.

So after my four cracking irons, I turned to him and asked for his thoughts.

He looked me in the eye and said..."it's a miracle that you ever hit a decent shot." That's direct for you!

1. I sway my head off the ball.
2. My front hip (right, I'm a leftie) does impersonations of a prosthetic, ie does not move at at all.
3. I take the club away on the inside.
4. The swing is so flat, Terry believes I might have a future in baseball.
5. The inside back swing pulls me back on my heels, moving my head even more.

Looking for a positive, Terry pointed out that if I could hit a good nine iron while executing a diving header, then he felt prospects were good for improvement if I could learn to stand still.

and so it began....

Hitting shots with Terry holding an iron against my head, learning to start the backswing with my knees, holding different positions.

i hurt in places where I had no idea there were even muscles! A tiny 30 minute lesson and I feel worse than after 36 holes walking!

Its going to be a long difficult journey, requiring some focused practicing, some real persistence...but aches and pains notwithstanding...it's going to be a lot of fun....

"you realise that you are going to hate me during this process?" Said Terry.

"I never liked you much anyway" I responded

Should be a blast!

Good stuff. Looking forward to you bringing your game over to Pebble in a couple months.

Everyone's got room for improvement buddy - it tends to boil down to whether you are prepared to accept the fact that "changes are a comin" and you can roll with them, or if your a bit like me and can't stand change ;)

Good on you for taking the first path and I look forward to seeing the changes in your swing soon :thumb:

Sounds like my type of instructor! Super honest and straight to the point. Sounds like you can learn a lot from him.

Just once at Pebble. More at Spyglass and the others in the area.

I think I will be there later this summer:)
Not at pebble links but probably the par 3 course and one of the others.

LOL - your instructor sounds like my old instructor. We roasted each other all the time. Oh how I know about the pains of golf! GL to you!

Good stuff. Looking forward to you bringing your game over to Pebble in a couple months.

not as much as I'm looking forward to coming!

Everyone's got room for improvement buddy - it tends to boil down to whether you are prepared to accept the fact that "changes are a comin" and you can roll with them, or if your a bit like me and can't stand change ;)

Good on you for taking the first path and I look forward to seeing the changes in your swing soon :thumb:

Love the change so far. The challenge is going to be resisting the urge to revert to old movements when the new ones don't quite work yet. Everything feels incredibly unnatural for the moment.

Sounds like my type of instructor! Super honest and straight to the point. Sounds like you can learn a lot from him.

yep! It's kind of banter, we enjoy it.

LOL - your instructor sounds like my old instructor. We roasted each other all the time. Oh how I know about the pains of golf! GL to you!

he is a nice guy. I knew that I would have to make some changes, but I had not prepared for the fact that they were going to physically hurt!

I'm sure that a n hour on the range trying to adopt the changes today is going to feel weird!

Nice thread, you sound like a guy I wouldn't mind playing a few rounds with. Keep up the good work and keep it fun out there!

Stu, if it sorts out the 'water wedge' problem as well, then it can only be a huge benefit to your game :D

Good luck with it, and having played a round with you I look forward to seeing how much of a difference these changes will make when we next get to have a round together - maybe you could give me some tips

Stu, if it sorts out the 'water wedge' problem as well, then it can only be a huge benefit to your game :D

Good luck with it, and having played a round with you I look forward to seeing how much of a difference these changes will make when we next get to have a round together - maybe you could give me some tips

I'm confident I can keep the water wedge in the bag - it takes a great deal of skill to consistently hit water - even if you need to use another hole to do it.....

I understand where you are coming from EB, good luck with the new swing.

Dayummmmm, You sound like my twin brother :bulgy-eyes:! Good luck with your lessons and the pain :D

Dayummmmm, You sound like my twin brother :bulgy-eyes:! Good luck with your lessons and the pain :D

time i got me a woodshed then....:angel:

No gain without pain right?

Got out on the range for an hour today, trying to put into practice what I had been taught. - or at the very least, remember what I had been taught:act-up:.
Firstly, I think that I may need a hip replacement! Ouch.
Secondly, trying to keep my hands to the outside, feels really weird and unnatural.
Thirdly, Trying to hold position at the top of my backswing so that I could check angles feels like what I imagine yoga must feel like.

However, I did hit some crisp irons. I hit a lot of crap irons too, but there were definitely signs to be encouraged by...

Keep going bud, it feels wrong but when you start hitting the ball in the middle of the face and get nice consistent ball flight the pain turns into wanting to practice more. Just remember that practice is part of the process of improvement and go at it like you are being paid by the hour. I found slowing the swing down until the motion was right, rehearsing what I wanted to improve several times, then hitting helped me get the motions right.

Took my 'work in progress swing' out onto the course this morning. Nothing serious, just a friendly Twoball, for the high risk stakes of a whole pound:act-up:.

The course was set up tough, for a competition. Tees right back, flags tucked away. The weather was wild, sunny then rainy and a very blustery wind.

First thing, as I stood on the first tee, it occurred to me that my lesson and practice has been all about irons and wedges. I looked at my driver in front of me and thought "what the ??? Do I do with this thing?"

Eventually, I decided that I would try to apply the principles that I am trying to adopt for the irons to the woods. Perhaps predictably, I was streaky off the tee. Short game was strong. So I was managing to score.

Now, the irons: first and second hole, I was scuffing. The pro had warned me that because it all feels uncomfortable to me at the top, I tend to rush the downswing, leading to a loss of tempo and scuffs. On three, I hit a decent wedge. 4 is a par 3, into a howling wind. 5 iron was the club. I was determined to swing easy, and off it sailed. In a straight line. In the air. It actually resembled a golf shot!

Typically, it ended in a bunker! But my little eyes were lit up. A proper 5 iron, the likes of which I had not seen for a long time. Clearly lifted the spirits, as I played a comfortable up and down for par.

I am not saying that I have it licked. I most certainly do not. But as the round wore on, more and more irons were flying high and handsome. Really encouraging.:act-up:

but it still hurts!:beat-up:

oh, and I won the pound!

Nice one El B, keep working at it and you will be scaring the boys at the next event :D

sounds like a good instructor to me! And yeah, there's a lot of different muscles used in golf swings. My back will be super stiff sometimes the next morning after a long practice session or something.

Back