Out of the tunnel.

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
Tee shots that require the ball to travel a fair distance through a tunnel or chute of large trees are tough. You catch a branch and you're screwed as bad as a water hazard because you're so far back for your second. When the rough slopes toward the trees it's worse. Add uphill and it's the roughest of the tough.

It feels good when you rifle one out there between the trees, but this type of shot makes me a little nervous. No room at all for the push or pull, fade or draw. I'd rather hit it or bend it over or around water, or try to clear bunkers. I'd rather drive it on a hole that's open at the tees and narrows to a tree flanked fairway, than through trees to an open area. I think I have trouble focusing on a target when pinched in by trees.

But that's just me.

Kevin

I think a lot of it has to do with the tunnel syndrome that you get in that situation. I have found that I am more likely to have a mis hit when I have a shot like that where as if I have a shot at a green surrounded by trees I am more accurate. Dont know why but now that I have my driver figured out and going straight I might have more luck with that type of shot now. You shouldnt have to worry about that shot to much at the lakes just a lot of water!!

I agree Esox. My home course has 5-6 holes like that and it makes me want to use a hybrid because of it.

I agree Esox. My home course has 5-6 holes like that and it makes me want to use a hybrid because of it.

Which is exactly what I do. I hit my driver way too high and tend to go right so I tee up accordingly. In a tunnel I can't do that so the Hybrid 2I comes out.

The 17th hole on my home course is a par 3, 182 yard hole that goes through the trees and over a ravine. They are doing work on the tee right now, so they moved it back another 20 yards. I hate that hole.

Exactly, there are a few holes like this at a course I play at that take the power fade out of the equation. They both also have trouble on the right but to be fair there are a few holes there that are hard for people with hooks. I just use the 3 wood on these holes.

I used to do that, but that just resulted in drawing even more attention to the tunnel and then I'd end up "steering" everything. Now, I just look at the distance and club accordingly and I ignore the tunnel altogether.

It works better that way. :thumb:

-JP

I used to do that, but that just resulted in drawing even more attention to the tunnel and then I'd end up "steering" everything. Now, I just look at the distance and club accordingly and I ignore the tunnel altogether.

It works better that way. :thumb:

-JP

For you! I prefer to use the hybrid and give myself the additional accuracy. What works for you may not for some.

one iron Hybrid

one iron Hybrid

Tight holes out of the tunnel and it's a stinker or stinger with my 16 degree hybrid...... Low bullet with a five to ten yard draw 235 out..... Love my Baffler and I will play it against any body's hybrid... Calloway will let you guys know the real deal once our Southeastern group hits Blairsville. You guys have been bragging about the Nike stuff so let's let the stick do the talking.. Online talking is good but the real deal is on the course :D I can hardly wait!!! A little 71 today kind of jacked my confidence up a bit :bananadance:

Tight holes out of the tunnel and it's a stinker or stinger with my 16 degree hybrid...... Low bullet with a five to ten yard draw 235 out..... Love my Baffler and I will play it against any body's hybrid... Calloway will let you guys know the real deal once our Southeastern group hits Blairsville. You guys have been bragging about the Nike stuff so let's let the stick do the talking.. Online talking is good but the real deal is on the course :D I can hardly wait!!! A little 71 today kind of jacked my confidence up a bit :bananadance:

Good lord man do you work for Cobra? I understand talking about how much one loves a brand of clubs in a thread about those clubs, but every thread, really?

For you! I prefer to use the hybrid and give myself the additional accuracy. What works for you may not for some.

Yes, for me, but I tend to look at shots like this the same way as I look at a 'tweener. With a 'tweener, I prefer to use the more lofted club and swing harder than to go down a club and then try to feather it.

The tunnel is similar in the sense that if I take out a "special" club to deal with it, it's like feathering a shot on a 'tweener. Instead, if I take out the driver (or whatever club is called for) and I just swing it like normal and I find that I have less trouble that way.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think it's easier to just "do" something than it is to "try to do" something (or try not to).

-JP

Steering this type of shot is a problem because of the lack of a good target. Especially uphill. The tendency is to try and hit it through the tunnel, instead of to a spot or target. Harder to take dead aim in this situation.

Kevin

Good lord man do you work for Cobra? I understand talking about how much one loves a brand of clubs in a thread about those clubs, but every thread, really?

No I suppose when you are striking the ball good you can hit any brand well and the results are the same.... I really don't mean to be so "Cobra" is the stick however it works for me. Today I felt like I could have hit a hickory stick and the results would have been good.

I will put pressure on myself and let the boys in North Georgia let you know how the 16 degree hybrid works off the tight par fours..... Maybe then and only then will you believe me?

No I suppose when you are striking the ball good you can hit any brand well and the results are the same.... I really don't mean to be so "Cobra" is the stick however it works for me. Today I felt like I could have hit a hickory stick and the results would have been good.

I will put pressure on myself and let the boys in North Georgia let you know how the 16 degree hybrid works off the tight par fours..... Maybe then and only will you believe me?

You dont need to sell me on them. I played them for 3 years. I found better for my game and I saw how they fared for our testers in teh hybrid shoot out as well. My bag is far from brand loyal ever. On the tunnel par 4's I will almost always play my 3 hybrid. Right now that is a Cleveland DST.

A couple of courses around here have "tunnel" type holes. For the most part they are shorter holes, even doglegs that anything 190-200 yds off the tee is perfect.

You dont need to sell me on them. I played them for 3 years. I found better for my game and I saw how they fared for our testers in teh hybrid shoot out as well. My bag is far from brand loyal ever. On the tunnel par 4's I will almost always play my 3 hybrid. Right now that is a Cleveland DST.

Cleveland Hybrids or good, Cobra Hybrids or good, Nike Hybrids or good but it all depends on the guy swinging the stick and how he handles pressure out of tight tunnel tee shots. I have and will take my Cobra baffler to the bank on those type shots :D Proof is in the pudding huh?

ok I knowJB will respond to my smack talking however I have to take Momma out to eat... You guys keep on and I will have to head to Florida In April........

It would depend on how long the tunnel is, that and how the rest of the hole plays out. That will drive what club I would use and then i play that shot.

Like some others here, I'm taking my 3 hybrid out and making sure of a nice, straight shot 215 in the middle of the fairway.

Hybrids just work better for me

Hybrids just work better for me

I sounded pretty harsh talking about my hybrids and how fricking good I am out of the tunnel. I apologize for being jerky about that. The truth of the real pudding is the majority of the time my hybrid is safer and more forgiving that the driver or any three wood I have hit. I am not arrow straight as it sounded and there are tunnel shots that do cook my goose. Especially the ones that have any bend from left to right that require a fade. I'm going to blame my inappropriate statement on one too many after round beers. I just need to keep my mouth shut and my ears open more often. I'm sorry :foot-in-mouth:

I sounded pretty harsh talking about my hybrids and how fricking good I am out of the tunnel. I apologize for being jerky about that. The truth of the real pudding is the majority of the time my hybrid is safer and more forgiving that the driver or any three wood I have hit. I am not arrow straight as it sounded and there are tunnel shots that do cook my goose. Especially the ones that have any bend from left to right that require a fade. I'm going to blame my inappropriate statement on one too many after round beers. I just need to keep my mouth shut and my ears open more often. I'm sorry :foot-in-mouth:

Not harsh at all just sounds like your confident! And that I think is a good thing. I myself would rather feel confident about the clubs in my bag instead of being nervous off of every tee......Some people just can't take the confidence i guess...:confused2:

Thanks

Thanks

Confidence is good and I play better golf when I believe in myself. I just sounded more cocky than confident and that offends more than what I would like...

One of my favorite all time courses is Glenwood Country Club. ( http://www.glenwoodcountryclub.com/page/226-8020.htm ) We always said it was like playing in the Holland Tunnel. It is bordered on almost every hole by mature hardwood and pine trees that sit right up against the fairway. Many are doglegs so you have to be able to work the ball to take full advantage of the course.

It was short but deadly. I found that using driver, picturing my target, and forgetting about the trees gave me the best chance to keep it in the fairway. Once I started seeing all those tall trees and the narrow landing areas, my goose was cooked.

i might be one of the only ones that actually love this type of tee situation...
ill pull driver in a heart beat cuz i love the kaboom sound that gets amplified... gets my blood pumping

i love the kaboom sound that gets amplified... gets my blood pumping

Living in the desert, I had forgotten the sound echoing off the trees when a tee shot was struck. Thanks for reminding me. Took me back to some good remembered times.

Back