is there something I can use on my clubs to completely take off any paint fill?

Paint stripper. Citrustrip was highly recommended by some.

Paint stripper. Citrustrip was highly recommended by some.

how would i use it tho. just let a club sit in it or whipe with it or..?

It has a thicker consistency so I brush a little on and wait 10 minutes. Most of the paint wipes right off. I pick at the residual stuff with a toothpick.

is there something I can use on my clubs to completely take off any paint fill?

Acetone is usually what they say to soak a club in for a couple of hours.

Wouldnt that damage the club tho?

This is only what I've heard. I've never tried it. I've used nail polish remover, and once the paintfill gets kind of soft, I used a thumbtack to scratch it out. I got most of it out, but not completely. Still turned out okay though.

Soaking it in acetone won't hurt the club as long as there are no badges/plastic on the club. Cover your ferrules and it should be fine. I think that any acetone or paint stripper will eat away at anything on the cavity like the badge glue or the badge itself. However, I highly recommend the paint stripper route.

Wouldnt that damage the club tho?

You don't even need to soak it. I stripped all the paint off my irons just using acetone and a little hobby brush with the bristles cut down a little. Just dipped the brush and rubbed the paint right off.

Acetone and an old toothbrush takes about 5 minutes, just don't get any on the plastic parts of the club.

To remove paint fill and clean up:
- There are few options, such as 100% acetone, nail polish remover, Strip-Tar, Paint remover, and Citristrip. I personally use Citristrip, because I have 2 boys at home, and this is the least toxic way to remove. It take bit longer, but I just apply it and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Use with q-tip, paper towel, etc to remove the old paint. May have to rinse and repeat 2 or 3 times as some paints are very stubborn.

- Paint - Any type of Enamel paint will do, which can be easily bought from hobby stores such as Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Or you can visit your local specially toy stores and they should have it. I personally started with Testors, however, I have switched over to sharpie and Painters markers. Painters is a non-toxic, which I let my 7 year old do the paintfill, don't have to worry about spills and get to have fun. Also, I have 18 pack of sharpies of various colors give me color options. But, all above options will work. If you need translucent colors, then go with testors paints.

Any excess around the fill area, just take little bit of acetone and paper towel, gently wipe it off.

Take the old club and practice couple of times...or you can just dive in and have fun.

That's about it. Worst thing that could happen is you just start the process over and will not destroy your club!
This is a post I made about how to remove the paint from your clubs, as last few post were asking about how to remove the paint. Few options. And most importantly, enjoy the process and your own custom colors.

I still haven't managed to grab some paints yet, but I do have another question

How resistant is the enamel paint to scrubbing? I clean my clubs after every round and use a 'club scrubber' which is like a mini waterbottle with a brush on the end (it used to have an attachment to clip it to my bag but I lost it) and I was wondering how the paint stands up to repeated scrubbing with warm soapy water?

Could possibly be a rant-

I went to Michaels to pick up some paint on Sunday. There were three bottles of Testors in the entire store. The shelves were so bare. Two of the bottles were clear coat and the other was some yellow color that may have been there a while. I was so disappointed.

I guess Michaels isn't ready for all of the THP'ers out there.

I went to Michaels to pick up some paint on Sunday. There were three bottles of Testors in the entire store. The shelves were so bare. Two of the bottles were clear coat and the other was some yellow color that may have been there a while. I was so disappointed.

That stinks. I went to my local Michael's for Sharpie paint pens and came away pleased. They worked fine. Didn't check for Testors though. Sorry about that.

That stinks. I went to my local Michael's for Sharpie paint pens and came away pleased. They worked fine. Didn't check for Testors though. Sorry about that.

I stopped by the sharpie section. They had a lot of the larger tipped pens. My new friend siz4three5 told me about a green color of Testors he picked up at Michaels. I looked for a similar color in the sharpie pen, but they didn't have what I was looking for. I can definitely see the pen being easier than the paint.

I still haven't managed to grab some paints yet, but I do have another question

How resistant is the enamel paint to scrubbing? I clean my clubs after every round and use a 'club scrubber' which is like a mini waterbottle with a brush on the end (it used to have an attachment to clip it to my bag but I lost it) and I was wondering how the paint stands up to repeated scrubbing with warm soapy water?

What kind of brush is it? I only use a soft one because I'm a pansy and nervous of scratching my irons. But with a soft brush I've never had an issue. Paint looks as good as the day I put it on. Did it on my old irons too and after 5 years of solid use and cleaning they look great.

I stopped by the sharpie section. They had a lot of the larger tipped pens. My new friend siz4three5 told me about a green color of Testors he picked up at Michaels. I looked for a similar color in the sharpie pen, but they didn't have what I was looking for. I can definitely see the pen being easier than the paint.

It is much easier IMO, and Jimmy (Six4Three5) definitely knows what he's talking about when it comes to anything in golf revolving around style :)

What kind of brush is it? I only use a soft one because I'm a pansy and nervous of scratching my irons. But with a soft brush I've never had an issue. Paint looks as good as the day I put it on. Did it on my old irons too and after 5 years of solid use and cleaning they look great.

It is stiff enough to clear out any stubborn dirt, but nowhere near stiff enough to mark the clubs so fingers crossed it should be okay then

At the end of the day, I can only try it and see what happens and if I have to redo anything then I will know to try something else to clean them

It is much easier IMO, and Jimmy (Six4Three5) definitely knows what he's talking about when it comes to anything in golf revolving around style :)

And anything green.

Just did the SCORs in prep for tomorrow's round!

Some great work in here...you've got me jones'n to Albatross my Scor's, will happen this week.

Great work!

Nice work on the Scor 's

detyzydy.jpg

Couldnt leave the Mizuno's out!

PM me your shipping address bud! I'll get the two green bottles of testors I have in the mail as soon as I get the address! I'm done with paint fill for now, and even if I need too down the line I can grab some more from my local Michael's they carry quite a bit.

And anything green.

Thanks Casey! I try my best to be "different" ! and yes I certainly have a thing for green!

As far as the pens vs the paint go, I've tried both, I prefer the paint over the pens. Much easier the it comes out much, much cleaner in my opinion.

Like I said tho Cody PM your shipping info and I'll send out the two bottles I have, they wont get any use from me anymore I have my set up for the year!

I'm so torn about my scotty.. Now i want to put it back to original, but i cant afford that, and all of the paint fills i do are too thin so they dont stick after being played a couple holes.. Gahhhhh..

Back