Paying College Football Players

Doesn't this make the point for NOT paying players? I mean, look at how valuable the education is... That they wont make it anywhere in life without it. You are admitting the athletes are being gifted a HUGE advantage in life- so why do they need money on top of that?

No one has addressed why they don't take a loan to cover lifestyle expenses while in school yet either.

CB- I like that idea and have never heard it before. I like things above the table and I like that the agent (and not the school) takes the financial responsibility. Would it lead to agents taking advantage of kids? I don't know (asking for a higher than industry standard commission, etc)

Consider this a forged post

Some...I'll say it again...some kids excel at sports to get into college with the hopes of playing pro ball. Others play for the love of the game and know they will never play pro ball. Both have the opportunity to get a degree in their chosen major. We all agree and I agree it's a choice. But not everyone is wired to think this way. Less fortunate kids aren't wired to appreciate that their education is being provided to them because of what they do. They see the sports stars with hot cars, clothes, jewels, etc. Is that right, no. But it is a harsh reality. The NFL has a rookie symposium to educate these same kids on how to handle themselves in the real world.

I played golf in college and was afforded certain financial aid to offset the cost of my education. I also worked so I could have my own money( allowed at D3 level, work) my parents raised me that way. Others aren't so lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made some bad choices in college, that's for sure.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Man so did I

I'd love to see a break down of the economies of universities with and without athletic programs.
I am guessing that without the money the football and basketball teams bring in in total that the cost to tuition would be higher, the number of scholarships available to non-athletes would be lower, and the tax-payer burden would be higher.

I think that they are working and that their jobs are valuable. I'm not saying they should be paid a lot but think they should be paid. Not all of them will be rewarded with degrees or million dollar contracts but they put their well-being on the line and may reduce their life expectancies in the process.

I'd love to see a break down of the economies of universities with and without athletic programs.
I am guessing that without the money the football and basketball teams bring in in total that the cost to tuition would be higher, the number of scholarships available to non-athletes would be lower, and the tax-payer burden would be higher.

I think that they are working and that their jobs are valuable. I'm not saying they should be paid a lot but think they should be paid. Not all of them will be rewarded with degrees or million dollar contracts but they put their well-being on the line and may reduce their life expectancies in the process.

By choice.
Its not a right. It is their choice to do so.

By choice.

How about we broaden their choices then and allow the NFL to draft players from high school? :smile:

How about we broaden their choices then and allow the NFL to draft players from high school? :smile:

They don't have to be college players to get drafted.

Some...I'll say it again...some kids excel at sports to get into college with the hopes of playing pro ball. Others play for the love of the game and know they will never play pro ball. Both have the opportunity to get a degree in their chosen major. We all agree and I agree it's a choice. But not everyone is wired to think this way. Less fortunate kids aren't wired to appreciate that their education is being provided to them because of what they do. They see the sports stars with hot cars, clothes, jewels, etc. Is that right, no. But it is a harsh reality. The NFL has a rookie symposium to educate these same kids on how to handle themselves in the real world.

I played golf in college and was afforded certain financial aid to offset the cost of my education. I also worked so I could have my own money( allowed at D3 level, work) my parents raised me that way. Others aren't so lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So because someone has dreams and likes nice things they cant afford, they should be given more than their choices dictate?
Everybody has dreams. Some get to live them out, and others dont, that is life. Its not easy.

Don't they have to be a certain age? (I have no idea)

3 years out of high school. But that does not mean they have to be college athletes. They can go straight to play in other leagues and then get drafted if they choose. Again, its about "their" choices.

Maybe it should be more like the ROTC scholarship program in that the athletes must perform academically at a reasonable level to retain their scholarship and if they don't they must reimburse the school the total received when they turn pro.

3 years out of high school. But that does not mean they have to be college athletes. They can go straight to play in other leagues and then get drafted if they choose. Again, its about "their" choices.

OK, so why not right out of HS? Or age 18? 3 years out of HS is a limitation on one's choices imposed by society.

I'm not arguing against what you're saying for the most part but I don't quite see it as simple as it is coming across.

These players due receive a lot and waste a lot of opportunities. They also give a lot, some would say more than many others in the universities themselves or alums.

Maybe it should be more like the ROTC scholarship program in that the athletes must perform academically at a reasonable level to retain their scholarship and if they don't they must reimburse the school the total received when they turn pro.

They're already expected to perform academically at a certain level aren't they?
Of course the schools are more prepared to bend the rules for an athlete than for a soldier.

OK, so why not right out of HS? Or age 18? 3 years out of HS is a limitation on one's choices imposed by society.

I'm not arguing against what you're saying for the most part but I don't quite see it as simple as it is coming across.

These players due receive a lot and waste a lot of opportunities. They also give a lot, some would say more than many others in the universities themselves or alums.

Because most feel as though their bodies are not mature enough to handle the longer schedule.
This is their choice. Nobody is saying that one must do this, but they choose this path. If they want to go in another direction and get paid, other leagues exist right out of high school.

RE: The student athletes can get injured and risk overall long term health for the universities.

By choice.

JB- a question for you.

Why do you play golf? I know you have a bad back and that golfing makes it worse. I mean- you could be significantly impacting your log term health, right?

/rhetorical questions

I ran out of witty tapatalk signatures...

RE: The student athletes can get injured and risk overall long term health for the universities.

JB- a question for you.

Why do you play golf? I know you have a bad back and that golfing makes it worse. I mean- you could be significantly impacting your log term health, right?

/rhetorical questions

Because the end is worth the means for me.
However the minute a doctor tells me I could do permanent or further damage, is the day I hang it up.
I have a wonderful wife that I want to grow old with and support. There is no way a game will get in the way of that.

Because the end is worth the means for me.
However the minute a doctor tells me I could do permanent or further damage, is the day I hang it up.
I have a wonderful wife that I want to grow old with and support. There is no way a game will get in the way of that.

So you have to make choices to do what you enjoy doing- and may have to give up something you love for something that is more important if the situation dictates. Hummm...

That is what its all about right there ,

So you have to make choices to do what you enjoy doing- and may have to give up something you love for something that is more important if the situation dictates. Hummm...

When I gave up my athletics it was my choice because I wanted to support myself. Others have the same choices. With every decision in life there are compromises and with life experiences one can have a greater understanding of what those are.

College athletes shouldn't get paid for playing sports! A lot of times they get paid with scholarships. This is just dumb really, athletics are just a bonus of being a college student. I love and support athletics, but you are paying to be a student and the fact that you may be really good at a sport doesn't mean you should get paid for having fun on the side of your education.

you know what sucks though. They are not allowed to have jobs. Where does that make sense? How the hell are they supposed to pay for other things. I dont think whats going on is right, but why the hell cant these people work for some money?
I don't follow this end of the game much so please indulge me. Are you saying the scholarship player is banned from working at all or just during the season? If it is at all then that is a really bad decision for all, especially a guy who actually wants the education and doesn't have the full ride. I seemed to remember plenty of work/study opportunities avail and rumor of good slots for athletes. Usually things like this are the exception rather than the rule.

When I gave up my athletics it was my choice because I wanted to support myself. Others have the same choices. With every decision in life there are compromises and with life experiences one can have a greater understanding of what those are.

Isn't that the key though?

College football players should not get paid anything more than their scholarships allow. They signed the scholarship, they knew the rules when they signed that document. It may be a less than glamorous life, being a scholarship athlete, but college life is rarely glamorous for anybody. To me, there is no good reason to pay scholarship athletes a salary.

I dont know, ask some of the wealthiest men in the world how far they went without one.

If the option is feeding one's family or college sports, sorry, you make sacrifices. Not everybody can follow the dream, life is hard.

Again, college sports is not a right, its a privilege.

Gates is the ultimate exception, not the rule. His foundation's main focus, in the US, is improving public education. I.e., he believes in the value of education and sees it as paramount to improving one's life. It's a complete flip of the coin of life that he achieved all he has after dropping out of school.

Zuckerberg is another exception and not the rule. If we go by the example of some of the wealthiest men, we should just pray our kids are naturally gifted with enough intellect to get accepted into Harvard so they can drop out and be billionaires.

If we go by the example of some of the wealthiest men, we should just pray our kids are naturally gifted with enough intellect to get accepted into Harvard so they can drop out and be billionaires.

Would that be any different than praying that our kids become gifted athletes so they can get college scholarships to play a sport?

Back