PING G400 Max Driver - THP Review Thread

Jman;n8906455 said:
For me, the Max was the vastly superior driver to the Rogue. Way more consistent, lower spinning, and forgiving as the day is long.

Definitely not lower spinning for me. Canadan and I saw an internal chart from a different company (not Callaway or Ping) that showed that as well. Outside of spin, they were similar for me.

JB;n8906459 said:
Definitely not lower spinning for me. Canadan and I saw an internal chart from a different company (not Callaway or Ping) that showed that as well. Outside of spin, they were similar for me.

Remember when we tested all 3 versions at the range? I believe the Max was better but all the G400 spun off the planet for me, probably nothing a shaft change wouldn't help with but I found it to definitely be a higher spinning head.

jdtox;n8906466 said:
Remember when we tested all 3 versions at the range? I believe the Max was better but all the G400 spun off the planet for me, probably nothing a shaft change wouldn't help with but I found it to definitely be a higher spinning head.

I do. With that said I think some golfers outside of fitting, etc will have success with that. But yes, you and I saw similar numbers and Mward was in the same area as well. 350-500 rpm consistently higher.

JB;n8906471 said:
I do. With that said I think some golfers outside of fitting, etc will have success with that. But yes, you and I saw similar numbers and Mward was in the same area as well. 350-500 rpm consistently higher.

Very true. I actually liked the looks and feel of the driver just wasn't a good fit...for me.

Been playing with my max majority of the season, and after tinkering with the loft and hand position I was hitting some straight bombs.

Fitter had it right where I have to have my shaft cut down some, one I bought has fill length, but as I choked down an inch or so it's really consistent. Mishits (typically high toe) lose about just 10 yds but what would be a hook is just a draw.

On of my courses has 3 par 5s that dog left so it has been really consistent for me there. I was lift with a 5i, 4w was into the wind) and 3h in for those

Definitely worth getting for anyone considering.
Someone locally is selling a reg flex LH for $175 (can probably talk down), if anyone is interested pm me and we can arrange me getting it and shipping it out to ya

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Did anyone find that the MAX launches significantly higher than the Rogue? I get good height off the Rogue at 10.5 but if the MAX tends to launch higher I’m wondering if the 10.5 might balloon on me a bit.

gmiller598;n8906512 said:
Did anyone find that the MAX launches significantly higher than the Rogue? I get good height off the Rogue at 10.5 but if the MAX tends to launch higher I’m wondering if the 10.5 might balloon on me a bit.

i didn't spend a ton of time testing the rogue. just a couple swings here and there out of somebody else's bag. i quite liked it, to be honest. but the max is in a league all its own for a player like i am. i am low launch low spin. the max has been the best driver i've ever gamed. more fairways, more confidence. i'm not smart enough to know why, but i can confirm that earlier this year in a fitting i decided to bring my hot garbage driver swing with me. every driver we tested was a short, ugly block fade no matter what i did. but the max, with the same bad swing, gave me a little pull cut right down the middle every time. the trackman numbers were the same, but the results were night and day better with the max than the other 4 or 5 drivers we tested. the fitter basically threw his hands up and said we can't beat that, don't change it.

McLovin;n8906525 said:
i didn't spend a ton of time testing the rogue. just a couple swings here and there out of somebody else's bag. i quite liked it, to be honest. but the max is in a league all its own for a player like i am. i am low launch low spin. the max has been the best driver i've ever gamed. more fairways, more confidence. i'm not smart enough to know why, but i can confirm that earlier this year in a fitting i decided to bring my hot garbage driver swing with me. every driver we tested was a short, ugly block fade no matter what i did. but the max, with the same bad swing, gave me a little pull cut right down the middle every time. the trackman numbers were the same, but the results were night and day better with the max than the other 4 or 5 drivers we tested. the fitter basically threw his hands up and said we can't beat that, don't change it.

Based on that, I'm really looking forward to seeing how your fitting goes in December and what you end up with.

jdtox;n8906535 said:
Based on that, I'm really looking forward to seeing how your fitting goes in December and what you end up with.

you and me both!!!

For me, they were similar based on launch monitor time with both.

JB;n8906459 said:

It was for me, based on my LM time, by a solid 500 RPM.

This is why choices and options are good.

That all said, I had very little luck with the entire Rogue line long term, especially the fairways (fore LEFT!)

gmiller598;n8906446 said:
So I’ve pondered this one for a while and I have an opportunity to pick up a used LH for around 200.

I’ve been happy with my Rogue but if this is a fairway finder I’m interested. I’m getting good contact with the Rogue but generally hit in the left or right rough and just missing the fairway.

What is the experience with those who made a similar transition? I’m not a big hitter so I don’t want to give up distance but I don’t hit dead center often enough. Is the Max a big step up on off center hits?

For $200, I'd grab that LH Max. You'd be able to sell it no problem for $200 if it's not for you. What's the loft and shaft in it? I have the LH 10.5 with the Tour shaft in stiff. I have my Max dialed in now, it's long and straight. Took a longest drive prize in a big field Sunday. Sometimes I wonder what I'd do with a 9* but the way I hit it Sunday, that'd be dumb.

Kenomikes;n8906587 said:
For $200, I'd grab that LH Max. You'd be able to sell it no problem for $200 if it's not for you. What's the loft and shaft in it? I have the LH 10.5 with the Tour shaft in stiff. I have my Max dialed in now, it's long and straight. Took a longest drive prize in a big field Sunday. Sometimes I wonder what I'd do with a 9* but the way I hit it Sunday, that'd be dumb.

It’s a 10.5 with the stock Alta R shaft. There are other options in the similar price range with the discounts applied but I’m really curious to pull the trigger on it. I used to play a 9* lofted up to 11 to close the face in prior drivers but I don’t nearly slice as much anymore. (There has to be a Spinal Tap joke in there somewhere.) I play the Rogue 10.5 in the neutral setting. Last time out I had it in the upright draw setting and everything missed right except a couple of bad swings that just left the face wide open.

And I go back to the site and double check the price prepared to pull the trigger and it’s now 50 bucks more. :(

i guess they they must have had a sale that ended last night that I didn’t realize.

It probably does, but it also goes. It never ballooned on me.

OK, I just pulled the trigger on one from 2nd Swing. They had it marked down on sale an additional $48 and then I applied the lefty discount code they have running right now. Including the grip replacement to my preferred Cross Comfort midsize grip it was $220 out the door for a grade 9 rated used club. I'm really interested to see how this one will work for me.

sonic boom

micro phone drop

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Got my G400 Max out on the range for the first time tonight. It definitely is going to be an adjustment period from a Rogue. I'm not sure if it is the counterbalancing in the shaft and head, the shaft itself or a combination of both but I had an extreme hook. Ball speed and flight were very good otherwise. I just need to learn to hit is straight. I started to feel it after I hit some balls and tried to slow down my tempo a bit. I feel like my hands were more prone to flipping and closing in a way that wasn't happening on the Rogue. Once I get that dialed in it seems like this will be a clear but winner over the Rogue.

Got my G400 Max out on the range for the first time tonight. It definitely is going to be an adjustment period from a Rogue. I'm not sure if it is the counterbalancing in the shaft and head, the shaft itself or a combination of both but I had an extreme hook. Ball speed and flight were very good otherwise. I just need to learn to hit is straight. I started to feel it after I hit some balls and tried to slow down my tempo a bit. I feel like my hands were more prone to flipping and closing in a way that wasn't happening on the Rogue. Once I get that dialed in it seems like this will be a clear but winner over the Rogue.

I’ve noticed the CB shafts can do that for me too. Could be something to it, dunno. Max is such a solid driver when you get it all dialed up. Best wishes with it!

I had a Rogue SZ in the same loft as my GMax, 10.5°. Plus, I had the Rogue SZ's loft dialed up 1° more.

The Ping still launches higher. Used 2 different shafts for the GMax, 3 for the Rogue SZ, results were the same as to usual trajectory.

However, I've never had any ballooning issues with the GMax. Not once, even into the wind.

I’ve noticed the CB shafts can do that for me too. Could be something to it, dunno. Max is such a solid driver when you get it all dialed up. Best wishes with it!
Could certainly be something to that. I switched back to my Rogue just to see if it just wasn't my swing because I generally had a terrible session tonight with every club. I haven't hit that poorly in a long time. I think my swing tempo was quite a bit off in general tonight and I was getting way too quick and I'm sure that contributed to my hook with it even though the Rogue was going pretty straight. Maybe dabble with a different shaft to lock it in eventually but I'll give it another go this weekend with hopefully a better and more relaxed swing but I really had to push it from in to out to make it go straight. That concept in and of itself is something I need to do more of regardless.

Couple of more range sessions with the driver under my belt and I'm finally adjusted to it pretty well. It really is straight once you get adjusted. I'm still possibly overdrawing a bit but I'll put that on my technique. It was getting dark at the range so once the ball got a certain distance out of the lights I lost sight of it but it was definitely high and straight.

Couple of more range sessions with the driver under my belt and I'm finally adjusted to it pretty well. It really is straight once you get adjusted. I'm still possibly overdrawing a bit but I'll put that on my technique. It was getting dark at the range so once the ball got a certain distance out of the lights I lost sight of it but it was definitely high and straight.

I'd try a stiff Alta or stiff Ping Tour shaft in that to see if it straightens it out. Worked for me.

Easily the best driver I've ever owned. I've learned to tee it higher than I'd normally do and in the last 3 rounds, I've missed 2 fairways by a foot. It's that accurate and long too.

Back