Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

hhhmmm This has me thinking. Some of the best irons I hit in the past were the R9 TPs. Even thought the R11s are longer, I had better accuracy with the R9 TPs.

Too bad our specs are different, you could hit mine if you want.

Too bad our specs are different, you could hit mine if you want.

I have hit them and plan on hitting them more at demo day. I want to put the 588 CBs up next to them too.

Last edited:
I wish. The i20's with the PXi are sitting at Roger Dunn in Honolulu fiending to hit a golf ball as we speak. I, however, am on vacation in Tennessee.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Still? That was a week ago!! Get your a$$ back home and give me some info? Still disappointed they weren't with you in TN.

Can't wait for you to get home :)

Still? That was a week ago!! Get your a$$ back home and give me some info? Still disappointed they weren't with you in TN.

Can't wait for you to get home :)

Sorry. In TN till the 25th...

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Gotta say jman, that is one serious scorecard. I feel you on the putting brotha. I have been in the process of trying a blade vs mallet putter forthe better part ofthe season and feel was becoming an issue big time, but the mallet went back in my bag last week and I am not looking back. I wanted that blade to work (oddessy) but I could not forthe life of me get used to a poly insert. It just felt dead and I like to feel that I struck the putt rather than a muted roll. I usually a 29-31 putter, and on my good days about 26-28 with my mallet (bazooka v5 t) so I didn't really need to change, but when I get yippy I pummel it past. Hope that transition to classic comes to fruition and then it's time to really see what's possible. Oh, and I must say, eagles are Soooooooooo choice.

Just got an email from the shop notifying me that it would be $6 per club to paint the numbers red for me...really?!?! I told them to cancel it, I can do it myself for less than $5 total.

I do that, too (if you can't tell, I'm obsessive about creating club lag for solid ball contact). Very good drill.

Co-signed!
Now that you mentioned it, painting those numbers on the sole to red might be interesting. However you might want to double check with ping before you do that. they might consider this tinkering with the club and your warranty might get voided?

Its just all coming together, I really think I'll make another solid run at it today after work too, I've just got so much confidence its ridiculous. As to the weather, isn't that normal for you guys? hahahaha

I will say also a bit off topic that Ireland is number one on my wife and I's list to visit when she gets done with residency, I've always always always wanted to go visit.

Jman, if you do visit, make sure you give me a shout and i'll bring out and put you on a life-changing links golf course in Wicklow. It's awesome. As for the weather, generally May is a good month for us. It's just freezing now and i'm am being battered by 50-70km winds every weekend. Its not fun. Not fun at all.

Now that you mentioned it, painting those numbers on the sole to red might be interesting. However you might want to double check with ping before you do that. they might consider this tinkering with the club and your warranty might get voided?
Its paint. And besides, if it came to that just repaint them black.

To TC and Jman - i feel you with the putting. I had a seemore putter i got last year and just couldn't miss with it. I went through 5 rounds without a 3-putt and hit so many long 1-putts it was just funny. Then all of a sudden, i started missing 5 footers and 3-putting more and more often. I then started choking on 5 footers. I just couldn't trust my alignment. I put an odyssey backstryke in my bag about 6 weeks ago and bye bye to 3-putts. The alignment just suits my eye. It is the most ugly looking putter ever made, but i could care less when i'm never missing a 10-footer.

This has happened to me for the past number of years. I seem to play well with a putter for about a year and then it goes cold on me and i'm forced to change. I can't explain it but for a long time i'd be happy with the alignment of a putter and then suddenly it just wouldn't suit me anymore. I'm a putter manufacturers wet dream to be honest.

WTC. Is this microphone on?

Its paint. And besides, if it came to that just repaint them black.

Yup, this was going to be my response. No way in hell I am paying $50 to have PING paint the #'s red for me, I ordered a Sharpie Oil Based Extra Fine Red paint pen for $4.25 last night...I'll do it myself. I'll pay the $4.25 for a black paint pen to get it back to black if it ever comes to that point.

Any update on the clubs wearing down on the face? I see the results being posted but I would also like to know if they are retaining the look. My current clubs, Ping Eye 2's still look great and I was hoping this set would hold the same.

Focus here, focus. Putting and Ireland is for another thread, we come here to read about i20's. But I'll join in on the party and give you a pat on the back on the nice round. Hopefully the i20's give me the confidence they seem to give you. Golf's mental enough a game that it can have a HUGE impact on score.

Any update on the clubs wearing down on the face? I see the results being posted but I would also like to know if they are retaining the look. My current clubs, Ping Eye 2's still look great and I was hoping this set would hold the same.

My finish looks great. The face is worn a little but nothing worse than any other iron I've ever had. I think there was just a bad batch.

Now, I absolutely believe the set wedges are really really good and most would be thrilled and shocked by how well they play, but the SCOR's are just stupid good so its really not a fair contest. I really think the 4-UW in the i20's and 53/57 SCOR's could be a deadly, DEADLY combination.

That's great information Jman. I have the 3-UW in the i20's right now with SCOR 54 and 58 on order. I've only played 1 round with the i20's so far but the UW was very impressive. Really easy and accurate to hit on full shots and very good on chip shots around the green. Haven't used the UW yet on partial shots so I can't comment on that but the club is already becoming a real favorite of mine. I ordered the SCOR 54 and 58 just to have 4 degree gaps between the clubs. I'm currently using Cleveland cg15's in 56 and 60 until the SCOR's arrive. I was really tempted to get the set SW and LW but finally went with the SCOR's. Thanks for your review, I feel better about the decision now!

First time poster on this forum. First off, just want to says THANKS for all the great info on this site.

I have been keeping my eye on the Ping i20s for awhile and after a fitting at a PGA superstore, I ordered a set of red dot 5-LW i20s last week. Can't wait for them to arrive (scheduled for delivery next week).

Probably one of my biggest questions is how the wedges will perform. This will be my first complete set thru the LW. Hoping I get the benefit of more consistency from PW-LW than my current setup (PW with seperate Cleveland 52 and 58 wedges). I actually ordered the LW with a custom Tour Grind as typically use the lob for more finesse shots and tight lies around the green.

That's great information Jman. I have the 3-UW in the i20's right now with SCOR 54 and 58 on order. I've only played 1 round with the i20's so far but the UW was very impressive. Really easy and accurate to hit on full shots and very good on chip shots around the green. Haven't used the UW yet on partial shots so I can't comment on that but the club is already becoming a real favorite of mine. I ordered the SCOR 54 and 58 just to have 4 degree gaps between the clubs. I'm currently using Cleveland cg15's in 56 and 60 until the SCOR's arrive. I was really tempted to get the set SW and LW but finally went with the SCOR's. Thanks for your review, I feel better about the decision now!

You won't be disappointed in that combo Keoni, will be VERY good to you...and try chipping with the UW, I think you'll love it. Thank you for the kind words!

First time poster on this forum. First off, just want to says THANKS for all the great info on this site.

I have been keeping my eye on the Ping i20s for awhile and after a fitting at a PGA superstore, I ordered a set of red dot 5-LW i20s last week. Can't wait for them to arrive (scheduled for delivery next week).

Probably one of my biggest questions is how the wedges will perform. This will be my first complete set thru the LW. Hoping I get the benefit of more consistency from PW-LW than my current setup (PW with seperate Cleveland 52 and 58 wedges). I actually ordered the LW with a custom Tour Grind as typically use the lob for more finesse shots and tight lies around the green.

First, WELCOME!!!!

Second, thank you on the kind words it really does mean alot to us.

Third, you'll like the wedges. I compared the SCOR's and the i20 wedges today but Griff said it best in that if I didn't have the SCOR's I would not give a second thought about just gaming the i20 UW, SW, and LW, they really are very VERY good. What WRX grind did you get on your LW? I had them put the Tour Grind on mine and it did wonders as far as versatility goes.

Here's a link to a post with the grinds I got:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...eview-Thread&p=1223854&viewfull=1#post1223854

Thanks JMan. Again, your initial videos/feedback is what got me so pumped about the new i20s. I have had a set of old Ping G5s for several years and after some improvement to my game, I am really looking forward to this new set (and handing down the G5s to my son).

As far as the grinds, I got the Tour Grind on just the LW. I was thinking of doing it to all the wedges but I figured I would just start with the LW and see how I like it (I figured I could grind the others later if necessary) And I thought the extra bounce on the SW and UW would give me some versatility across all three. I am a bit surprised on how high the bounce is on the irons in general..but havent seen anyone mention that as a problem?

Again, can't wait for them to arrive!

Thanks JMan. Again, your initial videos/feedback is what got me so pumped about the new i20s. I have had a set of old Ping G5s for several years and after some improvement to my game, I am really looking forward to this new set (and handing down the G5s to my son).

As far as the grinds, I got the Tour Grind on just the LW. I was thinking of doing it to all the wedges but I figured I would just start with the LW and see how I like it (I figured I could grind the others later if necessary) And I thought the extra bounce on the SW and UW would give me some versatility across all three. I am a bit surprised on how high the bounce is on the irons in general..but havent seen anyone mention that as a problem?

They do certainly come off as a high bounce set when you look at all the spec's but honestly PING got it right as its in all the right places and it does not become a detriment to the club at all in my experience so far. Its one of those things where they had a design purpose and it just clicks and works brilliantly and it makes all of us hackers sit back in amazement and happiness with some kick arse clubs! HAHAHAHA!

The only iron that I think could give the i20 a run as far as awesomeness goes is the i5's. Those were legendary. IMO these are better and will go down as the best iron Ping has ever made. Not sure how they can top these. These irons have everything you could want

The only iron that I think could give the i20 a run as far as awesomeness goes is the i5's. Those were legendary. IMO these are better and will go down as the best iron Ping has ever made. Not sure how they can top these. These irons have everything you could want

Chunky, those are some epic words sir! I can't dispute them thought from what I'm seeing right now, so dang good!

You know, the soles of mine look great, although the paint fill on the PW is halfway gone, which kind of sucks. The faces definitely show some wear on the grooves from impact but you kind of have to tilt the iron in the sun at the perfect angle to really see that. I guess I didn't get i20's out of the batch that some people saw some awful wear and tear from. I have to be honest though, there's a part of me that has that odd feeling of next time I get them out they'll look like they have a crackle finish on them or something, LOL. Ever since I heard about the "finish" issues, I've been kind of paranoid that mine will have those issues.

Just watched Mark Wilson's WITB video: http://www.golf.com/video/my-bag-mark-wilson

Interesting that with his i20s down to the 46* PW, he then has 7* gaps to the 53* GW/SW and 60* LW.

That's just a HUGE gap. Seems to fly in the face of conventional wisdom.

Back