Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

I think you would like the PXi. You seem to take a healthy cut

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Ah crap! You aren't helping at all. Are we going to have an i20/mountain golf fest this weekend?

Hows the offset on these badboys? This is a skim I admit.

Hows the offset on these badboys? This is a skim I admit.

Progressive though the set but minimal really, it's one of the top things I love as I don't handle too much offset well visually and swing wise. Even at the 4i it's not that much at all, just enough to help. They got it right IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Progressive though the set but minimal really, it's one of the top things I love as I don't handle too much offset well visually and swing wise. Even at the 4i it's not that much at all, just enough to help. They got it right IMHO.

Sweet thanks a lot!

Sweet thanks a lot!

No prob at all JRod, can't wait to hear your thoughts good and bad.

S+ is right between S and XS, but you would have to hard step the Stiffs 4X to get to the XS. My SS with my 6 iron is around 90-92. I currently play the C-Tapers S+ soft stepped once in my MCs. The i20s fly higher so I know I need to go up in flex to keep the flight down.

Thanks for the info Teeth. My SS is about 88 with a 7iron. I got a golf lesson this morning and raised my small concern about whether i got the right shaft or should have gone for the S+. He felt i got the perfect shaft. If i went up to a S+ my ball flight would have been too low. I'm relieved and happy that I don't have to go tinkering with my irons.

I took about 4 lessons with a local instructor and I was very specific that my entire goal was to only lower launch angle. I was amazed when looking at video and pictures at how even with the ball my hands were at address. While I don't really scoop the ball, I was more of a picker so what we were seeing was very minimal forward shaft lean at impact. For the past two months, this is all I have worked on. A slightly new ball position at address as well as implementing a mechanism in my preshot routine to remind me to keep my hands a little forward at address.

Firstly TC, i'm a left-hander too and agree with you - we just hit the ball better!

Secondly, well done on the swing improvements. I was just at a golf lesson this morning and I think there is no better feeling than that Eureka moment when a good golf instructor sorts out a swing flaw that's been ruining your game. I had 3 A-HA moments this morning and after realizing my errors i was back to striping my irons and feeling that i20 loveliness and falling in love all over again. He also sorted out my driver issues, so hopefully low scores shall ensue.

Hey Guys,
Got fitted at two different places last night because neither had perfectly complete fitting carts. First place had me at +1/2", White, CFS S. I was actually better with Silver (3.75* up) but he didn't want me going so extreme when I'm making swing changes that'll reduce my need for such an upright lie. He didn't have any KSB's on the cart.

Next place set me up with KBS Tour Stiff, Hardstepped once, +1/2", which I loved. But he gave me one tip on my setup that had me hitting the ball more square and really reducing my need for the upright lie so while taking in to consideration the silver impact tape, he recommended I go blue dot (.75* upright).

So here I am, high handicap, trending down, faced with a decision to make. Do I get fitted for where I am now or where I should be in the next month or two? I'm leaning towards the future and going blue but am wondering if perhaps I should go at least one more step upright with yellow dot (1.5* up).

Any thoughts?

I'd go fitting for where you are now....just me though.

Hey Guys,
Got fitted at two different places last night because neither had perfectly complete fitting carts. First place had me at +1/2", White, CFS S. I was actually better with Silver (3.75* up) but he didn't want me going so extreme when I'm making swing changes that'll reduce my need for such an upright lie. He didn't have any KSB's on the cart.

Next place set me up with KBS Tour Stiff, Hardstepped once, +1/2", which I loved. But he gave me one tip on my setup that had me hitting the ball more square and really reducing my need for the upright lie so while taking in to consideration the silver impact tape, he recommended I go blue dot (.75* upright).

So here I am, high handicap, trending down, faced with a decision to make. Do I get fitted for where I am now or where I should be in the next month or two? I'm leaning towards the future and going blue but am wondering if perhaps I should go at least one more step upright with yellow dot (1.5* up).

Any thoughts?

I'd go fitting for where you are now....just me though.

I agree. You can always get them adjusted later if you need to , right now is what matters most IMO.

I am thinking about going to Golfsmith during their Ping fitting month just to see how the experience is and what clubs they say I should get.

Estimated ship date of my order is May 24th, which means they will likely be on a truck while I am out of town on an annual golf trip with my high school friends. I was hoping to have them here by the 25th when I head out. WTC!!!

I am thinking about going to Golfsmith during their Ping fitting month just to see how the experience is and what clubs they say I should get.

From experience, I can say it's a pretty terrible experience. But, it's worth a shot...see how you feel about the fitter, I always ask tester questions to get a feel for how much they know.

Plus, they don't seem to have many shafts available to try....which was a big let down.

As a note ahead of time, this round was played with the 49, 53, and 57 SCOR's in the bag to compare to how the i20 wedges have been, those shots will not be referenced in the round, but instead at the end.

REFERENCE LINKS:
Spoiler

• Unboxing: CLICK HERE
  • Initial thoughts: CLICK HERE
  • First Round: CLICK HERE
  • First Range Session CLICK HERE
  • Second Round: CLICK HERE and HERE
  • Second Range Session: CLICK HERE
  • Third Round: CLICK HERE
  • Wear Report: CLICK HERE
  • Fourth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Third Range Session: CLICK HERE
  • Fifth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Sixth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Seventh Round: CLICK HERE
  • Wear Report #2: CLICK HERE
  • Eighth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Ninth Round: CLICK HERE

ROUND/RANGE RUNDOWN:

Date: 5/9/12
Played: 18 Holes
Weather: 78* and 5 MPH Winds

Round Rundown:

999.png

• GIR's: 10/18
  • Two "fringe's" that could be considered GIR's too

Hole 1:
Par 4 - 371 - 5
  • PW from about 120 out to start and got chunky on this one. Not a good way to start, quickly saw though I'd let the ball creep up in my stance again.

Hole 2:
Par 3 - 157 - 3
  • 9i here again. As PROOF I'm getting longer with the i20's too because this is traditionally an 8i or even 7i hole depending on the pin for me. CRAZY! Great strike, I was just aimed a little right of the intended target and ended up on but 19 feet away from the cup.

Hole 3:
Par 5 - 457 - 3
  • Cut the corner again here and set myself with 154 out. 8i all the way without any doubt, ball back where it should be and I striped the pee out of this shot. Freaking beautiful flight and a hop and stop just off the green (fringe) about 6 feet form the cup (which I DRAINED for me first Eagle in what seems like forever).

Hole 4:
Par 4 - 396 - 4
  • PW from 123 out according to golfshot, another just peaceful and productive strike, little much release on this one but ended up on and 12 feet for a birdie chance.

Hole 5: Par 4 - 409 - 4
  • No i20 shots. SCOR 49.

Hole 6: Par 4 - 370 - 4
  • No i20 shots. SCOR 53.

Hole 7:
Par 3 - 166 - 4
  • PW to a tight front pin that my golfshot said played 134 to the front and downhill or I would have never taken anything less than a 9i here. The biggest pure thin/blade I have had with the i20's. Ended up past the green by a huge amount, bad shot! BAD!
  • SCOR 57.

Hole 8: Par 4 - 418 - 5
  • Drive put a big tree in play over head about 125 out so I went with the hooded 7i punch to play the bump and run back in my stance. Just not enough club, on line, but should have used a 5i or even the 4i. 8 yards short of the green.
  • SCOR 49.

Hole 9:
Par 5 - 530 - 5
  • No iron shots.
  • SCOR 57.

Hole 10:
Par 3 - 170 - 4
  • 7i from the tee here and just like the day before I toed it and left it open a bit. Wound up short right of the green by about 15 feet, dry though and the distance I still got out of it was ridiculous considering how poorly struck it was.
  • SCOR 57.

Hole 11:
Par 5 - 494 - 4
  • No iron shots.
  • SCOR 53.

Hole 12:
Par 5 - 491 - 6
  • After a massive tee shot....8i form 145 out and downhill to a water guarded green. Just got cute with it because of the downhill. This put me just short of the green but dry on the front bank.
  • SCOR 49.

Hole 13:
Par 4 - 353 - 3
  • PW from 135 out in the rough left (literally an inch further and I'm OB thanks to the hook). I was worried about the lie but I striped it because I just swing and didn't try to get cute like the last hole. Ended up hanging on the fringe but only 8 feet from the cup.

Hole 14:
Par - 4 - 410 - 4
  • 9i from 142 out of the right rough after a push off the tee. Best feeling iron shot all day, the turf interaction was ridiculously good from where I was and the ball just took the perfect path. Ball actually ended up to 5 feet after about 4 feet of release. Me likey.

Hole 15:
Par 4 - 426 - 5
  • SCOR 49, SCOR 53.

Hole 16:
Par 4 - 370 - 4
  • Best tee shot I have ever had on this hole. SCOR 49.

Hole 17:
Par 3 - 169 - 4
  • 8i to a middle pin. Smooth and sweet, actually dropped on to 10 feet......at this point I was looking at score so naturally I would 3 putt.

Hole 18:
Par 4 - 414 - 5
  • 7i from 158 out to an uphill green. Just not enough, just like yesterday I should have gone one club more, a 6i would have been on safe but instead I ended up short about 15 feet.
  • SCOR 49.

GENERAL THOUGHTS:

OK, so, some round thoughts before I get to the i20 wedge and SCOR wedge comparison and thoughts.

First and foremost, this 76 is the best round I have ever put up in my almost 3 years of taking golf serious and playing more than 2 times a year. To say I was ecstatic would be an understatement, especially because I KNOW there were strokes left out there (33 putts anyone?). More than that though, the i20's have contributed to this as much as anything else I have done with my game, put me at 160 and in and I genuinely believe in my heart of hearts I will hit the green. I've never been like this before but these clubs have built that confidence into me and hopefully it will rub off some on the other facets of my game.

The feel through impact (or sound) may be what makes these the most for me, you just KNOW you got all over the ball when you strike it. Still feedback there, but nothing forceful one way or the other, good or bad, you just know where you got it at. The bounce I think is still a concern for some looking at them, like it was the testers here too, but it really is the perfect amount to cut through turf but not dig..that is a fine line to walk and it was nailed here.

Now, wedges, people have asked so I took out the i20's (UW, SW, LW) a round and the SCOR's (49, 53, 57) the round immediately following the next day. These are just MY THOUGHTS mind you:

i20 UW (49*) vs SCOR 49:
This one is really really easy for me based on these two rounds, the i20 UW is an animal. Around the greens I'm much more precise with it and didn't thin any like I did with the SCOR and it honest to goodness is nicer on full shots, and that's were I use this this loft the most. It feels more forgiving but that might be because it just feels more constant with the rest of the set. Mind you, I hit some very nice shots with the SCOR 49 but the consistency was not there in this 1 round vs 1 round comparison. Advantage i20 for me.
i20 SW (53*) vs SCOR 53:
Not so cut and dry but the SCOR 53 takes the race here and its honestly because of the TYPES of shots I use the 53 for around the green and 1/2-3/4 shots as well. It was just more consistent and there was NO digging or worse yet the bounce getting in the way a bit even with the grind from WRX like I got out of the SW on the tight lies around my courses and others around here's greens. Now, out of the trap, the i20 is king, like STUPID easy king for me compared to the SCOR (and like all ping SW's in my experiences). Advantage SCOR.
i20 LW (57*) vs SCOR 57:I'll preface this by saying I have absolutely love the i20 LW and been loud about being impressed by it, and I really still am for a set wedge, but honestly the SCOR 57 dominates it for my game. The V-Sole is just SOOOOOOOOOO perfect around the green for these courses and what I like to do (I like to use my 57....alot). Plus, its hardly a full swing club for me but when it is I get better turf interaction in that portion/range of the course as well because of how tight the lies get in those regions as well. Even with the grind on the LW the SCOR is just more versatile and easy to use in this spot. Advantage for sure and honestly SCOR.

Now, I absolutely believe the set wedges are really really good and most would be thrilled and shocked by how well they play, but the SCOR's are just stupid good so its really not a fair contest. I really think the 4-UW in the i20's and 53/57 SCOR's could be a deadly, DEADLY combination.

For the duration of testing though, the i20's will be back in the bag so who knows how feelings may or may not change.

Also, I forgot, I still haven't been able to get the dang 7i, 8i, 9i vid to upload yet (and I foo look forward to the ribbing I'll get for being in athletic shorts and a T-shirt that day LOL). Hopefully our IT guy will unblock my flipcam software so I can use our network to get them up. Either way, I plan on taking more today.

Its about that time I should be reading a PXi/i20 combo review from Colt, isn't it?

I wish. The i20's with the PXi are sitting at Roger Dunn in Honolulu fiending to hit a golf ball as we speak. I, however, am on vacation in Tennessee.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

First and foremost, this 76 is the best round I have ever put up in my almost 3 years of taking golf serious and playing more than 2 times a year. To say I was ecstatic would be an understatement, especially because I KNOW there were strokes left out there (33 putts anyone?). More than that though, the i20's have contributed to this as much as anything else I have done with my game, put me at 160 and in and I genuinely believe in my heart of hearts I will hit the green. I've never been like this before but these clubs have built that confidence into me and hopefully it will rub off some on the other facets of my game.

Damn Jman, that is some round of golf!! Fantastic stuff but from reading your reviews throughout this thread it was only a matter of time. Well played Sir, well played. I'm hoping I can put a round like that together this year myself. Reading your reports is just spurring me on. Unfortunately, this weekend didn't work out great for me. We are being hammered with very cold and very very very windy conditions at the moment so a good score is impossible.

Damn Jman, that is some round of golf!! Fantastic stuff but from reading your reviews throughout this thread it was only a matter of time. Well played Sir, well played. I'm hoping I can put a round like that together this year myself. Reading your reports is just spurring me on. Unfortunately, this weekend didn't work out great for me. We are being hammered with very cold and very very very windy conditions at the moment so a good score is impossible.

Haha, thank you very much for the kind words, it really does mean alot.

Its just all coming together, I really think I'll make another solid run at it today after work too, I've just got so much confidence its ridiculous. As to the weather, isn't that normal for you guys? hahahaha

I will say also a bit off topic that Ireland is number one on my wife and I's list to visit when she gets done with residency, I've always always always wanted to go visit.

Awesome round Jman. Can't say I'm surprised about the SCORS. I said this once and I'll say it again. If the SCORs didn't exist I wouldn't even consider switching from the set wedges.

Look @ Jman go! You're going to be a scratch golfer soon bro. It sure is fun being in positions to hit these irons at greens. I was thinking about something last night dude: I've hit the last 13/13 par 3's in regulation. That's pretty cool.

That's a great update Jman! Nice playing....you're a serious golfer!

Great playing Jman! I am seriously feeling withdrawl from not being able to play a real round for almost 2 weeks. The i20's make every round more enjoyable.

Awesome round Jman. Can't say I'm surprised about the SCORS. I said this once and I'll say it again. If the SCORs didn't exist I wouldn't even consider switching from the set wedges.

Thanks Griff! I agree completely....but the fact is the SCOR's are just SO good for me up there.

Look @ Jman go! You're going to be a scratch golfer soon bro. It sure is fun being in positions to hit these irons at greens. I was thinking about something last night dude: I've hit the last 13/13 par 3's in regulation. That's pretty cool.

Thanks buddy, I don't know about all that lol, it is funny to think how it took me almost a full year and a half of low 80's to finally break it and now it comes more frequently than I ever could have thought.

13/13 on par 3's is KILLER, I would die for that stat. The 3's are often what has traditionally killed a round for me.

That's a great update Jman! Nice playing....you're a serious golfer!

Hahahaha, SERIOUS! Thanks Hanks, I'm getting there. I can tell you my dad is now legitimately worried about when we finally meet up this summer. Its what has been driving me since I started getting more attentive to the game.

JMan that is a serious round right there. We might have to Chunkyponder S56's for you!

You just wait Jman, you'll be firing off mid 70's rounds for a while now, trying to get that elusive round of even par. It'll happen though, just keep trusting in all things i20.

JMan that is a serious round right there. We might have to Chunkyponder S56's for you!

BAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm not man enough for the might S56's lol

You just wait Jman, you'll be firing off mid 70's rounds for a while now, trying to get that elusive round of even par. It'll happen though, just keep trusting in all things i20.

I do love the chase dude. Once the tee game gets back into shape, I really do think I can make a run at it this summer. I never thought this way before the i20's, it was always to just try and not screw up or blow up. Now its to score.

Back