Playing Out of a Divot?

Divots (>50% of ground ball is sitting on is not similar surrounding grass as agreed upon by playing partners) should be deemed GUR and get a free drop so long as its in the fairway or intentional rough.

It's whatever you want it to be. This thread is a hypothetical solution to (or retention of) a silly non-rule.

If you would concede the idea of GUR for a fairway divot, I'll gladly concede the idea of GUR for a rough divot :ROFLMAO:
I'm trying to understand your logic, not your conclusion. I'm trying to understand if your issue with having to hit out of a fairway divot is because the ground conditions should not require you to play from there or because your shot should not have been penalized by being in a divot.

You seem to be suggesting the latter. And, if that's true, I think there are far more situations where a shot can come to rest in an undesirable lie even when the shot "should not have been penalized."

To be fair, hitting divots in the fairway happens basically never, too.
How could you have such a firm understanding of the experiences of millions of golfers?

I hit into divots on an awkwardly regular basis.

How so? "Play it as it lies" is not a PGA Tour rule, is it?

They follow the rules of golf. The problem is, the governing bodies want to make these rules changes that are because of the professional game, which is not the amateur game. The groove rule, perfect example. USGA and R&A made a big stink about the grooves and how they were making the game too easy for the professional. Okay... What about the rest of us? Then you made equipment companies change their stuff, and now it spins almost as much as the old grooves did. What did all this accomplish?

I'm really not a fan of that rule at all, if I had the choice I would change it in a heartbeat. As far as I'm concerned, if you hit a shot in the fairway then you should be rewarded for that and not penalised for someone not repairing their divot. If it's on a downslope or side slope then so be it, at least it will be sitting well for you to give you every chance.

If you hit it into the woods, or the rough then you take your chance. If it takes a lucky kick out then so be it, but you have to be prepared to take your 'punishment' for a waywood shot.

How could you have such a firm understanding of the experiences of millions of golfers?

I've been known to hit my ball into my own divot:LOL:

I'm trying to understand your logic, not your conclusion. I'm trying to understand if your issue with having to hit out of a fairway divot is because the ground conditions should not require you to play from there or because your shot should not have been penalized by being in a divot.

You seem to be suggesting the latter. And, if that's true, I think there are far more situations where a shot can come to rest in an undesirable lie even when the shot "should not have been penalized."
Because I believe that the intended location of a drive is the fairway, and have sympathy for those who are punished by bad luck despite hitting the ball where they intended. My sympathies are lost when the results are outside the fairway, and therefore, I have mostly indifference on how rough is played from.

It's not that I would object to GUR in a rough divot, I'm just indifferent on it.

I am at a loss how water in a bunker isn't considered the same.
Because a bunker is a hazard to begin with. Filling with water only changes it to a different type of hazard.

Because I believe that the intended location of a drive is the fairway, and have sympathy for those who are punished by bad luck despite hitting the ball where they intended. My sympathies are lost when the results are outside the fairway, and therefore, I have mostly indifference on how rough is played from.

It's not that I would object to GUR in a rough divot, I'm just indifferent on it.
Right, so my confusion is why are you against preferred lies in the fairway under all circumstances?

Agreed. Fairway is the intended target, and should be rewarded as such. Its the fair way (ha) to not have to play out of a divot.

Because a bunker is a hazard to begin with. Filling with water only changes it to a different type of hazard.

Not really anymore. You can now ground your club in a hazard, you cannot in a bunker...

I see your point. I'm sure you're talking about the part of the fairway within a certain distance to the green where most divots are found. Just to let you know, I have landed in divots not too far in front of the ladies tees, not that I'm proud of that, but would that be considered GUR if it's in the fairway?

Because it's overreaching in my books. I don't think we need to take it that far.
Your position suggests divots are the only bad lies one can get in a fairway. If it's about rewarding the player, preferred lies seems to be the only fair solution since it would always be applicable.

By that logic if I am playing 16 at your home course the intended location of my shot is the green. If the ball hits the flagstick and ricochets into the water. I should be able to place the ball next to the hole with no penalty. Since that was the intended location.

Agreed. Fairway is the intended target, and should be rewarded as such. Its the fair way (ha) to not have to play out of a divot.

This response wins the day for me... so good! 😇

Your position suggests divots are the only bad lies one can get in a fairway. If it's about rewarding the player, preferred lies seems to be the only fair solution since it would always be applicable.
I'm suggesting they are the only lies that genuinely aggravate me. What other lies are you referring to?

By that logic if I am playing 16 at your home course the intended location of my shot is the green. If the ball hits the flagstick and ricochets into the water. I should be able to place the ball next to the hole with no penalty. Since that was the intended location.
haha, my guy, that's not even close to my intended logic.

Also, quit being so accurate. It's scary.

Wow .... this has been a fun thread to catch up on!

I'm suggesting they are the only lies that genuinely aggravate me. What other lies are you referring to?
Being in a burnt out section of the fairway, having my ball settle into a seam of old sod, longer grass that the mower missed, there are a whole host of potential imperfections in the fairway.

They follow the rules of golf. The problem is, the governing bodies want to make these rules changes that are because of the professional game, which is not the amateur game. The groove rule, perfect example. USGA and R&A made a big stink about the grooves and how they were making the game too easy for the professional. Okay... What about the rest of us? Then you made equipment companies change their stuff, and now it spins almost as much as the old grooves did. What did all this accomplish?
Probably nothing, but some of us enjoy playing by the rules. Nothing says everyone else has to. We just enjoy it.

I can’t say I have strong opinions either way. I’d be happy to see the rule change, but I’m also ok with how it is now. But one thing that keeps coming up here is the phrase hitting in the fairway should be rewarded. If that’s the case, we should probably ban links golf. If you’ve ever played links golf, you’ll know hitting the fairway doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll be playing from the fairway when the ball has come to rest. At the end of the day, golf isn’t a fair game played in perfectly controlled conditions. That’s one of the reasons why it’s such a great game. Fun and frustration in equal measures.

I see your point. I'm sure you're talking about the part of the fairway within a certain distance to the green where most divots are found. Just to let you know, I have landed in divots not too far in front of the ladies tees, not that I'm proud of that, but would that be considered GUR if it's in the fairway?
A fairway is a fairway is a fairway. I don't even care if it's the wrong fairway lmao

preferred lies in the opposite fairway. It's happened to me

Back