Price Point Threshold?

$100. I've been very happy with the putter I've had longer than many of you have been alive. if something happened to it, I know I can get another one off Ebay for less than $100. To me, putters are not like other clubs in that the new technology will not improve my scores (not like the newest tech in other clubs has helped a whole lot!) My opinion, and I could be wrong, is that most of the "advancements" in putting are cosmetic and not really going to help me make more putts so spending a ton of money is just a waste.

I'd say $600 is a solid limit I'd like to stay at or below. I would go higher but I'd probably put it off and save a bit instead of pulling the trigger right away

$400 is my mental limit. I can’t buy that much of a better game. But by buying used or last gen I’ve never spent more than $200.

You can get a great bottle of wine for $200, but you can also get one for $20. Maybe it's my age, but I find spending over $200 for a putter a bit odious. I have been using the same putter I was fit for back in 2016 and have no plans of changing it, especially given the price of today's putters.
Yeah, I’m done buying new, shiny and expensive hoping they’ll work better. My game doesn’t change much just because I spent a bunch on a putter 👍🏻

No real price limit. I also don't buy limited edition putters that you would collect and hang on a wall.

I would say between 3-$400 . I don't know about a custom one anymore. I bought one over 10 years ago and only spent $450 ish and I believe I couldn't touch one for that today .
I've owned 1 Scotty and don't feel them worth their price

Probably $400 but I’d rather not.

I would probably pay 1K for a well fit putter that would keep me from straying.

400-500 or so. Right in there with a new Oddessy or SC. I paid 450 for my Edel 4.0

$400 tops, and that was for a Scotty.

I forget what I paid for one of @Space Bandito 's beauties, but I know it felt like stealing at the time. I could see going $500 if one spoke to me. If I had the money, I'd be one of those guys with Tour Rats and 009s.

The most expensive putter I've bought was $3,000 for a Circle T from the Scotty gallery in Encinitas. That one has not seen the course yet

My current game was custom fit at the new Bettinardi studio so I talked myself into justifying the $1,800 price tag for a 1 of 1 putter.

My wife and kids surprised me w/ a Scotty last year for Father's Day but I guess I didn't spend that myself. I would say $250-$300 is where I would end up.

< $500 is my ceiling, but prices will only keep going up in the future. I'm not much of a boutique/limited edition guy - I can absolutely admire the design and craftsmanship, but I'm not tempted to buy.

Probably $500-$600 would be the max I would spend probably.
I think most people would benefit more from a custom fit putter than a custom fit Driver!

Never spent more than $300.00 on a putter for myself. Just don't see any benefit when I can get really nice forged and milled putters for that.

I once thought $500 would fix my putting problems. It didn't. Last time I will spend that much

I think I'm about to step in it here ...

I totally get personal preference, looks, joy, etc. when it comes to putter selection. So pay whatever you want for that club. But how much will that high dollar putter improve your score? It seems like putters and HiFi audio have a lot in common. You can pay a lot for emotion and perception but does the science back it up?

Anyway, do what makes you happy. I'd have a hard time paying more than a few hundred bucks for a decent putter.

300 has usually been about my limit.

about $300 is where I draw the line, unless there is custom fitting involved

I would say $250 would be my max. My last putter purchase was an Odyssey Stroke Lab V-line purchased from Callaway Preowned for under $200. Love that putter and really don't think buying a higher end putter would help me at all.

For THPers when it comes to this segment of the bag, do you have a ceiling point on what you would spend on a putter? Does it stretch for custom? Does it stretch for limited editons? What is that final ceiling point in your current life?
The money invested in my LAB $600. Was the most is spend but also 100% worth it.

Not a big custom putter guy and would say my ceiling right now is $250. I will note that I have not been fitted or played with a lot of different putters and if I did do a fitting and it showed a drastic improvement then I would be willing to go up.

I think I'm about to step in it here ...

I totally get personal preference, looks, joy, etc. when it comes to putter selection. So pay whatever you want for that club. But how much will that high dollar putter improve your score? It seems like putters and HiFi audio have a lot in common. You can pay a lot for emotion and perception but does the science back it up?

Anyway, do what makes you happy. I'd have a hard time paying more than a few hundred bucks for a decent putter.
A lot of the boutique putters are nothing more than Ping Anser knockoffs. There's no tech behind them and nothing that's going to improve your score, it's all about the bling and the "status" that comes along with them.

I'd be willing to pay more for a putter with some tech that could help me make more putts than I would for something that looks like it got coated in glue, dragged through a junk jewelry bin, and stamped by a third grader hyped up on sugar.

Back