Price Point Threshold?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
For THPers when it comes to this segment of the bag, do you have a ceiling point on what you would spend on a putter? Does it stretch for custom? Does it stretch for limited editons? What is that final ceiling point in your current life?

More than makes me comfortable typing because I might get murdered in my sleep. I’ve spent 4 figures before, and would again in the right situation.

I have failed the internet and have never bought a putter over about $200

Paid $400 for the Tri-Hot 7 CH this year and that’s about all I’m willing to go

Much prefer the $125 i paid for the Nova 40 on sale with the military discount 🔥

Ralph Wiggum Danger GIF

The LAB was a couple dollars.

Limit would be under $500. I probably would not consider a custom. I’m also unlikely to consider limited editions. However, all could change if the right circumstances presented themselves to me.

It would have to be really really special for me to spend more than say $600 on a putter. Comfort zone is probably under $400 though

400 is my limit. Even if you guaranteed me it would make everything I looked at

I'd say $500 not including any fitting costs. But lets be honest, that could totally move higher for custom if I thought it was worth it.

$400 is the threshold for me but there are exceptions. Depending on the putter I would consider $750 as a one time purchase. Similarly, I have been tossing around the idea of saving for a Circle T

Last putter I bought new was in Jan 2002, A scotty Pro Platinum Newport 2 mid-slant which I still use today. Haven't been needing a new putter since. so dollars saved, but if I was looking, anything over $250, nope. I wouldn't even look at it today.

Last edited:
As of today’s date, I wouldn’t pay over $750 for a putter. It’s the most used club in my bag during a round, so I’d be willing to go that high.

I can’t say that I really have a limit so to speak. I’ve contemplated going the circle T route straight from SC. I’ve tried to get my hands on a few boutique putters because I liked the looks of them. So can’t really say that I have a ceiling.

Anything over $350 is a Kenny Loggins.

I have zero desire to buy any special edition or limited offering putter. Those putters fail the cost:value ratio for me.

A Sacks Parente and Rossie Tri-Hot are both $399.99. A custom LAB DF2.1 is north of $500. So, my max range would be somewhere in there. I would feel more comfortable pulling the trigger below $300.

I think around $400.

Preference though? I would love to be sub $200 for some reason. Under that and I think it is reasonably priced, and I don't feel terrible if it doesn't work out.

The most I’ve paid is $600 and it was for a used putter with a $350 shaft in it. I could go more than that but still love getting a deal and buying more putters instead. :) I have 3 Toulon putters that were like new from CPO or eBay and the average price paid for them was $240. When you buy 4 or 5 each season it makes sense to a get a deal on some of them. :ROFLMAO: They are still a lot cheaper than my wife’s shoes or purses, lol.

$200 is my max for now, which probably prices me out of most putters nowadays, unless I had a trade-in club to help lower the cost. Might stretch a little for custom, but only if it’s to marginally lengthen or adjust the loft/lie.

Putting has always been the strongest part of my game and the extra $ for “maybe” a small extra benefit doesn’t justify the cost to me.

I stay away from “limited editions” or “boutique” putters. Just not my thing. Plus me out of the running gives those who want them a much better chance to get ‘em …. 😜, so you’re welcome!

I’m not worthy! In the 80’s I thought I dropped some serious coin on a ping anser 2, 60 bucks. Lately I’ve been putting great with a five dollar carbite mallet I found at a church rummage sale. Go figure

I know, I know. The putter is the most used club in the bag, but the most I've spent is just under $300 and my gamer for the last 3 years cost me a bill and it serves me well. That said, it would have to come with a fitting for me to approach $500 and that would most likely be my limit.

I have no interest in paying a premium for limited runs, but custom options are another story. I’m a mallet guy, so that limits a lot of both those options. Toulon garage at $600 is probably roughly my ceiling.

My limit is $300, if it’s more than that I’ll just buy it used. I don’t really care what they look like as it’s just a tool to me not a work of art or anything. I don’t even put them in a head over so they’re going to get beat up in my bag anyway.

As the great Ariana Grande says---My receipts be looking like phone numbers

giphy.gif

I have failed the internet and have never bought a putter over about $200
This is both a failure and success…
I like being married. So same.

IMG_1985.jpeg

Back