Pro calls out Vijay for playing a Korn Ferry event

is the objection because it's a hall of famer, PGA tour pro or that it's a hall of famer, PGA tour pro named Vijay Singh?

I think it's a dick move by Vijay. Will he bring more eyes to that event? Probably. But he's not doing it for that reason, it's totally selfish and he's taking away an opportunity for someone who is probably struggling to make their dream come true on that tour. In typical Vijay fashion it's a jerk move.

I think it's a dick move by Vijay. Will he bring more eyes to that event? Probably. But he's not doing it for that reason, it's totally selfish and he's taking away an opportunity for someone who is probably struggling to make their dream come true on that tour. In typical Vijay fashion it's a jerk move.
Can you imagine if he misses the cut :ROFLMAO:

I’d have more respect for this guy if he called him and voiced his concerns. Doing this on social media doesn’t speak to the guys character, just reflects the way people think you can behave today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Every player has a right to make money. Yes he has fully eligibility on the PGA Tour & plays on the Senior Tour but so what. If there was a tournament at my home course, a course that I knew every blade of grass & had opportunity to make some money for my family ... you're damn right I would play. One tournament is not going to make or break the regular guys on the Korn Ferry tour's year. He needs to get a grip in my opinion.

Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself. I would have tried, but I would have, somehow, offended someone.

Vijay is certainly unlikeable....this doesnt help things

I agree with the first part, but the 2nd part should have no bearing. There are plenty of reasons to hate Vijay already and this is a non-issue.

I feel like the issue is more who is playing, not that a fully exempt player is playing. If it were somebody more likeable, I think the conversation would be positive and we'd be talking about how great it is because more eyes will be on that tournament and that's always a good thing for a tour that needs more exposure and more revenue.

Personally, I have no issue with it. If he wants to play, go play. Beat his a$$ on the golf course and keep your mouth shut. Guys with status play on the lower tours all the time. Fully exempt guys? Maybe not. I still don't really see the problem.

I am sure he can call and get some competition together without disrupting other tours schedule. As mentioned on the podcast - I cannot imagine people saying yeah we will get sooo many more viewers if Vijay tees it up this weekend. I say he should come out and donate his check back to the pot.

My fav part about this, circa 2003;

What is she going to prove by playing? It's ridiculous. She's the best woman golfer in the world, and I want to emphasize 'woman.' We have our tour for men, and they have their tour. She's taking a spot from someone in the field. " -- Vijay Singh

He wants to her miss the cut next week in the Colonial.

And on the odd chance that he is paired with her, Singh says he won't play.

In the strongest comments yet about Sorenstam becoming the first woman in 58 years to compete on the PGA Tour, Singh said the 32-year-old Swede has no business playing at the Colonial and should stick to her own tour.

''I hope she misses the cut,'' Singh said in an interview with The Associated Press after his runner-up finish at the Wachovia Championship. ''Why? Because she doesn't belong out here.''
The current president of PGA Suzie Whaley was the first woman to officially qualify to play in a PGA event....and then Annika ran and grabbed a sponsors invite to beat Suzy to be first....Suzie beat a full field of men to garner a spot in the GHO/Travelers.

I'm not a Vijay fan anyway, so my perception of it is colored right from the start. But I do think Schnell is "Karen-ing" a little too hard, too.

is the objection because it's a hall of famer, PGA tour pro or that it's a hall of famer, PGA tour pro named Vijay Singh?
That's a good question. Which other hall of famer has done this? The answer is none of them have done this. Next question is why haven't any other hall of fame golfers ever entered Korn Ferry events? I think the answer to this one will lead everyone down the path of why this is a dick move by Vijay, which is why people don't like him in the first place.

I'm not a Vijay fan. That being said I don't have a problem with him playing. He is ranked 849th int he world. It's not as if DJ or Rory is teeing it up and beating up on the KFT guys. Besides great publicity and eyeballs for the tournament with him playing.

Who’s Brady Schnell? And why do I care what #913 in the world rankings has to say. And this tough guy wants to get in Vijay’s face? Vijay is following the PGA Tour rules. Get mad at them for making the rules.
Mike Weir played the same tour last year and no outrage, https://www.golfdigest.com/story/why-is-mike-weir-a-masters-champion-playing-on-the-webcom-tour
It’s all perception, Vijay is reviled for his comments and deer antler spray and other things, while Weir is non controversial.
And btw, I’d take Vijay any day over that keyboard warrior Korn Ferry player, already forgot his name🤣🤣

And while we’re at it, said future clubhouse pro should learn how to spell while trying to insult a hall of famer. “Hey @VijaySinghGolf you are a true piece of trash if you except (sic) money playing in a Korn Ferry Tour event and I'll say it right to your face,"
Except...Vijay doesn't need the KF tour....at all. Weir stopped playing well, and as the PGA tour goes, if you lose your card on tour or don't hit a certain end rank, you have to play back through the KF tour. Plenty of "PGA tour pros" lose that right and have to play KF again. I don't think this really applies at all, as I don't believe MW had his PGA tour card last year unless I'm mistaken.

However, I don't really care if he does. Is he kinda a d***? In general yes, but in this case if it's really his home course and the tour wants him in it, then whatever. I won't remember he even did it ultimately.

this same thing happens in pro surfing all the time Championship Tour (CT) guys competing in Qualifying Series (QS) events to make points to stay on the CT...I think it's BS, tho...if you're PGA, you're PGA...just my $0.02

Wow, really? I had no idea Vijay still actually had fans.
Knowing Vijay was in the field would deter me, if anything.

Who said anything about being a fan of Vijay?

No matter your personal opinion on him he's still a fairly well known name in golf which would get a lot more people interested in the event then if the biggest name was someone they've never heard of.

Plus while you may think he's a giant asshole I doubt the average casual golf fan really knows anything about that so all they see is a big name golfer playing nearby

I think it's a little effed up if he plays in something like this and if he does, I hope he misses the cut :sneaky:

Who said anything about being a fan of Vijay?

No matter your personal opinion on him he's still a fairly well known name in golf which would get a lot more people interested in the event then if the biggest name was someone they've never heard of.

Plus while you may think he's a giant asshole I doubt the average casual golf fan really knows anything about that so all they see is a big name golfer playing nearby
I was responding to "If I heard that Vijay was playing a Korn Ferry event in my backyard I would certainly go (if fans were allowed that is)"

So I guess in answer to your question, he did? :sneaky:

For me it's not about Vijay the d-bag (although I'm not going to pretend that if I never heard his name again, it will be soon). It's about a guy with a storied career, struggling at nothing in life presently, taking a spot from a potential up and comer.

Maybe my problem is more with the exemption status than it is guys like Vijay - I'm equally dissatisfied with that logic.

Even though he has the right to play in the event, I think it's a bit selfish on his part. He certainly doesn't need the money. He already has a Tour he can play on. Sure he may want some tournament reps, but given how many he has played in, I don't this one event will make or break his season.

Does playing in a Korn Ferry tour event for someone with a history of PGA tour wins adequately present as a "competitive experience"?

Wouldn't calling up a buddy who's good at golf for some matchplay present a better challenge? ...or is he in the Reed bubble and has no one to call? So now he's forcing his presence on KF players?

I get that my take is quite callous toward the whole thing, but it's where I am with it. KF should be a feeder, not a twilighter.

Does playing in a Korn Ferry tour event for someone with a history of PGA tour wins adequately present as a "competitive experience"?

Wouldn't calling up a buddy who's good at golf for some matchplay present a better challenge? ...or is he in the Reed bubble and has no one to call? So now he's forcing his presence on KF players?

I get that my take is quite callous toward the whole thing, but it's where I am with it. KF should be a feeder, not a twilighter.

I think you're on point with all of this. THere has to be some level of blame on that tournament and KF tour. THey did let him play and had to know it would be controversial.

i feel like hes only playing because its his home course, meaning fans/family/local businesses/charity want to see him play? idk
Just throwing this out there. Does any of his endorsement contracts have a minimum event clause?

I think you're on point with all of this. THere has to be some level of blame on that tournament and KF tour. THey did let him play and had to know it would be controversial.
The tourn really had no choice in the matter. He is allowed to enter the event on his pga status, since he isn’t eligible in the PGA event that week on his status.

Kinda hope he gets paired with Schnell and just waxes him for pure spite.

Back