Project X Even Flow Riptide Shaft

There are a LOT sleeping on it on the internet at the moment because of the Rogue, both for name recognition and resale. The Riptide isn’t getting the buzz I expected it to, but it’s early.

Now to install my tester in my OG One finally...

@Jman, can you remind me which weight tester was sent to us?

I hit the Mavrik driver yesterday for half an hour with the Riptide 50 gram stiff shaft. No matter how hard I went after it and even with the high right block that I see when I fail to release the club, the shaft remained very stable and kept spin under 3000. For a shaft in the 50 gram class, that is remarkable. I am truly surprised it was not offered by more OEMs in this year’s new clubs.

This is a really good shaft and would work for a lot of people.

I agree! The Riptide is a tremendous stock option, and I think it can fit a ton of people. It also looks amazing.

I was swinging 93-94 at the ECPC and was fitted into the 50r. Since I've been back, I've been swinging more in the 96-97 range, and even on aggressive efforts to go after one (sim golf), I've been impressed with how stable the regular flex shaft is. I've added a 50s with my Custom Mav, because I'm working on adding speed. But I'm a big fan of the lighter, yet stable 50g versions.

Last edited:
I've had enough fun with these early on that I jumped in. I got on well with Riptide 60s in the Mavrik driver, and same 60s in Mavrik fairways. I am taking a chance an ordering the fairway with a 70s although only 60s was available in store. Biggest impression I have is I like how they feel especially right through impact, Riptide sync's up well with my tempo.

Saw on the PX site today that there is an 85g Hybo shaft now.

@DB TT what is this sorcery? I need to know more!

Is there a handcrafted/small batch version of this as well as a normal version like the one that comes in the Mavrik?

That blue looks sick!

I've been wondering this toooooo. Maybe the mid/mid is scaring people off?
Mid/Mid you say?

I hit the Mavrik driver yesterday for half an hour with the Riptide 50 gram stiff shaft. No matter how hard I went after it and even with the high right block that I see when I fail to release the club, the shaft remained very stable and kept spin under 3000. For a shaft in the 50 gram class, that is remarkable. I am truly surprised it was not offered by more OEMs in this year’s new clubs.

This is a really good shaft and would work for a lot of people.
I’m devastated Cobra doesn’t offer it - how does it stack up to the Smoke and Smoke Yellow?

Saw on the PX site today that there is an 85g Hybo shaft now.

@DB TT what is this sorcery? I need to know more!
Well this is good news if I can get along with the OG

Haha!

It’s still one of my favorite discussions with people.

I guess I’m just confused.
For example the HZRDUS Red, Yellow, Black line etc had a $100 version (mass produced) and a $300 handcrafted/small batch version. I know both are made from similar materials but I was always Under the assumption that the handcrafted/small batch were under higher QC standards.

Not the same concept here ?

I hit a Mavrik tonight with the Riptide orange 50g / 5,5 and it felt really nice. If I wanted to buy this shaft would it be around $100 Or $300?
If I look at the Callaway 2020 shaft guide it just says Riptide. Next to many other Project X shafts it says “small batch” in parentheses.

I guess I’m just confused.
For example the HZRDUS Red, Yellow, Black line etc had a $100 version (mass produced) and a $300 handcrafted/small batch version. I know both are made from similar materials but I was always Under the assumption that the handcrafted/small batch were under higher QC standards.

Not the same concept here ?

I hit a Mavrik tonight with the Riptide orange 50g / 5,5 and it felt really nice. If I wanted to buy this shaft would it be around $100 Or $300?
If I look at the Callaway 2020 shaft guide it just says Riptide. Next to many other Project X shafts it says “small batch” in parentheses.
Small Batch is what Hand Crafted was.

Made/rolled in Cali, small batches. Same design. Same materials. Same steps.

Non small batch are made in factory. Same design. Same materials. Same steps.

Non small batch is 1000% the same real shaft as small batch.

I’ve got one on the way, so let’s see what happens. Bad news, it may take a long time to unpack the club

Mid/Mid you say?

I’m devastated Cobra doesn’t offer it - how does it stack up to the Smoke and Smoke Yellow?

The OEM offering on the Mavrik drew me in I won't lie. I liked the feel for my tempo. I hit it as well (based on limited time) or better than the Smoke Black (which I like) in my Speedback 3w last year. For some reason I've never been wow'ed by Smoke Yellow..., and like Smoke Red quite a bit in my Z585 and F85 last season. I'm kind of a lousy shaft tester, but I would say the Riptide is a little more lively and responsive in a good way than Smoke or Smoke Yellow. Smoke Red and Riptide give me similar good feels, but I only have a couple hitting bay sessions so far with Riptide.

Got it. So the price diff is because one is made in CA and one overseas?

Mid/Mid you say?

Compared to the Smoke and Smoke Yellow, it definitely has more kick in terms of feel. It spins and launches more
Mid/Mid you say?

To me, the Riptide is closer on the spectrum to EvenFlow Blue, but somewhat sliding over towards the Hzrdus line. It spins more and kicks more than Hzrdus, but has a more stable feeling than EvenFlow. It would be like if EvenFlow blue and Smoke had a baby and the baby had 20% of the characteristics of Hzrdus, but the rest EvenFlow.

Got it. So the price diff is because one is made in CA and one overseas?
Reason for difference in price: Larry makes a good living.

Last edited:
Compared to the Smoke and Smoke Yellow, it definitely has more kick in terms of feel. It spins and launches more

To me, the Riptide is closer on the spectrum to EvenFlow Blue, but somewhat sliding over towards the Hzrdus line. It spins more and kicks more than Hzrdus, but has a more stable feeling than EvenFlow. It would be like if EvenFlow blue and Smoke had a baby and the baby had 20% of the characteristics of Hzrdus, but the rest EvenFlow.

Thanks for the comparison. I like the EvenFlow Blue and am curious to try this (and the LinQ Purple) as soon as I can.

Back