You mean missing on the side of the fall line where the ball at least has a chance? Whereas on the low side you never had a single chance?

Yes, that's what I mean. Missing on the high side is no better than missing on the low side.
I believe especially good putters are not too worried about missing on the low side of the hole. In contrast, a player thinking "high side" all day often misses too many putts on the high side.
As for "has a chance", do all the missed putts on the high side really have more of a chance than putts which missed on the low side ? If the putt was struck on too high of a line it's too high and never had a chance.
I like the thought of "putt at a pace that will leave the ball a foot past the hole", but I am not in favor of a constant "high side" focus.

Yes, that's what I mean. Missing on the high side is no better than missing on the low side.
I believe especially good putters are not too worried about missing on the low side of the hole. In contrast, a player thinking "high side" all day often misses too many putts on the high side.
As for "has a chance", do all the missed putts on the high side really have more of a chance than putts which missed on the low side ? If the putt was struck on too high of a line it's too high and never had a chance.
I like the thought of "putt at a pace that will leave the ball a foot past the hole", but I am not in favor of a constant "high side" focus.
Yes, if the pace is correct on the high side the fall line takes it to the cup. On the low side there is LITERALLY no pace that will result in anything other than a miss.

Yes, if the pace is correct on the high side the fall line takes it to the cup. On the low side there is LITERALLY no pace that will result in anything other than a miss.

Pace is just one factor (and I am all in for using a pace/speed to get the ball 1 foot beyond the hole).
But no matter the pace/speed,, if the player is aiming too high all day he/she will miss putts on the high side of the hole all day. The best putters are trying to make putts, not "make it or miss on the high side". It definitely can lead to too many missed putts if a player has in his/her mind " "if I miss, I want to miss on the high side".

Pace is just one factor (and I am all in for using a pace/speed to get the ball 1 foot beyond the hole).
But no matter the pace/speed,, if the player is aiming too high all day he/she will miss putts on the high side of the hole all day. The best putters are trying to make putts, not "make it or miss on the high side". It's definitely can lead to missed putts if a player has in his/her mind " "if I miss, I want to miss on the high side".
Lmao, and if they're aiming below the whole all day they miss all putts, regardless of pace. The best putters int he world also putt on fall lines, they don't simply aim right at the cup on everything, they play breaks, and breaks come from....wait for it.....ready......here it comes.....the high side. :eek:

Lmao, and if they're aiming below the whole all day they miss all putts, regardless of pace. The best putters int he world also putt on fall lines, they don't simply aim right at the cup on everything, they play breaks, and breaks come from....wait for it.....ready......here it comes.....the high side. :eek:

I struggle a lot to read enough break. :(

This reminds me of the guy I played with years ago who would tell everybody in the group "well, you missed it on the pro side of the hole". Any time someone missed a putt on the high side he acted as if that was a good thing.
The best putters think about making putts, period. The best putters do not worry about missing putts on the low side, or think that somehow a putt missed low is especially bad.

This reminds me of the guy I played with years ago who would tell everybody in the group "well, you missed it on the pro side of the hole". Any time someone missed a putt on the high side he acted as if that was a good thing.
The best putters think about making putts, period. The best putters do not worry about missing putts on the low side, or think that somehow a putt missed low is especially bad.
Have a great day!

High side? What's that?

Are your students well versed in reading break and does that mean to aim for the top of the break by the hole? @Jman

I don't understand high side.

High side? What's that?

Are your students well versed in reading break and does that mean to aim for the top of the break by the hole? @Jman

High side is the side where the break originates. Low side is where the break finishes.

As we are talking about putting thoughts, Alfonso Ribeiro shares some information on the Foreplay podcast that he heard from Justin Rose's putting "guru" that I thought was really interesting. They then go into just the mental side of golf and how you should be thinking. Interesting how putting thoughts and mental thoughts are throughout golf. Sorry for the 2-3 swears in the video.

I've used that technique a lot. Keep my eyes focused on the afterimage of the ball on the ground. See this afterimage before I look anywhere else. It helps IMO.

I think that's the point. If your pace is off a bit (i.e., you misread), what are the possible outcomes?

1) Aim too low - hit with too much pace: Still missing low
2) Aim too low - hit with not enough pace: Missing even lower
3) Aim too high - hit with too much pace: Missing high
4) Aim too high - hit with not enough pace: ball has a chance to go in

Favoring the high side gives you at least a chance to make a putt on a misread.

If you missed the putt it comes down to some simple things really
1. You didn’t read the break properly
2. You didn’t have the correct pace on the ball
Side note: you will Never make a putt you leave short

High side? What's that?

I have always tried to visualize how the ball will move after I hit it. Like Space Bandito said, "see" it move like a stream of water flowing across the green. I "see" a line curving toward the hole, and I imagine how hard I have to hit the ball to keep it moving along this curved line. The high side is the uphill side (assuming an overall Right-to-left or Left-to-right break).

So my aiming line is tangent to this imaginary curve that I'm seeing on the green. I might pick out a spot on the green 1-2 feet past the ball but aimed along this starting path. I never really look at the hole once I "see" this line. Just get it started in the right direction with the right speed.

I think that's the point. If your pace is off a bit (i.e., you misread), what are the possible outcomes?

1) Aim too low - hit with too much pace: Still missing low
2) Aim too low - hit with not enough pace: Missing even lower
3) Aim too high - hit with too much pace: Missing high
4) Aim too high - hit with not enough pace: ball has a chance to go in

Favoring the high side gives you at least a chance to make a putt on a misread.

This is a good breakdown and exactly my thought process. I've heard what @Jman is saying from a couple coaches and it makes sense with me.

Ok, I think I get the high side. It makes sense to try to putt towards the beginning of the break instead of the finish of the break.

putters be all in my feelz today

for some reason, I want that red ball putter on CPO ?

My putting practice with the Frontline Elevado tonight was really good. I'm making more putts on the course and in practice with it and I hope it continues

I think my new favorite feeling is listening to "you've got a long, ugly putt ahead of you..." then rolling one in :eek::D

After much deliberation today I think I've finally talked myself in to only bringing one putter to Myrtle Beach instead of two or three. That's a debate a normal person probably would never have.

IMO it takes quite awhile to get used to another putting grip

I don’t know how old you are but at 47 I feel like I don’t have time to make drastic changes like a grip change. Takes me a year of bad play to get used to it then if my scores don’t change I feel like I wasted another good year of golf youth. Closing in on the day when I proclaim to people how much farther I used to hit it. Not looking forward to that day.

I don’t know how old you are but at 47 I feel like I don’t have time to make drastic changes like a grip change. Takes me a year of bad play to get used to it then if my scores don’t change I feel like I wasted another good year of golf youth. Closing in on the day when I proclaim to people how much farther I used to hit it. Not looking forward to that day.
I will be 53 in May. Subtle changes you can make and adjust to quite quickly for the most part.

Back