Putting out of a Sand Trap

BriMac

Team Vosh 2024 Victory Cup
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Fluctuates
You won’t see it on the PGA Tour, but under what circumstances would you putt out of a trap? It’s sort of a last resort for me (downhill lie, danger long) but interested to see if it’s in the toolbox for others. Favorable lip on the trap is a given in order to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't say that I've ever done it or would feel comfortable doing it.

I believe I have done it maybe twice in my almost 40 years of playing. The only way I would do it is if that sand was packed very hard and there was very little to no lip to the bunker.

Last edited:
I've done it a couple times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Short sided with no lip on the bunker and the sand is more akin to concrete. That's about the only time I'll consider putting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Have not had the opportunity to do so. Mostly play where the lip is quite high. Dont think if i was in the position i would have a good result

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Hardly any lip and hard packed sand. I've tried it a couple times with so-so results but I've golfed with a few guys who did it pretty often. Lost a hole in league once to a guy who holed one.

Ive done it...many times...and i have 6 hall of fame tags

I’ve seen another THPer do it.

Beau Hossler did it after injuring his shoulder in the NCAAs a couple years ago too.

Why not? I've done it plenty of times on hard sand public courses...but like the other folks said, the conditions must be right to pull it off.

I've done it one time on a greenside bunker after it had rained the day before. Damn near playing like a clay fake trap when mini golfing. Ended up going way past the flag but there's no way I could get a wedge out of that caked bunker.

I have not ever putted from a bunker and I don’t think I ever will

I see the point, but I think I might go for a bump and run with the 4h nowadays. That's my goto on longer running shots around the green lately.

I have done it a few times. Conditions need to be right.

I have used the toe of a blade putter on a stupid under the lip plugged lie and got it oh the green. Can't really say I would actually putt out of one though. Play out sideways or backwards I will do though, rarely.

Not unless the trap is frozen... Even then is probably try to chip it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Not a chance. I don’t think I’ve played any courses in the last 30 years where putting out of a green side sand trap would ever result anything but a 2nd and 3rd putt from the same bunker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No.

100% no, never, not a freaking chance.

This thread offends me.

This thread made me sad. I was so close to saying, "no pro would ever putt out of a bunker" and then I specifically remembered during the Open Championship, Furyk totally putted out of a bunker. He took a half swing with a putter, slammed it into one of the rivets and it ricochet'd out and onto the green. It was a shot he legit couldn't do with a wedge.

I have never done it.

Only been playing about a year though.

I assume if there ever were a right time to try it----the "opportunities" would be few and far between.

Strangely, bunker shots are one of my highest confidence shots. Probably because I have found waaaaay too many.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My wife says if you can putt out of a sand trap then traps aren't traps...call the course superintendent! Blame her! Don't shoot the messenger!

You won’t see it on the PGA Tour, but under what circumstances would you putt out of a trap? It’s sort of a last resort for me (downhill lie, danger long) but interested to see if it’s in the toolbox for others. Favorable lip on the trap is a given in order to consider.

Fowler did it a little over three years ago (https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/65414-Putter-from-the-bunker)

I've done it often. Gotta have firm sand and little to no lip.

Drives Jman CRAAAAAAAZY.

Back