Replace the PGA Championship - You Decide

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
With the Masters upon us, I am reflecting on the red headed stepchild of the Majors, the PGA Championship.

The task you have is, you get to decide it's replacement. You are going to be responsible for creating an event that attempts to create the drama and excitement that the previous 3 Major tournaments have. You are only bound by the following rule:

1. Tournament must take place in the month of August.

You are not bound by a certain format or playing field. The challenge is to design a tournament capable of being mentioned with the same reverence as the Masters, the US Open and the Open Championship.

What would you do?

I'd move The Players at Sawgrass to August

Am I the only one that likes The PGA Championship?

I don't think its a red headed step child I just think it comes at the end and looses some luster. I think it's a great tournament.

Leave it as is. IF there is anything I would do, is throw it closer to September and push back the fedex cup.

I like the PGA Championship. I consider it to be the most fair of the four and usually one of the more exciting majors going into the weekend.

Match Play - The top 64 in the Fedex cup are invited. If its one location - pebble beach. It would also be fine changing every year.

I know some people don't like that the scores tend to be lowest of the majors, but I think it makes for more exciting golf.

I like fupresti's match play to kick off the fedex cup idea.

Match Play - The top 64 in the Fedex cup are invited. If its one location - pebble beach. It would also be fine changing every year.
So no more Europeans

Would Match Play be a viable format for a Major Championship? Personally I want the Stableford system to make a comeback.

I agree, the world match with new format should be used for the PGA Championship.

Would Match Play be a viable format for a Major Championship? Personally I want the Stableford system to make a comeback.

Don't know if Match play would be viable. For me personally the PGA is forgetable. Maybe, I'm bias right now because of March Madness, but brackets are fun to fill out.

The PGA used to be a match play major. I day keep it, but if one were to spice up a little I'd love to see it move to a match play format.

I like it better than the US Open. Low scores and high drama. I'd like for it to have more impact on the Fed Ex Cup. The idea that it's the tournament where players can make big swings to get in, or if there were bonus points available that would carry over so the best players could get ahead, I think would be cool.

I would keep the format as is but 1st and 2nd place would fight it out in Thunderdome.

The PGA used to be a match play major. I day keep it, but if one were to spice up a little I'd love to see it move to a match play format.
Don't we already have a WGC event for that?

LPGA event at Augusta National...... Better than the PGA.

Id make it a 5day event having cuts everyday. The final day with the top 10-15 guys play that round for the win, not using any scores from the previous 4 days.

Don't we already have a WGC event for that?

I didn't realize there could only be one match play event and the rest had to be stroke play.

It's way better than the US Open and the Cow Pasture Open by far.

Master
Players (yes I consider this a major)
PGA

The other 2

LPGA event at Augusta National...... Better than the PGA.

I would like to see that, but the stuffed shirts there will never allow it.

I didn't realize there could only be one match play event and the rest had to be stroke play.
Match play is no Bueno when ratings are built around stars playing on Sunday. A Day/Dubuisson Sunday final will not pull viewers.

Also, the PGA Championship was originally a match play event.
It's way better than the US Open and the Cow Pasture Open by far.

Master
Players (yes I consider this a major)
PGA

The other 2
Cow Pasture Open. Wow. Harsh. I did chuckle though.

Back