SCOR Wedges Review - THP Demo Day

Shawn, obviously you guys have picked the stock shafts for a reason, but duo you gave any comments fire those of us thinking about these with shafts such as DG Spinners or the Hi-Revs?

I've never played DG Spinners myself, so I cannot really comment on how they perform or would perform in our wedges. I do believe that our stock KBS shafts will outperform them though...and are basically engineered to perform just like a hi-rev

We went with KBS for the tight production tolerance we saw during initial testing a few years back. In my opinion...the most valuable thing a shaft can give you is consistent feel...from club to club. KBS is #1 on tour for a reason. From shaft to shaft...they're closer in actual CPMs than anything we tested.

What makes our proprietary versions of KBS Tour / UST GRAPH so special? Stiffer tip to help flight ball lower and make the shaft feels stiffer on full swing speed / full shots. The upper section of the shaft is slightly softer to give you more feel around greens at slower swing speeds...so your can feel the head more than you will with a super stiff super heavy "wedge flex" 130g plus shaft. We offer three flexes in each weight / material. Our goal is to match what you are playing with currently in your irons. Our heads are parallel tip...we trim and tip every shaft for the set we are building...no pre production bulk shaft prep.

mward - wished I'd had a chance to watch you hit a few shots as well. Most likely an issue with shaft length more than V-Sole design...if anything, V-Sole should help keep you from fatting chip shots or digging...because of the high bounce on leading edge. Might also have something to do with swing weight of our wedges because of lighter shafts than most stock wedges. Our wedges feel slight head heavy compared to others because our shafts are lighter.

As many have said here on THP - not a miracle drug by any means, but a great prescription medication for short game blues.

Definitely not a miracle drug, but I'm sure it's a lot like morphine for those with pain from a broken short game. Didn't think about shaft length in comparison in the Scor vs what else I was hitting. I hope I didn't come off like I thought the club was bad, it was just giving me fits and I couldn't figure out why. On full shots, it felt fantastic.

Off topic: I'm going to be in the DFW airport in a couple Sundays for 8 hours if you'd care to join me in a discussion haha

JB: It is ok for the non outing participants to chime in? I don't want to go on and on but as a test for the SCOR's I wouldn't mind throwing in a few comments. I'll can the post in the morning if it shouldn't be here.

Im glad to see so many had success with these! SCOR is a great company and their customer service is fantastic!

Agreed. After doing all the testing, I love seeing people's reactions to these.

Does anyone have experience with the KBS Hi-rev in these bad boys?

Mate, do not pass the Genius 12 shafts, do not collect 200 hairs from TC's beard. Shawn mentioned above how they've tweaked the KBS design and the shaft really works with this head. It's un-nevering to me just how much I can feel the shaft kick through the ball with it but I suspect that is something you would probably like quite a bit with them.
Betcha wish your split the testers with Tmex now dontcha : p

Shawn, obviously you guys have picked the stock shafts for a reason, but duo you gave any comments fire those of us thinking about these with shafts such as DG Spinners or the Hi-Revs?

I ended up playing with a bunch of shafts in the 59 WE. The Genius 12 was superior to the KBS Hi Rev without getting away from that KBS feel. Little lower, touch more spin and with a feeling of more control.
The DG spinners were not a good choice. Now, I already spin the ball quite a lot, at least from full shots, but I was giving up serious yardage and had the dreaded pull the ball back effect going on with the DG's. They didn't perform nearly as nicely on the full shots and I didn't gain any control with them on the partial shots.

I did also try these with the Programs and soon with a Steel Fibre but I'm not sure those are going to be all that interesting to most.

With JBs blessings, we'll do 2 sets for lefty forum testing.

Would love to do a SCOR Project with some of our friends in Texas...Dallas or Houston or central TX.

This would be sweet to see, cant wait to follow along.

I've never played DG Spinners myself, so I cannot really comment on how they perform or would perform in our wedges. I do believe that our stock KBS shafts will outperform them though...and are basically engineered to perform just like a hi-rev

We went with KBS for the tight production tolerance we saw during initial testing a few years back. In my opinion...the most valuable thing a shaft can give you is consistent feel...from club to club. KBS is #1 on tour for a reason. From shaft to shaft...they're closer in actual CPMs than anything we tested.

What makes our proprietary versions of KBS Tour / UST GRAPH so special? Stiffer tip to help flight ball lower and make the shaft feels stiffer on full swing speed / full shots. The upper section of the shaft is slightly softer to give you more feel around greens at slower swing speeds...so your can feel the head more than you will with a super stiff super heavy "wedge flex" 130g plus shaft. We offer three flexes in each weight / material. Our goal is to match what you are playing with currently in your irons. Our heads are parallel tip...we trim and tip every shaft for the set we are building...no pre production bulk shaft prep.

I appreciate this sort of honesty Shawn. In fact, I had no idea that you guys didn't rock bulk shaft prep. That in itself is pretty dang cool.

If only we could find a way to stamp widow maker on them.

Something tells me that you guys could find a way to stamp something on there. And dont forget its Widowmaker, Moneymaker and Wow Factor. You have to have three to take down the man only known as Cookie.

Thanks for the info Shawn, greatly appreciated and exactly the information I was looking for.

JB: It is ok for the non outing participants to chime in? I don't want to go on and on but as a test for the SCOR's I wouldn't mind throwing in a few comments. I'll can the post in the morning if it shouldn't be here.

Mate, do not pass the Genius 12 shafts, do not collect 200 hairs from TC's beard. Shawn mentioned above how they've tweaked the KBS design and the shaft really works with this head. It's un-nevering to me just how much I can feel the shaft kick through the ball with it but I suspect that is something you would probably like quite a bit with them.

I ended up playing with a bunch of shafts in the 59 WE. The Genius 12 was superior to the KBS Hi Rev without getting away from that KBS feel. Little lower, touch more spin and with a feeling of more control.
The DG spinners were not a good choice. Now, I already spin the ball quite a lot, at least from full shots, but I was giving up serious yardage and had the dreaded pull the ball back effect going on with the DG's. They didn't perform nearly as nicely on the full shots and I didn't gain any control with them on the partial shots.

I did also try these with the Programs and soon with a Steel Fibre but I'm not sure those are going to be all that interesting to most.
Thanks for this as well, ST. Very helpful.

Haha I really do. What was I thinking. Genius 12 it will be

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Would love to do a SCOR Project with some of our friends in Texas...Dallas or Houston or central TX.

You know where to find me! :act-up:

Something tells me that you guys could find a way to stamp something on there. And dont forget its Widowmaker, Moneymaker and Wow Factor. You have to have three to take down the man only known as Cookie.

Maybe we can get "Skuller" stamped on there for you. But then again, I bet you wouldn't skull these. :alien:

Shawn - thanks for describing the reason for the chosen shafts for the stiffer tip which promotes lower ball flight. Great info to have for people wondering about other shaft options.

I went in to the demo in love with the SCORs already. I currently have the 55 and 60 in the bag. They really have conformed a lot of my short game around the green. I sometimes just look up in amazement when I stick it close. I also love it a a lot times when I feel like I blade one, but it just sticks and stays on the green. Amazing!

My plan at demo was to compare my AW and PW to SCOR wedges. I really came away impressed. Luckily my irons, R11s, were on the range too. I was able to put them head to head. Here is what I took from the test.

- Full shot feel and distance- SCOR 50 vs AW (50*)- They both felt similar off the face and had similar distance.
SCOR 45 vs PW (45*)- They both felt very similar off the face and had similar distance.

- Half shot feel and distance- SCOR 50 vs AW (50*)- They both felt similar off the face, but I had trouble dialing down the distance of the AW like the SCOR.
SCOR 45 vs PW (45*)- They both felt similar off the face, but I had trouble dialing down the distance of the PW like the SCOR.

- Quarter shot feel and distance- SCOR 50 vs AW (50*)- They both felt similar off the face, but I could not dial down the distance of the PW like the SCOR.
SCOR 45 vs PW (45*)- They both felt similar off the face, but I could not dial down the distance of the PW like the SCOR.

All in all, the SCORs is what I have been looking for in this area. I want a iron/wedge that can have a little bit more versatility. I feel like I have one distance with my AW and PW now. I think this is mostly due to the cavity back feature of them. I plan on replacing these two wedges with SCORs when I get my next set of irons. That might not be far down the road either. HAHA

You were tearing them up for sure.

My review however of these, will be a little different than the rest of what you've heard. I also hit these and came away disappointed. On full shots, they are great. I had no trouble flighting the ball high or low. The feel was awesome. On full shots, I'd give these a solid A-. Around the green however was a completely different story. Of about 40 shots, about 8 were good shots. The rest were heavy. Fringe chips, fringe pitches, 40yd pitches from fairway, 20yds and in from bermuda rough. I thought it was me, but then I'd grab another wedge and from the exact same spot, hit a solid shot. The only thing I can think of is the V sole was giving me fits. I've used a wedge before with a similar sole, the CG12 DSG. It too gave me fits. There's just something about that design that doesn't play nice with me.

If anything, this is a club you really need to try before you buy and really hit all the shots with it before your decision. They're beautiful to look at and really have a great feel and head weight to them. Unfortunately, this one just didn't work out for me :/

I am with mward and Wake on this, and my thoughts are already posted in the original SCOR review thread. I really wanted to like these wedges. The company is obviously so customer-oriented its ridiculous, and just the idea of focusing on custom wedges with 20 different lofts is exciting enough to me. Throw in the V-soles - which I think work exactly as designed - and I thought this would be the perfect product for me. I ordered up a 54*; I probably use my 58* more often around the green, but most of my chips and bunker shots are with the 54*, and I use it a lot in the 40-90 yard range.

I couldn't develop any feel for the club. Chipping is a real strength of my short game, and with the SCOR wedge my chips were all over the place: short, long, too much rollout, not enough rollout....and I really made an effort to chip hundreds of balls trying to develop some feel. I also didn't have much feel on the 3/4 to full shots. The shots were usually fine, and the distances were consistent, but they all felt dead coming off the clubface. I also did not see the massive spin increase many are reporting....I actually saw less spin than from my old wedges, but those had non-conforming grooves.

Like I said, though, the V-sole works. The wedge was by far the easiest to use bunker club I have ever swung. I also tend to hit my distance wedge shots a little fat sometimes, and the SCOR wedges just didn't care....the V-sole would glide through the turf with little discernible distance loss. Whenever I hit one of my Vokeys fat and it comes up short of the green, I always think that would not have happened with the SCORs.

It was a tough call for me, but I think feel is of utmost importance in the short game. So, even though I don't recall hitting any bad shots other than chips with the wedge, I returned it. True to their word, SCOR refunded my money with no hesitation.

I will say this though: I am keeping my eye on the company, and I will likely give their wedges another try in a couple years when the Vokeys are worn out. I also think we might see other OEMs moving to the V-sole once the patent expires.

If I were to go with SCOR's, I would definitely want to try the PW replacement. Not that I don't like my PW, but I would love to have something more "blade" like for my PW. If I did that I would go w/ SCORs in the 46/50/54/58. One thing Shawn said last night that has really stuck with me was that you should keep the loft of your go to wedge around the green. Well, mine happens to be a 56*. However, if I stuck with a 56* SCOR, I'm not sure what I would do for the rest of the set. This is almost too much to think about, LOL

If I were to go with SCOR's, I would definitely want to try the PW replacement. Not that I don't like my PW, but I would love to have something more "blade" like for my PW. If I did that I would go w/ SCORs in the 46/50/54/58. One thing Shawn said last night that has really stuck with me was that you should keep the loft of your go to wedge around the green. Well, mine happens to be a 56*. However, if I stuck with a 56* SCOR, I'm not sure what I would do for the rest of the set. This is almost too much to think about, LOL

I really like this setup! I have thought about bending my 55* and 60* to a 54/58 combo when I get my 50 down the road. I think the PW thought is a great idea. You know we buy forgiving irons mostly for 8-4 and want less forgiveness and more consistency in the 9 and PW area. I think this is why combo sets are becoming very popular.

No kidding! I've been thinking about a setup and I'd probably go 48/53/58 replacing my gap, sand and lob wedges and closing a gap in the lower end of my bag...I do enjoy the Ci11 PW.

Interesting thoughts TC. Im in ponder mode with the SCOR's but not sure if I want to do something like you just listed or stick with my 54/58 setup only.

No kidding! I've been thinking about a setup and I'd probably go 48/53/58 replacing my gap, sand and lob wedges and closing a gap in the lower end of my bag...I do enjoy the Ci11 PW.

If I had a 44* PW I would probably do the same, but then again, I would love to try a PW replacement. I wonder if a 6* gap is way too much. Wtc am I talking about? I guess the most ideal setup for me would be SCOR 45/50/56. Bleh! 45/49/53/57? See, it's too hard to narrow down.

Interesting thoughts TC. Im in ponder mode with the SCOR's but not sure if I want to do something like you just listed or stick with my 54/58 setup only.

I know how much you love your stock Gap Wedges though dude. Maybe it would be fun for you to ponder a SCOR 50/54/58. Then you could have a gap wedge shoot out, per se. See which one's more versatile for you.

Well, I'm going to ramble now, b/c that's the only way I can get all this out. I am a good short game player. Always have been, but I believe I am b/c I've never had tons of options at the bottom end of my bag. I've learned how to hit a 50* wedge anywhere from 60-115 yards, and quite effectively. I've learned how to use my 56* from 85 yards and in, and quite effectively. But am I leaving something on the table? WOuld I be 2nd and 3rd guessing myself a lot with so many short game options? For those of you with 4-5 SCOR's, do you ever find that they limit your creativity and touch?

If I had a 44* PW I would probably do the same, but then again, I would love to try a PW replacement. I wonder if a 6* gap is way too much. Wtc am I talking about? I guess the most ideal setup for me would be SCOR 45/50/56. Bleh! 45/49/53/57? See, it's too hard to narrow down.

You're right...I have pondered 44/49/54/59 in 5* gaps, or do the 44/48/53/58....There are so many options it's crazy. But hey, a couple lefties here might get a chance at testing these, according to Shawn, and I can't wait to see what may happen with that and the feedback from it.

Well, I'm going to ramble now, b/c that's the only way I can get all this out. I am a good short game player. Always have been, but I believe I am b/c I've never had tons of options at the bottom end of my bag. I've learned how to hit a 50* wedge anywhere from 60-115 yards, and quite effectively. I've learned how to use my 56* from 85 yards and in, and quite effectively. But am I leaving something on the table? WOuld I be 2nd and 3rd guessing myself a lot with so many short game options? For those of you with 4-5 SCOR's, do you ever find that they limit your creativity and touch?

knowing your game, I dont think you need 4-5 SCORs. thats just a personal opinion. 3 would be perfect for you

You're right...I have pondered 44/49/54/59 in 5* gaps, or do the 44/48/53/58....There are so many options it's crazy. But hey, a couple lefties here might get a chance at testing these, according to Shawn, and I can't wait to see what may happen with that and the feedback from it.

Seriously?!?! How do I keep missing this stuff?

knowing your game, I dont think you need 4-5 SCORs. thats just a personal opinion. 3 would be perfect for you

You I can trust. So let me ask you this: my PW is 46*, and if I wanted to SCOReplace it, what setup would you recommend?

I like having the SCOR 60 as an extra option. I don't really use it that much, but I like having it to get out of trouble. I tend to use my 55* most of the time. I think you would be ok having the 45, 50, 55 combo.

I would like to see you involved in this testing. I wonder how it could be for your short game. It is pretty near perfect now. I would love to see if SCOR could make it better.

You I can trust. So let me ask you this: my PW is 46*, and if I wanted to SCOReplace it, what setup would you recommend?

well, knowing you never go higher loft than a 56 and a 56 is your go to club, I would reco 49, 52, 56. If you would be willing to go higher, I would really reco 49, 53, 57.

Yep. Here is the word from Shawn:

TC you'd be perfect for this testing...and I would be lying if I didn't hope to get picked...:alien:

Back