Scottie Scheffler vs the Field?

Xander does what Xander does on Sundays. Maybe they felt the pressure of Scottie making a charge I don't know. He earned it like I said I just feel like they blew it.
I could see it from Xander, but felt like Clark was there for the challenge.

I really wanted that putt to drop on 18. That was deflating.

I could argue that Tiger's depth of field was drastically weaker than it is today though.
I think this is completely true. Add that to the fact that Tiger completely changed the game with his distance. Courses started having to add new tee boxes farther back to "Tiger proof" the courses.

I could see it from Xander, but felt like Clark was there for the challenge.

I really wanted that putt to drop on 18. That was deflating.
Clark was, he barely missed that eagle putt and that putt on 18 should have dropped, his mistakes were earlier.

Clark was, he barely missed that eagle putt and that putt on 18 should have dropped, his mistakes were earlier.
Forgot about the missed eagle putt. He had so many close misses with the putter. If he putts like he has in any other round this year on the first 15 holes, he wins.

Forgot about the missed eagle putt. He had so many close misses with the putter. If he putts like he has in any other round on the 15 holes, he wins.
I remember them saying it was his worst putting round by far. I wouldn't say he choked, mistakes are golf. He was there for the finish and kind of so was Harman. I do believe Xander gave it away though because thats what he does. However again thats 3 guys in the mix vs Scottie and I'll still take the odds everytime. Maybe I'll lose but I like those odds.

I remember them saying it was his worst putting round by far. I wouldn't say he choked, mistakes are golf. He was there for the finish and kind of so was Harman. I do believe Xander gave it away though because thats what he does. However again thats 3 guys in the mix vs Scottie and I'll still take the odds everytime. Maybe I'll lose but I like those odds.
I said yesterday that I was taking Scottie, but it's hard to ignore guys like Clark. He's on fire as well. If Scottie isnt in either field the last two weeks he has back to back wins.

But, Scottie was there.

A bit of a side note, from 2004 to 2010 Scheffler won 74 tournaments on the Northern Texas PGA Junior Tour.

Shame Rahm isn't able to face him anymore.
I really hope Rahm, Scheffler and Koepka have their A game for the Masters. Would be an epic show down.

If he could putt like Tiger, the answer would be a strong yes
Scotty has too many daemons with the flat stick. We all know that guys with putter problems are always a bad 3 putt away from the wheels falling off. It happened in phoenix he was on a charge had the lead then the putting gods said no more.

He’s the best ball striker since Tiger no question about that. Unlike tiger no one fears him because Tiger made all the putts that mattered.

Scotty has too many daemons with the flat stick. We all know that guys with putter problems are always a bad 3 putt away from the wheels falling off. It happened in phoenix he was on a charge had the lead then the putting gods said no more.

He’s the best ball striker since Tiger no question about that. Unlike tiger no one fears him because Tiger made all the putts that mattered.

Well I guess its off to Augusta for Scottie.

No one fears him? Well if they don't they are making a big mistake.

No one fears him? Well if they don't they are making a big mistake.
Why would they be afraid of a guy who ended the season 162nd in strokes gained. He’s had 2 good putting weeks. Let’s see how long that lasts.

Why would they be afraid of a guy who ended the season 162nd in strokes gained. He’s had 2 good putting weeks. Let’s see how long that lasts.
Ummm because he was 1st in shots gained off the tee, approach to green, and total for the 2022-2023 season. He was +1.021 off the tee and +1.194 approach to green. For the total shots gained he was +2.314 Yeah he was 162nd in putting at -0.301 shots gained. Those others are way more important than the putting.

For this season he's 89th in putting at -0.006 shots gained. For the others though he's still in first with 0.966 off the tee, +1.268 approach to green, and +2.821 total shots gained. That's almost a 1/2 stroke better than last year which equates gaining almost 2 more shots per tournament. Had his putter just been this good last year he would have probably won 2-3 more tournaments. I'd say they have a lot of reasons to be afraid now.

Reactions: JB
I think we are getting close, but not quite there yet

Well only 1 person of "the field" has beat Chef his last 4 tournaments.....

Some crazy numbers:

-Hasn’t shot over par in 235 days
-67.6 average last 35 rounds
-Datagolf has his current stretch as the 2nd best player in the last 20 years, below 2000 Tiger (will never catch that) and just ahead of 2004 Vijay
-18 of his last 25 tournaments he has been top 5, 21/25 top 10, and has only finished outside the top 20 twice.

I guess the way i think of it is for me to agree with it, he'd have to win half his tournaments he starts in.

I don't think he's going to do that, i'm not sure if Tiger even did that , maybe in 1-2 years at most IIRC

The field is always a better bet.

But right now, Scottie is probably the best player in the world by as big a margin we've seen in some time

Well only 1 person of "the field" has beat Chef his last 4 tournaments.....

Some crazy numbers:

-Hasn’t shot over par in 235 days
-67.6 average last 35 rounds
-Datagolf has his current stretch as the 2nd best player in the last 20 years, below 2000 Tiger (will never catch that) and just ahead of 2004 Vijay
-18 of his last 25 tournaments he has been top 5, 21/25 top 10, and has only finished outside the top 20 twice.
Those are some impressive numbers.

I guess the way i think of it is for me to agree with it, he'd have to win half his tournaments he starts in.

I don't think he's going to do that, i'm not sure if Tiger even did that , maybe in 1-2 years at most IIRC

The field is always a better bet.

But right now, Scottie is probably the best player in the world by as big a margin we've seen in some time
I thought someone on here said that he had 1 or 2 seasons in the 40 percentages. Even if the field is a statistically better bet, that's darn impressive.

He has 2 wins in the last 2 weeks. He also has 2 wins in the last 52 weeks. Wake me up when he’s won a second major.
Wake up!

Was thinking about this thread last night and this morning. Tough not bet this way, once the kid arrives and he’s had time settle in and get back to golf.

For now, the only player who can beat Scheffler, on a consistent basis, is Scheffler himself.

How long he can continue to out class his competition is up to him.

I don't think he's been #1 in the world long enough yet, to be compared with Tiger's run of great play.

The fact that he is definitely more of a family guy than a golfer, may keep him reaching Tiger, or Jack status in the future.

I think I heard none of his wins have come after April or something. Wake me up when he wins later in the season.

I heard an interesting take n the separation between Scottie and Rory in the OwGR. The point difference between Scottie at 1 and Rory at #2 is the same as between Rory and #80.

Back