Scottie Scheffler vs the Field?

The original tweet said “on planet earth”.
There are some guys playing elsewhere who might have something to say about it.
I know I know, Taylor Gooch. But I did compare to Rahm. I'm not saying he is...I'm saying he can make a case.

About a month ago, Rory McIlroy said in an interview that Scheffler should use a face-balanced putter. Then Scheffler goes on a tear. Does McIlroy get an assist or a cut of the prize money? 😜

“Yeah, we’ve all been through it,” McIlroy said. “I’ve certainly been through my fair share of putting woes through the years. And I finally feel like I’ve broken through and become a pretty consistent putter.

“For me, going to a mallet was a big change. I really persisted with the blade putter for a long time. But I just feel like your stroke has to be so perfect to start the ball on line, where the mallet just gives you a little bit more margin for error. That, to me, gave me confidence that I could go forward with that knowing that even if I don’t put a perfect stroke on it, the ball’s not going to go too far off line.

“So, I’d love to see Scottie try a mallet, but selfishly for me, you know, Scottie does everything else so well that, you know, he’s giving the rest of us a chance.”

Craziness

About a month ago, Rory McIlroy said in an interview that Scheffler should use a face-balanced putter. Then Scheffler goes on a tear. Does McIlroy get an assist or a cut of the prize money? 😜

“Yeah, we’ve all been through it,” McIlroy said. “I’ve certainly been through my fair share of putting woes through the years. And I finally feel like I’ve broken through and become a pretty consistent putter.

“For me, going to a mallet was a big change. I really persisted with the blade putter for a long time. But I just feel like your stroke has to be so perfect to start the ball on line, where the mallet just gives you a little bit more margin for error. That, to me, gave me confidence that I could go forward with that knowing that even if I don’t put a perfect stroke on it, the ball’s not going to go too far off line.

“So, I’d love to see Scottie try a mallet, but selfishly for me, you know, Scottie does everything else so well that, you know, he’s giving the rest of us a chance.”

1) Rory never said to use a face balanced mallet
b) Scottie's mallet isn't face balanced

Verdict: no share of winnings to Rory

Last edited:
He clearly is dominating right now and the best in the world. I don’t see the dominance that Tiger seemed to win by. However, if Scheffler were to win multiple majors in 2024 he would enter into Tiger and Jack talks. Tiger won multiple majors 4 years and in 2005 and 2006 was the only player to win multiple majors in the same year back to back.

1) Rory never said to use a face balanced mallet
b) Scottie's mallet isn't face balanced

Verdict: no share of winnings to Rory

You are right he didn't say face-balanced and the Spider X is not face-balanced. However, McIlory still did suggest using a mallet and Scottie is using the same exact Taylormade Spider X that McIlroy is using just with different neck (McIlroy slant neck, Scheffler Plumbers Neck). So, I don't think that is a coincidence. 😂 I think McIlroy should get a cut. 😜😂🤣

SPIDER TOUR X | "THE RORY EFFECT"​

Made famous by Rory McIlroy, the sought-after Spider X shape combines the performance of a blade with the benefits of a mallet design. With TSS weights positioned farther forward, it delivers increased face rotation and 30° of toe hang while maintaining 5,000 MOI for enhanced stability compared to blades.SpiderTour-X-No3-FnB-1~W1250_H900_Mcrop_P50-50.jpg

Last edited:
People seem very confused by the question. Nobody is comparing Scottie to Tiger or saying let’s discuss when to compare that greatness.

But rather discussing or asking the question if it is joe Scottie vs the field.

For everybody saying not there yet (assuming you don’t skim), I believe Tiger averaged around 4.5 wins a year for his long stretch.

I’m not sure we can say it’s too soon. Less top talent, seems to win in bunches and when he is in the field he is a dominant favorite.
I was going to say no, because when you hear about this "tiger vs the field" it makes him sound like a mythical figure that wins every time he tee's it up. Plays in 30 events in a year, wins half of them and top 10 in the other half sort of then. Then reading this, seeing that it's only 4.5 I change my initial answer to yes, he's young and just tearing up the field.

I think he has 4 wins in him a season for a bit.

This feels a lot like a discussion we had a few years back about a certain kid from Texas when he was hot. He even won a couple majors during that time.

To answer the question right now it certainly seems like it Scottie vs the field but I’m still taking the field.. There is no way he wins yesterday if Xander or Wyndham don’t choke it away. They certainly felt the pressure of what Scottie was doing in front of them however had Wyndhams putt dropped on 18 I think he would have won in a playoff.

And don’t give me all this nonsense about playing through an injury, it clearly wasn’t serious like Tigers knee. He had a sore neck, typical media overreaction.

If he can continue to putt well… I don’t see anyone beating him. Which is wild with the level of competition that is out there

This feels a lot like a discussion we had a few years back about a certain kid from Texas when he was hot. He even won a couple majors during that time.

To answer the question right now it certainly seems like it Scottie vs the field but I’m still taking the field.. There is no way he wins yesterday if Xander or Wyndham don’t choke it away. They certainly felt the pressure of what Scottie was doing in front of them however had Wyndhams putt dropped on 18 I think he would have won in a playoff.

And don’t give me all this nonsense about playing through an injury, it clearly wasn’t serious like Tigers knee. He had a sore neck, typical media overreaction.
To be fair, its not like he shot an even par round and the guys in front shot 80.
He shot 64 in the final round of the Players to take it, while the leaders both shot under par.

Honestly last year it was Scottie, Rahm and occasionally Rory. With Rahm gone I think we can say Scottie is the favorite to win every week he plays, and with the hot putter just watch out. Can't wait for the Masters.

Time will tell as it always does, but I just love how Scottie operates under pressure. 🥶

Compare that to Xander and Wyndham, they started buckling when Scheffler began climbing the leaderboard.

For fairness of discussion though, if that putt drops for Clark, then we might be having a different discussion this morning.

I'll go for the field over Scheffler...for now! :cool:

If he could putt like Tiger, the answer would be a strong yes

To be fair, its not like he shot an even par round and the guys in front shot 80.
He shot 64 in the final round of the Players to take it, while the leaders both shot under par.
He played amazing I'm not saying he didn't, he earned the victory but Xander did what he does on Sundays and while Clark gave some shots back earlier he missed an eagle putt on 16 by an inch and should have had a birdie on 18 (still don't know how that ball stays out) and we could have been talking playoff. Scottie is definitely one of the best players in the world if not the best but I'm still taking the field....for now.

I’d wait until the majors when the fields include some of the LIV guys. Tiger played week in, week out against the best players at his time and consistently dominated. Unfortunately for Scottie, the whole mess in golf now has distorted comparisons. Scottie though is really steam rolling the fields when is putting is on.

I dunno.... with his putting inconsistencies, it seems unlikely that he can lean on his ball striking so heavily forever. I really don't see anyone matching or bettering Tiger's winning percentages any time soon. But, if there was anyone to do it, i guess Scottie would be my pick at the moment.

He played amazing I'm not saying he didn't, he earned the victory but Xander did what he does on Sundays and while Clark gave some shots back earlier he missed an eagle putt on 16 by an inch and should have had a birdie on 18 (still don't know how that ball stays out) and we could have been talking playoff. Scottie is definitely one of the best players in the world if not the best but I'm still taking the field....for now.
Half way through his 3rd round he was sitting at -9 and what, 8 shots back? I mean, the guy kind of went off in the final 1.5 rounds to secure the win.

With that said, Clark going on a charge the last 3 holes was impressive, and I think he would have won the playoff.

Half way through his 3rd round he was sitting at -9 and what, 8 shots back? I mean, the guy kind of went off in the final 1.5 rounds to secure the win.

With that said, Clark going on a charge the last 3 holes was impressive, and I think he would have won the playoff.
As I said he played great and went out and posted a number, I'm not trying to take that away from him. I just feel others choked it away and for the original question I'd play the odds and take the field.

As I said he played great and went out and posted a number, I'm not trying to take that away from him. I just feel others choked it away and for the original question I'd play the odds and take the field.
At the time, I felt that Scottie needed to be -21 to get the win, as I didnt see the guys behind him slowing down.

Clark almost did it.
Xander, just fell off.

At the time, I felt that Scottie needed to be -21 to get the win, as I didnt see the guys behind him slowing down.

Clark almost did it.
Xander, just fell off.
Xander does what Xander does on Sundays. Maybe they felt the pressure of Scottie making a charge I don't know. He earned it like I said I just feel like they blew it.

Back