Scotty Cameron putters

fb3e1f5680413b9c24c150f116a7f477.jpg

Spent some time with the 6STR tonight and now in full contemplation mode...

Out of that entire new release I like this one the best. Absolutely fantastic feeling Potter. Don’t know if I can get behind the busyness of it but it sure put a good roll on the ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very fine steel wool should get the rust off. But the finish isn't going to look anything like new once you remove it.

BUT - BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING... .We need to do a little research. Do you know who VG is? The yellow and red dots suggest it is an old "made for the tour" model. Though they very well could be after market work. The stamps look far too shallow and appear to be the wrong font to have come out of Scotty's studio, but it's worth confirming you don't have something special before you take any sort of abrasive to the putter

Thanks for the reply, I had to go look at it again as I hadn't noticed the VG. No idea who that may be. How would I confirm? Contact SC directly?

Thanks for the reply, I had to go look at it again as I hadn't noticed the VG. No idea who that may be. How would I confirm? Contact SC directly?
They'll tell you to send it in. My guess is it's not worth it, but I'm hoping someone more into collecting the old sticks will get back to me.

Posted by my thumbs.

They'll tell you to send it in. My guess is it's not worth it, but I'm hoping someone more into collecting the old sticks will get back to me.

Posted by my thumbs.
I appreciate the input. It does roll the ball very nicely. I rolled a dozen on my putting mat, sank most of them. I'm thinking of giving it to my daughter who has just gotten into golf over the past year. With the replies here I will have some evidence that it has pedigree.

Can someone school me on this Scotty? It was given to me along with some other clubs. There is a sticker on the shaft that reads "To protect the gun blue finish, dry off with a soft cloth after each use. Apply a light coat of baby oil to provide a protective seal.

What would be the best way to address the surface rust?

Thanks in advance.
0c78746f1766192a6188bb3dc36fa31b.jpg
ea2bce03df511d63973475ab1042a939.jpg
f163f27fafcd2375147fdf94ab72b4ff.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

I’d use Fltiz to try and remove the rust. It doesn’t look like any pitting so that may do the trick. I’d try and avoid using steel wool on it.

The sticker you’re referring to was used for the carbon steel putters but this is a studio design from 2001 - 2005, where I think they stopped using carbon steel and started using a black pearl finish in 2003. So it’s probably a 2001 or 2002. I don’t think the paint fill means anything significant but am not positive on that. Might be a first run or something like that.

If you end up getting the rust off and want to do your best to prevent it from rusting again, you’ll need to wipe it down with electric grade silicone often and avoid using it in wet conditions without keeping it completely dry. While baby oil works too, it will pick up dirt and a lot of other stuff as you use it. The rags Scotty sells do the job but you can also go to dicks and get gun rags for half the price. They won’t pick up dirt and will repel water. Before and after the round usually does the trick. Also, don’t store it any where in extreme cold, heat or humidity. They are higher maintenance than most putters, which is why Scotty stopped using carbon steel lol.

At least from the photos, you can game it now with the rust and be fine. I have a couple carbon steel Scotty’s with a little rust and they are great. But if you want to remove it, I don’t think it will be much of an issue.

I played with a guy today that had a sweet Scotty Newport 2.5, which was cool because its about my favorite Scotty profile. I hit a few putts with it and I can definitely see the appeal, though before now I've never been a big Scotty guy. Newport 2.5 has slid into a back burner ponder position.

I appreciate the input. It does roll the ball very nicely. I rolled a dozen on my putting mat, sank most of them. I'm thinking of giving it to my daughter who has just gotten into golf over the past year. With the replies here I will have some evidence that it has pedigree.

I've heard from 3 people who are far deeper into the rabbit hole than I've ever gone (and I've gone a loooong way.) They all seem to be in agreement that the dots and stamping are a bumper job. Unfortunately this renders the value of the putter far lower than it already would be in its condition. That being said, I think your plan for it is perfect. Clean it up and hand it down. It's a great gamer!

I've heard from 3 people who are far deeper into the rabbit hole than I've ever gone (and I've gone a loooong way.) They all seem to be in agreement that the dots and stamping are a bumper job. Unfortunately this renders the value of the putter far lower than it already would be in its condition. That being said, I think your plan for it is perfect. Clean it up and hand it down. It's a great gamer!
Thank you so much for checking.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

My new shift knob... :D
93264d44108c4940bdbaa616608b8cbc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Haha that is awesome man

Nah. It's for my fastback.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am loving my Phantom X 5. I have Newport 2 2016 and love it but feel more comfortable with mid-mallets (for aiming) than blades and went with the X 5.

The feel is simply amazing. Some people have not liked the new color scheme and while I see their point, I do like it. I felt like it looked a lot better in person.

Spent about an hour on the putting green tonight with my Phantom and dew like I’m finally getting used to it. Distance control is vastly improved and I’m hitting my marks far more often. This is my first center shafted putter and at first I thought I was going to have problems, but so far so good.

Maiden round for the square back 1.5 last night.

Very first putt was 15’ for eagle, drained it. Birdie putt of similar length three holes later fell as well. Off to a good start

A month or so ago I got a 2008 34" SC Studio Select Newport 2 that is in great condition. I generally prefer putters with more standard head weight than this came with (15g weights for a total of 350g, I believe). I tried several aftermarket weights, going up to 30g (380g) for several weeks but that was just too much. Yesterday I put on 25g (370g) weights I got on Amazon and that was perfect for me. I had the best putting results I can remember. I am preaching to the choir but just wanted to post how happy I am with this great putter!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The Phantom was on fire today and saved my rear on multiple occasions. 28 putts on the round with one 20 foot birdie putt and several one putt par saves.

Without a doubt the best round putting I’ve had all season long, and never even looked at a 3 putt. Back out tomorrow morning and looking forward to it with how today went!

Weights, weights, weights.

e936fce597907c2ae17d8ed930750ebb.jpg

2e822ddea14b11fe16325b863e216aca.jpg

Love how easy it is to get my ball rolling on the intended line with my square back 1.5 I made everything today with the exception of a misread on a 4 footer.

Just purchased a used 2014 SC GoLo 3 for $75.00...a steal. I'm the owner of 5 Scotty Putters now, I think I have a problem. lmao

I think I want a Studio Stainless with the GSS insert because... something.

Back