SeeMore SPi Experience

hey guys I just got back from my fitting. It's going to take me a bit to get my write up done plus go through all the video that MudFlap shot. I should have it all up tomorrow morning. Need to send out a big thanks to SeeMore and George for setting this up. It was a great experience, one that I found pretty educational. My putter is officially ordered and I can't wait to share with you guys what I will be rolling in the 2013 Morgan Cup. MudFlap - thanks for tagging along today. I'm going through some pictures and watching the videos and you did a fantastic job. Couldn't have done it without you. Hopefully these videos upload tonight and I will have my full write up tomorrow morning.

Great dean. Take your time. We know it will be a good one.

Will be looking for your writeup, Dean!

I
We decided 37" is the length that works best. After moving back from ball with the new stance the toe of the putter was coming off the ground so we went with 69* for the lie which is 1* flat from SeeMore's standard. I really like the feel of the M series putters and prefer a small mallet. I had a hard time deciding between the OneCS and the M8. Both are gorgeous putters but I decided to stick with the platinum finish I have on my M1 and wanted to try the aluminum insert so I went with the M8.

productimage-picture-m8-121_jpg_607x607_q85_zps167d7733.jpg

productimage-picture-m8-122_jpg_607x607_q85_zps333307ce.jpg

I want to thank SeeMore and Scott Dirck for this opportunity. I have already discussed a return visit to make sure my posture is correct and to work more on the stroke itself. Scott was very enthusiastic and you can tell he really cares about his clients. I am thrilled to have several months to work with my new putter and having Scott's support, I am sure my putting will improve and my scores with go down.

Howzat - What is the difference bewteen the 2? Do they have the same geometry?

I know what putter it is! Ha-ha, but I'll let ddec tell you guys in his write up.

Thanks for letting me tag along and for the little care package, Dean. It was cool to see the fitting/instruction and meet George who is just an all around nice guy.

Look forward to the write up, you have a lot of information to process.

Thats awesome. Can't wait to hear what you ended up with!

hey guys I just got back from my fitting. It's going to take me a bit to get my write up done plus go through all the video that MudFlap shot. I should have it all up tomorrow morning. Need to send out a big thanks to SeeMore and George for setting this up. It was a great experience, one that I found pretty educational. My putter is officially ordered and I can't wait to share with you guys what I will be rolling in the 2013 Morgan Cup. MudFlap - thanks for tagging along today. I'm going through some pictures and watching the videos and you did a fantastic job. Couldn't have done it without you. Hopefully these videos upload tonight and I will have my full write up tomorrow morning.

Sounds like a ton of fun DDEC

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Howzat - loved that write up buddy. The video stills were a great touch and your posture is looking good! Love your choice in putters too. I bet you want to move into that guy's basement lol.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I think the 3 month or maybe sooner in my case check-up is going to be a must. Scott was nice enough to really spend some time with me because he wanted me to feel confident I could get myself back in the right position before he let me go. He also gave me a great tip, because I don't have an Eyeline putting mirror at home, he said an old CD will work just as well. Just put the ball in the center and check that my eyes are inside the ball.

This is awesome. After reading through your experience I took a look at where my eyes were and noticed I was all up on the ball too. It really did feel like I was able to unbunch myself when I got my eyes inside the ball. Byproduct of your fitting was that I made some good practice putts last night. Score!

Looking forward to it, ddec!

Howzat - What is the difference bewteen the 2? Do they have the same geometry?

They are very similar but not quite the same. The insert and finish are the main differences but the geometry if very similar. Both can be ordered at 335g, which I prefer. Here are some shots of the OneCS I rolled during the fitting:
DSC04577_zps75d8eee4.jpg

DSC04578_zpscbe32499.jpg

DSC04579_zpsda3260af.jpg

Here is a topline shot J4U took for me of the m8:

IMAG1178.jpg

Off topic, but J4U is awesome.

Howzat - loved that write up buddy. The video stills were a great touch and your posture is looking good! Love your choice in putters too. I bet you want to move into that guy's basement lol.

This is awesome. After reading through your experience I took a look at where my eyes were and noticed I was all up on the ball too. It really did feel like I was able to unbunch myself when I got my eyes inside the ball. Byproduct of your fitting was that I made some good practice putts last night. Score!

Looking forward to it, ddec!

Glad it was helpful Hawk. I too thought my eyes were well inside the ball before my fitting and found it very hard to back away from the ball. It will take some time to work the muscle memory. I think having the putter flatter than standard will help that. At my height I never thought I would be fit for a flatter lie but that is why fitting is so important.

Glad it was helpful Hawk. I too thought my eyes were well inside the ball before my fitting and found it very hard to back away from the ball. It will take some time to work the muscle memory. I think having the putter flatter than standard will help that. At my height I never thought I would be fit for a flatter lie but that is why fitting is so important.

That's another thing I took away from your summary. After backing up a little it felt like the toe of my putter was a little high.

That's another thing I took away from your summary. After backing up a little it felt like the toe of my putter was a little high.

I tried to adjust with my hands but then I end up manipulating the swing, which defeats the purpose.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I think the 3 month or maybe sooner in my case check-up is going to be a must. Scott was nice enough to really spend some time with me because he wanted me to feel confident I could get myself back in the right position before he let me go. He also gave me a great tip, because I don't have an Eyeline putting mirror at home, he said an old CD will work just as well. Just put the ball in the center and check that my eyes are inside the ball.

i've heard of this and never tried it. might have to give it go this weekend just for S&G's.

Paging Captain Dean, where you at man? I can't wait to hear what you chose!

Can't wait to read this bro!

Dean's SPi Fitting

Dean's SPi Fitting

Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to an SPi fitting location and get fit for my 2013 Morgan Cup putter. The fitter I went to was George Connor and he is located at Gillette Ridge Golf Course in Bloomfield, CT. George has been a SeeMore putting instructor for 2 years now. Rob, or MudFlap as you probably know him, took the journey with me and was able to snap some pictures and take the videos that you will see throughout this post.

When we walked in to the clubhouse at Gillette Ridge, George was just finishing up lessons with another student. So we sat and watching this young kid stripe balls for 5 minutes before it was go time. I took an original FGP putter and just started to roll putts on the putting platform. Even though I was just warming up, my putting was a little inconsistent. Out of the first batch of balls I missed probably 3 or 4. That would soon change.

The first thing George wanted to check for me was my aim. Using a combination of tools like the SeeMore Triangulator, a metal yardstick, and a laser pointer he was able to show me where I was aiming. Apparently I aim pretty consistently which is good. A strong majority of my putts were lined up inside the cup. That was all with the FGP. We then tested the same with a Si3 mid mallet style putter, the results were practically spot on as they were with the FGP. George explained how different putter shapes aide people with their aim and that they tend to fit players to a shape based on how they aim. All of that can be heard in this video.
[video=youtube;QtFSAPQCO-o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtFSAPQCO-o[/video]
DSCN0183_zps484945ff.jpg

After talking about proper aim we moved on to posture and grip. If you’ve been following the forum you’ve heard about the SPi putting philosophy before. Standing a little taller, for me a little closer to the ball, and holding the putter up higher. Holding the putter up a little higher was kind of uncomfortable in the early going. I felt like I was holding the putter similar to Steve Stricker. I could have sworn that the heel of the putter was off the ground, but both George and Rob confirmed that it just wasn’t the case. The putter lay completely flat and ready to roll. Also by raising the putter up a touch it moved my eyes closer to the ball. George did not want to see my eyes over the top of the ball, but rather just about an inch inside of it.

My putter grip normally isn’t all that different from my normal grip, except I do a reverse overlap. Showing me how the putter felt when I raised it up with my normal grip, vs the grip he was about to show me, I could feel a little difference in the weight. The big change was getting the palm and the pad of my left(top) hand more on the flat part of the handle. By doing this and holding it more upright my arms and the shaft would be 1 straight line. Just like with the posture I was little fidgety with that but it got more comfortable as the session went on.

DSCN0187_zps999b6c00.jpg

So now that we have me standing a little taller, closer to the ball, and with a modified grip it was time to really analyze the putting stroke. George hooked some contraption on to the shaft of the putter I using to take some data, there was also a camera to the side of paltform. After rolling about 7 or 8 putts we looked at the PC to see what the results were. My aim is consistent within 1 degree left of center which he said was very good. The ball came off the putter face pretty much the same each time, hitting it a touch to the right, which made sense to me. The one thing that stood out was that I tend to come across the ball at impact. So my stroke was more outside to in with the flatstick(sounds like my normal swing). To mitigate that we used 2 things, putting arc training aid and the other was just a marker. First I was hitting putts with the putting arc as I tried to engrain that inside to straight to inside motion. With the marker about 12 inches behind the ball I needed to get the putter up off the ground and over the marker. Both of those aids worked well specifically when I was taking putts with my right hand only. I could feel the weight of the putter then and it made for a much smoother stroke.

[video=youtube;a6c90-IgbXQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6c90-IgbXQ[/video]

markerdrill_zps306ab81e.jpg

A final question that I had was an area of my putting that I thought needed to be addressed. Usually I am very confident inside of 10-15 feet. However it’s my lag putting that I tend to struggle with. With that we talked about putter weight. How the proper weight of my putter could aid me depending on green speeds.

With that came time to select a putter. I’ve been more of a bigger blade to mid mallet guy in the past few years. While I tried and rolled the DB4 and the FGP at times during my fitting, they just didn’t really do it for me. So when the time came to submit my order I was given 3 things that I needed to choose. Headcover, grip, and of course putter head. Without further delay, here is what I will be rolling in the 2013 Morgan Cup.

Spoiler
Headcover
Spoiler
productimage-picture-tartan-1012-headcover-magnetic-closure-722_jpg_607x607_q85.jpg
Grip
Spoiler
productimage-picture-feel-tec-green-grip-610_jpg_607x607_q85.jpg
Putter
Spoiler
m9
productimage-picture-m9-m9w-842_jpg_607x607_q85.jpg

George gave me a small list of things to work on over the next few weeks. We are planning on getting back together once the good weather is here to stay and we can work outside. Then we will work on some lag putting, green reading, and go over everything that we did yesterday. I can’t thank him enough, yesterday was eye opening. I feel like I am on the path to becoming a better putter which will hopefully lead to better scores and more enjoyable golf.

20130315_105732_zps55c32680.jpg

I'll have to check out your videos later, but I loved the write up, ddec. M9 is a strong choice and seems to fit exactly the shape you were talking about earlier. I'm glad you came away with a positive feeling about it buddy. Good luck with your next lesson!

I'll have to check out your videos later, but I loved the write up, ddec. M9 is a strong choice and seems to fit exactly the shape you were talking about earlier. I'm glad you came away with a positive feeling about it buddy. Good luck with your next lesson!

thanks man. It sure was an eye opener that's for sure. I'm overly excited to get that m9 in hand.

Great write up dean awesome job M9 is a solid choice and sure is sweet looking

Amphibians can tapatalk!

Nice write up dean. Reading up on these fitting experiences makes me want to experience one first hand. Super in depth and exciting to see the tangible changes right off the bat.

Back