CONTEST Share Your Tips Sponsored by Golf Pride

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of talk about re-gripping as of late, so we went to the grip company that supplies most on tour and asked to do a fun little campaign and promotion for THPers.

THP-social-headers_1200x400-v1-XL.jpg

SHARE YOUR HOME RE-GRIPPING TIPS
There's never been a better time to perfect your at-home re-gripping setup and skills. Do you have a creative way to install your grips at home? Help your fellow THPers with tips and tricks to install grips at home!

Golf Pride will reward 3 winners who offer the best (or most creative) grip tips & hacks with a free set of 13 Golf Pride grips + 1 putter grip of their choosing. Golf Pride and THP will select winners on April 30. Open to North America only.

RULES
You can enter as many times as you want, but one tip per post
You must post entry in the thread
Contest open until 4/29 at 11:59pm ET

HOW TO ENTER
Post your at home grip installation tips and tricks in this thread.
It can be as simple as how you install a grip or a simple tip that helps you.
If you don't have tips and tricks, you can gain entry by asking a specific re-gripping question.
Also post your favorite Golf Pride Grips and Putter Grip

Last edited:
Tip #1 Solvent is cheap, use more than you think you'd need, and then double it.

Edit: Reading comprehension fail..

Favorite Grip is the MCC +4 align

Last edited:
Buy high quality grip tape
Stays more secure and easier to work with
Favorite grip: MCC +4 Align

Use mineral spirits instead of grip solvent. It is cheaper, more readily available locally and seems to dry faster.
Favorite grips: Tour Velvet Cord and Pro Only Red Star

Put a golf tee in the hole in the grip butt cap when sliding the new grip on the club. It traps the air in and makes the grip slide on easier.

Fill a drink bottle with the nipple top with your solvent, Goes in the grip easier.....then pour from the grip to the shaft

Favorite is the Golf Pride MCC +4 and Tour SNSR Contour8FE284C6-1170-4CBA-B26D-87D3F28A2E54.jpeg

Last edited:
Getting the remains of the old grip tape off the club is the part of the work that takes the longest and is most frustrating to me.

All the helpful YouTube vids about how easy regripping is seem to always fast-forward through this part :)

I use heavy duty pot scrubbers that you can buy in a grocery store. They (somewhat surprisingly) don't do any damage to the shafts.

Wear good gloves too because this can beat up your hands pretty well.

GP Tour Velvet (midsize) for me all the way.

KH

When installing things like align grips, use something you know is straight, like a coat hanger, for visual reference purposes

Use the leading edge as another visual when installing just so you can make sure you get the logo lined up the way you want it, if you're a logo up kinda person.

Favorite grips: NDMC with align, Tour Classic putter grip

use a tee in the butt of the grip so when you pour solvent in the grip, you can just cover the shaft end and shake, great coverage and you should already have tees....

P.S. take the tee out before you try to put the grip on.....

Favorite is the Golf Pride MCC +4 and Tour SNSR Contour

Last edited:
When actually putting on the grips, complete one entire installation (start to finish) prior to moving to the next club. It is easier to align the grip properly when the solvent is still very wet than it is when it starts to dry.

Whenever I regrip my clubs with the GolfPride MCC Align Plus 4 grips, I always use a liberal amount of grip solvent on each grip. When in doubt, don't skip on the amount of solvent you use. A tip that I've even seen from the great @DannyLe at UST Mamiya use as well.
Use a liberal amount on the grip tape, spray a hefty amount inside the grip, allow the excess to flow out of the hole in the end of the grip onto the grip tape & the grip should slide on with ease. Then align the grip with the convenient lines or small notches imprinted on the grip & ensure the grip is "seated" to the end of the shaft. Allow to dry. Done & move onto the next one.
MCC_ALIGN.jpg

My favorite putter grip is the Tour SNSR Contour. It just fits so comfortable in my hands

MCC_ALIGN_PUTTERjpg.jpg

Last edited:
One beer prior to beginning procedure.
One beer after 6 grips.
One beer after completion.

Tour wrap microsuede
Snsr contour pro or green star

Last edited:
invest ina decent grip station with the pan that has a drain. put the hose back in the bottle and reuse excess solvent....as long as your pan is clean anyway...solvent doesn't go bad being poured over the shaft, why waste it...

Favorite is the Golf Pride MCC +4 and Tour SNSR Contour7A976A89-0850-47F3-9B6A-E5BAB61AD37C.jpeg

Last edited:
Tip #1

Play a game of Edward GrippyHands before installing to get in the right mindset.

2A6490A9-0583-4C3A-92E1-3FA75644562E.gif

Put a tee in the grip hole on the butt end. Fill the grip at least 1/2 full and plug the top with a gloved hand. Switch that around and then use that solvent to coat the grip tape. Then slide on the grip.

My favorite type of grip is the Golf Pride CP2 Wrap and Pro and for putters I like the Tour SNSR Blue

Last edited:
I have no tips or tricks, but thankfully I have my backup set of GP grips ready to go on when it comes time.

Good luck everyone!

I have no tips or tricks, but thankfully I have my backup set of GP grips ready to go on when it comes time.

Good luck everyone!

You can still enter.
See the details in the first post.

Guys make sure you are including ALL info in your post.

Entry:

I put some masking tape around the shaft just below the old grip before removing the grip, and use a sharpie to mark where the alignment mark on the grip is. This gives me a "target" for aligning the new grip during installation.

Favorite Swing Grip: GP MCC +4 Midsize
Putter Grip: GP TOUR SNSR Straight

Last edited:
Put a long enough piece of grip tape on the shaft so it reaches the bottom of the installed grip. If you only go down about 3/4 of the grip length, you could run the risk of the bottom of the grips snagging on the bag when pulling the clubs from your bag and tearing at the bottom of the grip. Tape down the full length will alleviate the play in the bottom of the grip.

Do not Skimp on the tape, Get GOOD double sided grip tape....

Favorite is the Golf Pride MCC +4 and Tour SNSR Contour

Guys make sure you are including ALL info in your post.
Honest question ..... Do you have to post your favorite grips in each post? Multiple posts with the same favorite grips? Or can it just be once?

Honest question ..... Do you have to post your favorite grips in each post? Multiple posts with the same favorite grips? Or can it just be once?

Just once is fine of course.

Be sure to check that the grip is aligned properly. Favorite swing grip is the MCC Plus 4. Putter grip is the Tour SNSR Contour.

Back