Should Metal Spikes Make a Comeback?

I don't miss them, so I would vote no.

Can't really comment. Never played in metal spikes actually, but I did wear them in baseball for a while. When I was playing in park league I had a set of turf cleats and my metal spikes for grass. I developed foot pain in the metal so I switched to molded and then eventually to wearing no spikes at all. All of our turf fields here have signs specifically prohibiting metal spikes. The question of damage with soft spikes vis a vis metal spikes makes me think of the senior hockey players in an over 60 league I used to help out with. There would be ruts in the ice an inch deep from some of them!

The first pair of golf shoes I had, a pair of FJ DryJoys had soft spikes and despite being comfortable sitting around, also caused me some foot and ankle pain when walking. I switched to spikeless for a long time, sacrificing some traction in wet weather for comfort. I typically don't wind up playing in much crap anyway. When FJ came out with the Hyperflex boa, I switched back to the spikes and love them. Feet don't hurt with them. Not sure if it's the shoe or the newer tech.

That's a hard no from me.
It's so nice now to throw on one pair of shoes while heading to the course and still be able to wear them afterwards in the clubhouse or grocery store on the way home. Heck I've even stopped by a restaurant on the way home and you don't feel out of place with most of the styles of spikeless I wear now.
Them making a comeback wouldnt force someone to wear them.

I would vote no because I always felt they hurt my feet, and I didn't like walking on them on a cart path or anywhere outside of grass.

We don’t need metal spikes. Or persimmon woods. Or balata balls. Or weaker lofts.

I wish, that noise and that extra stability would be awesome.

They do make a metal spike, I just know not to bother since any course would know pretty quickly what you were wearing.

We don’t need metal spikes. Or persimmon woods. Or balata balls. Or weaker lofts.
What if you believed that soft spikes cause more damage to greens than metal spikes?

What if you believed that soft spikes cause more damage to greens than metal spikes?
I don’t believe soft spikes do more damage overall than metal spikes. Maybe to the greens, but not to the rest of the property.

No way, the foot dragging marks on the greens would be way worse.

No way, the foot dragging marks on the greens would be way worse.
I dont believe that with how many prongs are on many soft spikes right now.

I dont believe that with how many prongs are on many soft spikes right now.
I know that not only do Adidas squeak, but are a bad green scraper. Puma’s system doesn’t do it as bad. Maybe you are right.

I am also a fan of wearing my spikeless golf shoes right from my house to the course and not having to change when I get there. Metal spikes don't allow that very well.

Nay

I am also a fan of wearing my spikeless golf shoes right from my house to the course and not having to change when I get there. Metal spikes don't allow that very well.
Metal spikes, with their hard leather soles, aren't as comfortable to walk in either.

I can see course conditions, where metal spikes would be far more beneficial than soft spike or ripple sole ….
Wet turf or sodden ground .. the extra depth would give you more secure footing.

Aside from that … the sound , of spike on hardened surface - concrete or bitumen .. you know what it is , and you know what the purpose is ….
Off to the first !!!

Also , it’s not a one way street that
“ metal spikes damage greens “

Soft soled shoes also “burn the green”
As the edge of shoe etc and friction of movement across grass pulls at it .

I never played golf regularly when metal spikes were allowable nor have I owned/played in a pair so really don’t know any difference. I recallm hearing them on asphalt when pros walk on cart paths, etc.and hearing about how they damage greens.

Anyway I don’t have anything to bring to this subject other than they were banned for a reason so it must have been justified. Similar to the ball rollback decision and it’s process 😜.

I loved metal spikes. I dont swing nearly as fast as I used to so I dont really miss them unless its really soft out. You young bombers would love the old metals.

Yes. They are great shoes for walking around outside when the sidewalks are icy.

For the weekend folks, absolutely not. A lot of the Pros haven't moved away from Metal Spikes, either. I think Tiger is one. They'll do the ads for the various shoes, soft spiked, or spikeless. But will put the metal spikes in for the Tournament. This last weekend as they were covering The AMEX, as they were walking off the tee or whatever, there was the UNMISTAKEABLE sound of metal spikes on concrete.

I personally don’t see a need but don’t see a reason not to have the option. I don’t agree with the damage part to the course being worse. Plus if all varieties are available I doubt everyone would be wearing them so the damage convo probably wouldn’t matter much imo

Back