Should You Consider a Putter Fitting?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
One positive thing that has come from the crazy times amidst our world’s battles with COVID is that more people are either being introduced to, or coming back to, this beloved game of ours. Within that has also been some interesting trends to watch. Yes, sales are through the roof right now and that has created a whole litany of supply issues (which we discussed here), but it has also lead to a surge in fitting.

Continue reading...

Loved the article @Jman As Usual very well done. I had a putter fitting at Club Champion about 4 years ago. While I found it very informative one thing that was not talked about was putter length. With me being on the shorter side it was something that I was curious about. When I brought it up during the fitting it was pretty much glossed over. With that said I did get a lot of information out of my fitting and it is something everyone should consider

Nice article @Jman. I agree - I’d love to get a putter fitting for all the reasons you mentioned.

Nice article. I would love to go for a putter fitting as I could try a number of different ones and get feedback on my stroke.

Well done. Putter fittings are way undervalued. Most used club in the bag so golfers should definitely get one.

Great article @Jman . I can absolutely see the value in a putter fitting, stopping miss hits saves strokes and gets away from that dreaded 3 putt scenario.

Well done. Putter fittings are way undervalued. Most used club in the bag so golfers should definitely get one.
The three SAMlab putter fittings I've done or witnessed have all been a complete waste of money imo. Might be a coincidence, but if you aren't having any specific concerns, I would not recommend it.

Last edited:

I have had about a handful done now and each time been really impressed with the amount of info I am seeing and how accurate the Sam Putt Lab is. Each one confirmed how loft and lie have impacted the roll I am seeing and how a couple of simple tweaks led to more consistency.

When I had my Edel Putter fitting, it dove into alignment that was fascinating with the use of lasers, which we have a video on as well.

I have been adjusting lie angle on my putters for a while now. I generally use a double bend shaft and the bend for adjustment is easily made at home for that type of setup. Getting that right is tremendously helpful.

The three putter fittings I've done or witnessed have all been a complete waste of money imo. Might be a coincidence, but if you aren't having any specific concerns, I would not recommend it.
That’s a shame, as the three I’ve done have all been incredibly insightful as to what is happening in the stroke and how that impacts putting consistency, as well as what type of putter would be optimal for my stroke or how to make the current putter more optimal.

A putter fitting at a proper location is a game changer.

Thanks for the article. Well written. I've had at least 5 SAM fittings over 20 yrs. My issue was usually face angle at impact. I needed better tempo and rhythm to help correct it - the stroke was a little slow or hesitant, like I was thinking during the stroke.:oops: No doubt I was. It's what I do. But over the last month, I've worked on a quicker tempo - lighter grip in the fingers, less thought frees up the stroke, but ultimately, I found using a lighter putter head really helped.

I also have a tendency to get nervous during the stroke and for me, the shoulder rock (or other stroke) was not working with a heavy headed putter (350+g). A machine did not say, "Hey, you need a lighter putter head at 34.5-35 inches and a lighter grip on the putter to increase tempo, or "maybe we need to go to a more athletic stroke. That shoulder rock ain't rocking for you." That's where the human element and experience comes in to interpret what the data is telling them.

In sum, get fit. A machine can tell you what is occurring with data. We need a human to diagnose the cause.

Last edited:
Thanks for the article. Well written. I've had at least 5 SAM fittings over 20 yrs. My issue was usually face angle at impact. I needed better tempo and rhythm to help correct it - the stroke was a little slow or hesitant, like I was thinking during the stroke.:oops: No doubt I was. It's what I do. But over the last month, I've worked on a quicker tempo - lighter grip in the fingers, less thought frees up the stroke, but ultimately, I found using a lighter putter head really helped.

I also have a tendency to get nervous during the stroke and for me, the shoulder rock (or other stroke) was not working with a heavy headed putter (350+g). A machine did not say, "Hey, you need a lighter putter head at 34.5-35 inches and a lighter grip on the putter to increase tempo, or "maybe we need to go to a more athletic stroke. That shoulder rock ain't rocking for you" That's where the human element and experience comes in to interpret what the data is telling them.

In sum, get fit. A machine can tell you what is occurring with data. We need a human to diagnose the cause.
This was a big emphasis I tried to put in the CC putter fitting i documented for a different homepage article. The SAM lab is amazing and worth its weight in gold, but so too is the fitter running it. When combined? It would be impossible for someone with a willingness to listen to find more consistency or even a better outer setup to allow them to find more.

The thought of a putter fitting at Club Champion has entered my mind. The fact that the nearest Club Champion is a couple hours from me and not necessarily an easy drive has led me to not consider actually doing one.

Timely topic and great reminder for all, @Jman. Patrick Cantlay has just shown everyone how the putter can be the most valuable club in the bag.

As others have noted, a proper fitting session *with a knowledgeable fitter* could be a game changer for many players.

It’s interesting how many of us acknowledge the benefit of a proper fitting with drivers and irons but then neglect to do so for the most used club in the bag.

Timely topic and great reminder for all, @Jman. Patrick Cantlay has just shown everyone how the putter can be the most valuable club in the bag.

As others have noted, a proper fitting session *with a knowledgeable fitter* could be a game changer for many players.

It’s interesting how many of us acknowledge the benefit of a proper fitting with drivers and irons but then neglect to do so for the most used club in the bag.
It blows my mind honestly. I’m always amazed at the lengths one will go to to get their irons and driver just right, but just grab a stock length and lie putter off a shelf and throw all that care to the wind.

I’ve done a putter fitting on a Sam putt a few years ago. I loved the amount of data from it, but it’s only as useful as the fitter explaining it. I don’t know if they can be used outside (I’ve never seen one used outside) but it would make way more sense to me to be using one on a real green with a real breaking putt opposed to a 6ft straight in putt 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve done a putter fitting on a Sam putt a few years ago. I loved the amount of data from it, but it’s only as useful as the fitter explaining it. I don’t know if they can be used outside (I’ve never seen one used outside) but it would make way more sense to me to be using one on a real green with a real breaking putt opposed to a 6ft straight in putt 🤷🏻‍♂️

Out of curiosity, why would the break change your stroke? Alignment would change of course. I am WAY on the other side of this one as the elimination of any variables should be the way to go.

I'd think you'd want it both ways. Use a SAM, as @JB said, to eliminate variables.

If putts are not falling after the SAM analysis, you may want a separate putting lesson with an instructor to review your routine, analyze break, and to see if you are doing something outside that may be inhibiting your ability to make more putts.

Everyone who plays golf regularly should consider a putter fitting.

I consider it all of the time but never follow through with it.

The three SAMlab putter fittings I've done or witnessed have all been a complete waste of money imo. Might be a coincidence, but if you aren't having any specific concerns, I would not recommend it.
I’m sort of where you are on this. It’s been several years since I last did it, but I’ve done it three times at Club Champion and each time I was told my putter was good for me, but they tweaked loft, lie, or both. I don’t feel like it amounted to lower scores though. Maybe it’s time for me to try again.

I definitely should get a putter fitting. After PING telling me in just a few strokes out at the desert headquarters that I needed a putter with 1* of loft. :eek: I have yet to take their advice & get an actual fitting done. :rolleyes:

I can't really understand how a putter fitting would be anything less than HIGHLY educational, especially on something like SAM.

You see exactly how you stroke.
You see what dynamic loft your putter has.
You see what the face is doing at setup.
You see what the face is doing at impact.
You see how the ball leaves the head.
You see where you make contact on the face.

All of these things can be model (and even alignment aid) specific. All of these things can support steering in the direction of shape, toe hang, alignment option, weight, and length to put you into the best possible head for success.

What I think people tend to do, is look at a putter fitting more like a putting lesson. If you get into a situation where your fitter is tweaking you more than the putter, you would do well to stop them and let them know your stroke isn't changing, the putter needs to.

I have done a putter fitting and I love all the information that is available from a well done fitting. It gave me not just feedback on what putter would fit me best, but it allowed me to see what I needed to work on in terms of my stroke and where I needed improvement.

My lone fitting experience was shall we say disappointing. I think the problem is how its presented... $100 for an hour. I got 25 mins and felt like it was a money grab, sure I got the data but that was it and I was left wanting more. I think there is an expectation when we hear the word FITTING that we are going to get an experience like a club fitting where we are trying different clubs, shafts, etc and this isn't that, not even close.

Back