Show Us Your Swing

I went an entire year without recording a swing before today. I took some video a couple weeks ago for the sole purpose of recording ball flight, but today was to see what was going on with head movement (fail), full shoulder turn (fail), weight shift (ok), shaft lean (ok) and balance (ok). Lots of fails and very cringe-worthy. Unfortunately, this about as good as it gets. The last time I recorded video on the course it was even worse. The one positive was my tempo. If I can maintain that throughout a round of golf, I can hold my nose knowing the rest of it is going on.
View attachment IMG_0971_Trim_Slomo_Trim.mp4

I went an entire year without recording a swing before today. I took some video a couple weeks ago for the sole purpose of recording ball flight, but today was to see what was going on with head movement (fail), full shoulder turn (fail), weight shift (ok), shaft lean (ok) and balance (ok). Lots of fails and very cringe-worthy. Unfortunately, this about as good as it gets. The last time I recorded video on the course it was even worse. The one positive was my tempo. If I can maintain that throughout a round of golf, I can hold my nose knowing the rest of it is going on.
View attachment 8981181

Not too bad, I'd like to see you start tall, and then get lower. Also, where you start the club at SetUp, is a perfect impact position. Looks like things start to break down which is likely due to what I mentioned above. Not difficult things to change if you're interested. And all those layers can't be helping matters. 🥶

Here's one from a few minutes ago. A laser 7 iron right at the pin.

View attachment 8982385
Not Bad.

Your Pivot Back is still a little "Slidie", and if you learned to turn a touch better [if the Pivot (hips) worked back and around a bit more] then everything I say next will be easier...

The Pivot Down still has a slide left that comes with a tilt back to shallow it out, and I think (from this face on view) that it's because your chest opens up early and that pitches the club steep, so you tilt back to shallow it out. Most of this is driven by that slide then post up move into your left side.

• Appreciation
Reactions: KEV
I have some s@&?! videos I can share but I don’t think anyone wants to see those 😂

Here’s my current one. Still some areas to improve

I thought why is Lions posting a video of a homeless guy swinging a golf club? Then realized it was Lions. :ROFLMAO:

I thought why is Lions posting a video of a homeless guy swinging a golf club? Then realized it was Lions. :ROFLMAO:

It's hard to top the all sweats look. That's my work attire these days in 2020.

Here’s my current one. Still some areas to improve

View attachment 8984401
That's lookin solid my man 💪. The swing of a single digit player. Here's the laundry list...work on these individually over time, not all at once. 😂

Some room for improvement...I'd like to see you stand a bit taller, try to keep that right arm straighter for longer going back, and get a better turn...not more arm depth, but better turn. When you start down (pivot looks real close), feel like your right butt cheek stays on a wall behind you for longer, while getting your left side low...that will stop your hips from spinning out and the slide left you have. It should feel way more centered. This used to be my move, which only got me so far. 🤷‍♂️

Then, try to keep your hands more passive...you've got a little pull down with the hands that gets your right arm stuck with an open face. Your only option is to throw the club, release your angles, and stand up a little.

Main point is, everything is there to make some changes fairly simply if you put in the work...but man, if you did, would be big deal. You're losing some speed and probably get blocks and hooks with this move, but if you're comfortable and don't want to change anything, that's cool too. 👍

And the outfit is just fine by me 👊, do what's comfortable for you. 😎

That's lookin solid my man 💪. The swing of a single digit player. Here's the laundry list...work on these individually over time, not all at once. 😂

Some room for improvement...I'd like to see you stand a bit taller, try to keep that right arm straighter for longer going back, and get a better turn...not more arm depth, but better turn. When you start down (pivot looks real close), feel like your right butt cheek stays on a wall behind you for longer, while getting your left side low...that will stop your hips from spinning out and the slide left you have. It should feel way more centered. This used to be my move, which only got me so far. 🤷‍♂️

Then, try to keep your hands more passive...you've got a little pull down with the hands that gets your right arm stuck with an open face. Your only option is to throw the club, release your angles, and stand up a little.

Main point is, everything is there to make some changes fairly simply if you put in the work...but man, if you did, would be big deal. You're losing some speed and probably get blocks and hooks with this move, but if you're comfortable and don't want to change anything, that's cool too. 👍

And the outfit is just fine by me 👊, do what's comfortable for you. 😎

Thanks for the feedback. You definitely nailed quite a few things I need to work on, especially keeping my butt on the wall. That is one I struggle with while still feeling like I am transferring my weight well to the front foot.

Thanks for the feedback. You definitely nailed quite a few things I need to work on, especially keeping my butt on the wall. That is one I struggle with while still feeling like I am transferring my weight well to the front foot.
Feel more centered and that your right leg at the very beginning goes clockwise...we have way more details in our program. 😉

I know I have lots of work to do but, here is a recent 9 iron swing on the 17th hole par 3 at Orange County National Panther Lakes this past week.

View attachment 8986288

Cool hole, looks intimidating as heck! You hit the green 💪 so that's solid

Some quick thoughts:
  • SetUp
    • Your feet are aiming waaaaay right (mostly right foot is pulled way back)
    • Tough to tell, but I believe you're on your heels a bit and too bent over, which is restricting your turn.
  • Backswing
    • You are getting very little turn
    • Your arms are too deep relative to the little turn you're getting which gets the right humorous slighly stuck
  • Downswing
    • You're coming down with an open face and
    • Then you have to throw your angles away to square it up
    • Looks like you threw a little much which shut down the face too much, resulting in this little pull
    • The pull down, throw causes the stand up as well.
A lot of these are fixable pretty simply, but when you fix the first thing (SetUp), you're going to have to fix everything else along the way. Not difficult at all as long as you have the right guidance. 😉

Cool hole, looks intimidating as heck! You hit the green 💪 so that's solid

Some quick thoughts:
  • SetUp
    • Your feet are aiming waaaaay right (mostly right foot is pulled way back)
    • Tough to tell, but I believe you're on your heels a bit and too bent over, which is restricting your turn.
  • Backswing
    • You are getting very little turn
    • Your arms are too deep relative to the little turn you're getting which gets the right humorous slighly stuck
  • Downswing
    • You're coming down with an open face and
    • Then you have to throw your angles away to square it up
    • Looks like you threw a little much which shut down the face too much, resulting in this little pull
    • The pull down, throw causes the stand up as well.
A lot of these are fixable pretty simply, but when you fix the first thing (SetUp), you're going to have to fix everything else along the way. Not difficult at all as long as you have the right guidance. 😉
Thanks for the feedback. Very likely I was way overcompensating for the wind as it was very gusty that day. :ROFLMAO:

Recorded my swing tonight. It’s actually the first time I’ve ever seen myself swinging a golf club.

Totally self-taught so I’m sure there’s all kinds of things wrong with my swing.

View attachment 8990313

No bad, tough angle to see from...Can't really see the SetUP (would prefer DL view) - When you film your swing, get one from Down the Line and Face On

Looks like you have a little stand up early release and you keep your head down too long. Would love to see a tighter pivot back (stay centered), and then look down range sooner to get that chest opening up and a better rotation through the ball.

No bad, tough angle to see from...Can't really see the SetUP (would prefer DL view) - When you film your swing, get one from Down the Line and Face On

Looks like you have a little stand up early release and you keep your head down too long. Would love to see a tighter pivot back (stay centered), and then look down range sooner to get that chest opening up and a better rotation through the ball.

Thanks. My space is definitely not setup well for filming at the moment.

I think I hold my head down so long because I used to have a really bad habit of looking up too soon and topping the ball. I spent a lot of time forcing my head to stay down, and it sounds like I’ve over-corrected.

Recorded current state of swing today. At 50 I can’t turn like I used to and it is harder to work underneath. Still fighting being a little flat going back. Plenty to work on, especially flexibility, but it has been fun getting back into the game!

View attachment 8994664

View attachment 8994663

i like this swing a lot! i love how quiet and stable your lower body is in the backswing. i don't think your backswing is crazy flat. the only thing i see is maybe you could be a little more open at impact, then you wouldn't have to aggressively rotate the face closed; your body would be squaring the face for you. really nice swing, man!

Thanks McLovin, I'd definitely like to have the face stay open or rotate less through the hitting zone. I've been working on hitting a fade more as a way to decrease the face rotating, but I should think about a better approach. Everything's fine when my timing is on, but the initial ball flight direction can get off when not, probably due to the face rotation you noticed.

it's a big struggle for me too. my path isn't too bad, but the face can get too shut. getting more open is hard, and it's not something my instructor and i are actively working on yet. but i could see trying to add that into our work at some point, because it's a big part of the modern swing and keeping the hands out of impact.

Reactions: mig
Recorded current state of swing today. At 50 I can’t turn like I used to and it is harder to work underneath. Still fighting being a little flat going back. Plenty to work on, especially flexibility, but it has been fun getting back into the game!

View attachment 8994664

View attachment 8994663
Looks solid...the swing of a good player.

Face is open coming down with a little pull on the ole handle. This causes you to stand up and then release it with your hands. This is your squaring mechanism. If you want to have more face control, see 👇

As @McLovin mentioned using your body more help with face control. I would say to do that try to get the face more shut at P6 and do that by adding some left Wrist flexion. That will force you to turn more from P6 through the shot or you’ll straight pull it.

Snuck back out to the range, worked on squaring it up with body more while holding back the release (what it felt like to me). Better. Front arm was more solid out front on the follow through. Got my homework for the next few months. Thanks McLovin!
Your swing is very similar to what my swing was at about the same age. I had the same issues as you with the pivot which required a flip release. At the time I was in the dark about release issues so I was completely unaware that I was flipping.
My issues began when I reached my 60's when I was exposed to a rotational swing and a hold-off release - the exact opposite to my body stall and flip.
It took me several years of solid work to understand and master the rotational pivot action and say goodbye to the flip.
My advice to you is be carefully what you change in your current swing, given that your pivot and your release pattern are a match.The videos seem to bear this out. If your swing becomes more rotational it will have adverse consequences on your normal release pattern - they may no longer match up.

Reactions: mig
Back