Srixon Z 745 Irons Preview

I just bought a set of 745s. I get them on Friday. I will be putting them head-to-head against my 714 AP2s. Winner stays in the bag. Loser heads to the marketplace. (My wife may have had something to do with the loser-marketplace decision...)
Hahaha I look forward to the results, man. Same shafts?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hahaha I look forward to the results, man. Same shafts?

Same shafts - S300. Hopefully, I can do a comparison thread that will help THPers out when comparing the two.

Same shafts - S300. Hopefully, I can do a comparison thread that will help THPers out when comparing the two.
I'll be very intrigued to read that, because on paper they should be incredibly similar.

Need Advice on Z 745 Irons

Need Advice on Z 745 Irons

I went to a golf shop yesterday looking for the Z 545s, but they only had the Z 745s. I hit couple of dozen balls with the 7 iron on the simulator. It was a thing of beauty and didn't seem that hard to hit. I could fade it or draw it and had consistent yardage with it. I have never had anything but GI clubs, so I am wondering what I would be giving up to play the 745s? I feel like I either hit the ball well or have a miss that is so spectacular that no club could help me. Can anyone give me some guidance on this?

Also, I have never had anything but irons off the discount rack with the stock shaft in them. I don't really know that much about shafts, so I am wondering about that as well. Are the stock shafts not good or are some people just very particular? What could I gain by changing to another shaft with these irons.

Thanks.

Groundhog Day. That's what it's like coming in here time after time seeing another success story with these. Glad you didn't get scared that these were going to be too much club for you. They aren't. They are every bit of what you wrote and more. Enjoy the keys to the new car!

Any suggestions on wedges to pair with these amazing irons? I thought a Scor or Eidolon wedge might work given the v-sole. I have very little experience with Cleveland wedges but given that they are the same company???

The two Scor wedges that I have no longer fit into the gapping with my 745s so I've been looking at possible getting some different ones to try out down the road.

I don't want to derail this thread but PM me if you're interested in unloading one or both of those Scor wedges...

Cace...you are killing me. I had considered these but wanted that tad extra forgiveness. I have hit the 745 7i or 6i at a few demo days this year and enjoyed them and had no issues with size or being able to hit them. i only slightly regretted not going with them or a combo set. Then reading your post earlier started bugging me that I didn't get these. i am very happy with my 545s and wont let it ruin my experience with them.

For wedges I am a fan of the RTX2.0 but after putting my Wilson Staff FG tour TC wedges in the bag I have really enjoyed them more and will be adding a 48* soon.

Seriously bro these are every bit as forgiving as the 545s IMO.

Really good irons that I think are some of the most striking looking out there, but I honestly disagree with this a lot. Much smaller footprint, less sole and less mass all the way around really takes me there. To me it would be like comparing a hybrid to a 3 iron and saying the 3 iron is more forgiving (in terms of measurable data). Sure somebody might enjoy it more, and even hit it better, but the mass alone would dictate a miss would be more punishing in terms of items that can be measured.

But at the beginning of the second paragraph of your post, you did notice more forgiveness out of the 545s, so I might be confused.

I also found the 745 to be more to my liking than the 545, not sure why exactly. I was expecting more of everything from the 545 and just did not see. I do believe I did not have the right shafts to suit my game but that is all subjective.

Last edited:
Seriously bro these are every bit as forgiving as the 545s IMO. I think people look at them and get the knee-jerk reaction of "oh my...those are cavity backs and I can't hit cavity backs". When you have a low handicap player (Big Time Nate) and a mid/high handicapper (me) saying that these are easy to hit and offer a ton of forgiveness then I think there is something to them. The 545s are a little chunkier and will offer a bit more visual confidence, if you're looking for that. But I'm telling you, you need to seriously consider the 745s. They are flat out amazing!

I did opt to keep my 545 5-iron to help with the forgiveness but honestly I could have gone with the 745 no problem. it's pretty amazing when you hit an iron and you not only don't want to stop hitting balls but all you can think about the following day is getting back out there to hit some more! That's me today.

I couldn't agree more. These are some of the easiest-to-hit "players" irons I've ever hit. Here's an example from this morning's round where I spent the morning comparing the AP2s to the Z745s: I had 178 to the pin, uphill, against the wind, and to make matters worse, a slight sidehill lie. The 4 irons I hit were dramatically different. The AP2 was thinned and ugly, ending up 15 yds in front of the green. With the Z745, I hit a boring draw to 10 feet. And as I was playing irons only this morning, I hit a ton of 4 and 5 irons. With the exception of one terrible swing, the Z745s were consistent, straight, and long.

I can't explain why the Z745s instill so much confidence when you look down at them but they do. I know I'm in the honeymoon phase but I love these dang irons!

In that 2nd paragraph I should have said that I opted to keep the 545 5-iron because of my perception that it might offer more forgiveness. I didn't get to try the 745 5-iron so I can't really speak to that. However, when I directly compare the rest of the set in both 545 and 745 I don't personally see any decline in forgiveness from the former to the latter.

It's a highly subjective matter IMO and, frankly, a bad swing on any club is going to end up hurting you. I guess the ultimate point is that if there's a mid-handicap player who is looking at this set and the 545s and says to themselves "I can't game those irons" then they should reconsider and give these irons a serious workout.

Agree to disagree on this one brother. Its not that subjective to me. Its quite easy to see forgiveness (depending on definition) in terms of how well (ball speed) reacts when missing the center and where the misses occur. Its like comparing a 3 iron to a hybrid. There is no doubt which is going to be more forgiving. Doesnt mean everybody will have the same thoughts, or that everybody should play the clubs that are more forgiving, just thoughts on mass and ball speed.

I've got a 43* and 47*. Will shoot you a PM.

Seriously bro these are every bit as forgiving as the 545s IMO. I think people look at them and get the knee-jerk reaction of "oh my...those are cavity backs and I can't hit cavity backs". When you have a low handicap player (Big Time Nate) and a mid/high handicapper (me) saying that these are easy to hit and offer a ton of forgiveness then I think there is something to them. The 545s are a little chunkier and will offer a bit more visual confidence, if you're looking for that. But I'm telling you, you need to seriously consider the 745s. They are flat out amazing!

I did opt to keep my 545 5-iron to help with the forgiveness but honestly I could have gone with the 745 no problem. it's pretty amazing when you hit an iron and you not only don't want to stop hitting balls but all you can think about the following day is getting back out there to hit some more! That's me today.

when i did my fitting at PGATSS in orlando in Dec the fitting system on the 545 broke so the fitter only had the stock 745 for me hit. I had no issues hitting it and for the 3 months from that time until i placed my order for the 545s i debated which direction to go and for the most part was leaning combo set and it wasn't until i placed my order that i ended up just going 545s.

while i will probably be grabbing a set of bridgeston DFs in the near future i still have the thought of getting the 745s in my 7-9 and making the combo set with 545 in 4-6...and of course this thread is not helping me either...this is what makes THP awesome is the feedback and sharing of thoughts and results with each other and the ability to question/debate stuff in order to make the best decisions.

Don't want to turn this into a 545 vs 745 battle but for ME the 545's looked like a tank behind the ball. I felt like I was about to launch a missile behind those bad boys. I get what JB is saying with the more forgiving due to the 545 face being bigger thus the sweet spot is bigger thus making it easier to keep ball speed up on slight mishits. The thing I just couldn't do enough of with the 545's was work the ball or shape the ball like I normally like to. It was just straight balls. Straight ahead, straight right or straight left. I'm no Bubba Watson in shot shaping, but I like to have a predictable ball flight both ways and I just could not get that going with the 545's.

I also get what Cace (OH) is saying on the forgiveness. To the feel or touch, I also couldn't tell the difference. Now hooked up to machines and technology comparing the two might tell a different story on mishits and such but to the naked eye and feeling of the club on shots, I didn't come away saying the 545's gave me much more forgiveness (compared to what I was looking for).

Two great club lines for Srixon....no debate there.

I have the Z545 in 5-7i and Z745 in 8-A. Kinda agree with OH that no clubs can save a bad shot, which is the case for me most of the time, so it's a visual confidence thing with the chunkier long irons. I ordered the Z545 5-7i 1 degree weak to match of loft of Z745, no issues with gapping so far.

Here is a question for those of you who have played Z 745 irons: How high are you hitting the ball with your mid-irons? I am currently playing Cleveland CG 16 irons and the mid-irons have a lower trajectory and more roll out than I would like. On my home course there is a par 3 that is about 190 to the middle of the green. The last two times I have played I have hit a nice draw with my 7 iron to the front of the green and ended up putting from near the back fringe. Are the Z 745 irons noticeably higher or lower than other irons you have played?

Here is a question for those of you who have played Z 745 irons: How high are you hitting the ball with your mid-irons? I am currently playing Cleveland CG 16 irons and the mid-irons have a lower trajectory and more roll out than I would like. On my home course there is a par 3 that is about 190 to the middle of the green. The last two times I have played I have hit a nice draw with my 7 iron to the front of the green and ended up putting from near the back fringe. Are the Z 745 irons noticeably higher or lower than other irons you have played?

That's a hard question to answer regarding ball height because swings are so different. But I will say I'm hitting all these irons higher than I did with my X Forged. I don't know if its because of the better contact I'm getting with the V soles or the weighting but I do have a higher ball flight which I love because I'm very much a mid flight guy.

Got a lot of props from guys at the KC Invitational on these sticks. They just continue to impress and are going no where anytime soon.

Like Nate said, its going to depend on different variables for each person (i.e. swing, as well as what shafts you play). With the Steelfiber i95 shafts I get a mid-trajectory flight pretty consistently. That's comparable to what I saw with my Z545/Recoil 95 irons too. Before that I had the Callaway Apex, which were higher launching but I think that had a lot to do with the lighter weight graphite shaft (Recoil 680).

I had the KBS Tour in both which I failed to mention earlier. So was a good comparison between the 2 sets.

srixon Z745's are some great looking clubs...

they are definitely on my radar...

Would the 745s be too much club for someone who regularly shoots in the high 80s to mid-90s? I'm shopping for new irons, and am leaning heavily towards a full set of 545s, but after reading everything here I am intrigued by the thought of a combo set going 5-7 in 545 and 8-pw in 745. But I worry that I just love the idea/look/reviews of 745s, but wouldn't be able to hit them.

I just got an email from my local fitting centre saying that they have some limited edition black version of the 745's available for custom fitting customers. has anyone seen these? they look pretty sexy to me but hard to tell with only one picture:

yeczKuM.jpg

just found one more of the whole range:

foNGvWk.png

Those look cool. Same price as the originals I wonder?

Those look cool. Same price as the originals I wonder?

i think so, but you can only get them through custom fitting which some places charge for i guess.

That is cool but give me the chrome polish on these bad boys all day long.

Back