Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
And I ask….why?

I'm guessing their thought is huge ambassador to the game. Sponsors a ton of amateur golf and speaks to a different demographic than the normal coverage.

Not sure it translates out, but my gut says that was the thinking.

My immediate words when I read the thread. WHHYYYYY?

Why is this needed? What is Steph going to bring to the coverage to improve it in any way? Why not just bring Jack Nicklaus in so we can hear about how he did things and how good he was? Even though NBC has the coverage, could we not get a Lance Barrow fluff piece special for an hour in between holes?

Growing the game, I reckon. If he does well, great. Not that I have any dog in the fight.

I heard on a Warriors game commentary a while back that he is scratch. Not that that's necessarily a qualification to be on the RC coverage team.

Because he's better shooter than Terry Gannon.

I think it is strange, but I will withhold judgement till the coverage starts.

Because he's better shooter than Terry Gannon.

Maybe, but Gannon has been doing this so long that he knows how to call it. It may not be out of this world, but it's tolerable and run of the mill quality. I mean, he's no Davis Love III but who really is? :ROFLMAO:

• Staff
Putting a basketball celeb in the RC coverage is dumb. Do it somewhere else.

Yeah I was kind of thinking why myself. I guess it depends a little on how they use him. If it's just for some short segments or on course interviews then maybe it makes sense to try and attract some more eyeballs to grow the game. If it's more than that though then I'm left wondering why him with no experience.

Yeah I was kind of thinking why myself. I guess it depends a little on how they use him. If it's just for some short segments or on course interviews then maybe it makes sense to try and attract some more eyeballs to grow the game. If it's more than that though then I'm left wondering why him with no experience.
This is it to a T for me. If it brings more eyeballs because Steph hits a hugely different demographic, I think its a pretty smart move to do it on a stage that is filled with a lot of fun and team stuff.

And I ask….why?
They are trying to pull in basketball non-golf eyes to the event. I don't think they need to because it is the Ryder Cup.

That's the only thing I can think of.

I get he's into the game and brings more "eyes" with him, but not for the Ryder Cup. This event is fine on it's own and doesnt need this kind of addition to garner more interest/viewership.

I get he's into the game and brings more "eyes" with him, but not for the Ryder Cup. This event is fine on it's own and doesnt need this kind of addition to garner more interest/viewership.

I would disagree with the event being fine on its own, in all honesty. It’s fine when it’s competitive. The US are getting their asses beat every two years or so, and it really needs to shift to something more competitive than just losing in a close one etc.

Winning 3 out of the last 11 doesn’t really bode well for popularity stateside anyway…

I would disagree with the event being fine on its own, in all honesty. It’s fine when it’s competitive. The US are getting their asses beat every two years or so, and it really needs to shift to something more competitive than just losing in a close one etc.

Winning 3 out of the last 11 doesn’t really bode well for popularity stateside anyway…

While I don't disagree, I am not sure bringing in someone like Steph Curry changes any of that. The US issues are all self inflicted and no matter what celebrity personality you bring in will not change that.

doesn't bother me at all. He's a good personality in almost any media aspect I've seen.

Steph Curry isnt coming in as a coach or player though.
He is coming in to draw interest in the event, which have been waning.

In 2014 it was an all time low I believe in viewership. It has not bounced back much including the return of Tiger, so they need something to try and capitalize on this large growth in the sport.

steph is boring though, at least he was boring when he was involved in the match.

i’m fine to bring a celebrity. but bring someone who will actually talk and be interesting.

if you want more people to tune in, put tiger in the booth. i doubt he would, but i think he would be amazing.

"High 8 figures." Wow. I can see the appeal though, I would much rather listen to Steph Curry than Jack Nicklaus.
Actually, fair play here.

I'd take Steph over Nicklaus and Player 7 days of the week.

steph is boring though, at least he was boring when he was involved in the match.

i’m fine to bring a celebrity. but bring someone who will actually talk and be interesting.

if you want more people to tune in, put tiger in the booth. i doubt he would, but i think he would be amazing.
There is some irony here though, considering when Tiger was in the first Match, he didnt say a word (and then mic broke) either and was boring.
Phil should be in the booth.

From an optics standpoint, I fully get this. Bringing eyes that might not come, when you know the eyes who were already going to tune in probably don't care.

I'll be honest and say that the broadcast rarely "makes" an event for me, although they've done a good job to annoy me in the past. I'd prefer nothing more than to get some of those dudes covering the Open Championship to come on and talk the way they did then. It was hilarious.

I say bring in Peyton and Eli and let them cover it like they did MNF.

Is the intent of the Ryder Cup coverage to showcase the passion of golf, or golf in general? What is the end goal other than increasing viewership on a weekly basis (which hasn't really leveraged famous people all that much)?

If people who don't regularly golf tune in and see a USA squad show little passion and get steamrolled by the Euro squad (not predicting it), is that optic pretty negative for an unfamiliar viewer? Obviously you have the "cheer for your country" part, which usually goes great until your country loses haha

Is the intent of the Ryder Cup coverage to showcase the passion of golf, or golf in general? What is the end goal other than increasing viewership on a weekly basis (which hasn't really leveraged famous people all that much)?

If people who don't regularly golf tune in and see a USA squad show little passion and get steamrolled by the Euro squad (not predicting it), is that optic pretty negative for an unfamiliar viewer? Obviously you have the "cheer for your country" part, which usually goes great until your country loses haha

I would love that. I wish I had access to sky sports or whatever the British golf coverage would be for this event. I think it would be fun.

Back