Stock PW vs. Aftermarket PW

I'm too cheap to buy another wedge to replace one that matches my irons. I'd consider a 49* or so wedge and drop my 4 iron if I had a really strong lofted set of clubs because I'm not moving away from my 54/60 wedge set up that I have now.

Stock AP-2 47° PW and stock AP-2 51° GW for full swing consistency.

I use the stock. Modern PWs seem to be more iron-like than wedge-like.

Relevant question for me. I've recently decided that a 1.2 swing with my PW is much more effective/predictable than a full GW/LW.

For me the full swing is always more reliable than a 3/4 swing or such with my PW, which is why I like having the 54* and the 60* vokeys in my bag.

For me the full swing is always more reliable than a 3/4 swing or such with my PW, which is why I like having the 54* and the 60* vokeys in my bag.

Same here. I used to have a 3 wedge setup and will admit that it was awesome having no gaps in my bag with a full swing until i got down to 80 yards or less. I'm about to drop my Niblick and get a 3 wood.

I have a 3 wedges set-up like most and I have my stock PW. I think most people play the stock set down to the PW- or AW and then add other wedges according to their gaps. This would be easier and most cost effective.

I looked and didn't see another thread talking about this. Do most of you just stick with the PW that comes with your set or do many of you buy a 48 degree wedge like the Titleist or Cleveland? I have never actually bought a 48 degree wedge and just use the ones that come with my irons like my MP68's, but what do you fellow hackers think about this situation? What do you do?

I usually stay with the PW from the set as it is exclusively a full shot club for me.

I use mine from the set. Then I try to fill the gaps with a dedicated 2 wedge pair. I don't know why I wouldn't either. I have plenty of other clubs I'd like to change first I guess.

I use the stiock PW. In my set, that means a 45 *. The next step is a 52 * wedge. I dont see huge gaps, but they are noticeable. To aide this I just put a little extra "umph" on the 52.

I can't hit a half PW. I have no control and no perception of distance so I'd rather hammer on a 52* than hit a half PW.

For you stock users out there... Do you have other wedges that you would rather use instead of taking a 1/2 swing with your PW?

I only take full swings with my stock wedge. I can hit shots with my 49* 588 anywhere from 100 yards and in.

My stock PW is 47* so there is hardly a difference. I am actually really surprised to see some PW's nowadays at 44 and 45*

44* is for wussies. I go 42.5*

Way ahead of you.. I got struck by lightening back in 2005 on the course and got some sort of strange thing going on now.

all my clubs got reversed.

I can hit my PW around 250-270 and my driver goes around 130-145.

Way ahead of you.. I got struck by lightening back in 2005 on the course and got some sort of strange thing going on now.

all my clubs got reversed.

I can hit my PW around 250-270 and my driver goes around 130-145.

Whoa! you too Dent :D

You guys definitely need to watch out for lightning...

I've been thinking about getting a 50 degree CG14 to match the 54 & 58 degree wedges I like so much. I just got a new set of irons thru AW which is 49 or 50 degrees. I like the weight and leading edge of the CG14's so much, I'd hate to miss out on a 50 since they aren't being made anymore...

No way..... Really? Your set comes with a 42.5* PW? If I just fell into an inside joke, sorry. That is a full club stronger than a standard PW. I'd have play around with them to see how that works out.

My PW is 47*, and I see no point in paying another $100+ for a different wedge.

No way..... Really? Your set comes with a 42.5* PW? If I just fell into an inside joke, sorry. That is a full club stronger than a standard PW. I'd have play around with them to see how that works out.

Yes sir. The W/S Di11's PW is 42.5 and the GW is 46 I think. It's making me rethink my wedge setup I can tell you that.

Yes sir. The W/S Di11's PW is 42.5 and the GW is 46 I think. It's making me rethink my wedge setup I can tell you that.

Wow.. I thought you were kidding. Just checked the specs, 42* for a PW is overboard, I would get so thrown off trying to figure out why I would be hitting my PW so long.

Wow.. I thought you were kidding. Just checked the specs, 42* for a PW is overboard, I would get so thrown off trying to figure out why I would be hitting my PW so long.

It is actually quite easy for me anyway. I just -1 from each club. Essentially the PW goes the same distance as my old 9I

I use the PW that came with my set, it works great, I didn't feel the need for an after-market one.

The GW is 46 degree??? Really..wow. What are your SW and LW?....or are you still pondering?

The GW is 46 degree??? Really..wow. What are your SW and LW?....or are you still pondering?

Pondering. Really no reason for me to go out and take a chance when I will have my little playground of just about every wedge I can imagine to try in a month. I play a 56 & 60 now and I'm halfway decent at taking 1/2 and 3/4 swings so I can some what make up for the gaps. But after the outing I will be getting most likely a 52/58 combo and I'm pretty sure it will be the CG 16s

I stick with the stock PW from the set. Depending on the company I may need to use wedges to cover a gap.

Just because they mark it as a PW, that doesn't make it a PW. It's nothing more than marketing, or bragging rights. It lets the guy who uses them feel good because he hits a PW when his buddy is playing a 9 or even an 8 iron, when in reality they are the same club. Not saying that this is why he bought them, but that is what the manufacturer is thinking. It's really pretty silly because then the player just has to buy more additional clubs/wedges to get to the same place where the rest of us are with our more standardized sets.

Unless you do like I do and just order the clubs you want instead of buying a "set". I just bought the 5I - PW initially, then added the AP-2 GW later.

Back