Stroke Lab Black #7 Toe Up Putter

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The #7 shape is iconic. It is the most used Odyssey putter on tour with a legendary style that was once considered unique, and is now one of the most duplicated shapes out there.

Multiple variations of the #7 exist within the Odyssey line, and today that is expanding with the launch of the Stroke Lab Toe Up.

2-4-1024x692.jpg

Before we get to what Toe Up is, let’s rewind a bit and breakdown what Stroke lab is and what it is doing. This “re-balancing” of the golf shaft is fairly new, but something Odyssey has been working on for a number of years. It started with shifting weight to the head and butt and using a light weight golf shaft. While it felt great, it needed major refinement. That led to the innovative...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.... as odd as that looks I kind of want one. I used to have a Marxman Backstryke many years ago that was (IMO) a great putter.
For some reason this is the most interesting Odyssey putter to me they’ve released recently.

Immediately after seeing photo thought they brought back the backstryke? The science makes sense obviously but personally it’s not for me

Hmmm going to have to pass on that one. Never cared for the backstryke putters.

interesting choice to bring the concept back with stroke lab I guess.

I am interested in the firmer micro hinge insert though

“By design, the unique hosel creates significant toe up characteristics to encourage minimal face rotation and arc in the putting stroke. When you test the balance of this putter by resting the shaft on your finger it will sit toe up.”

It’s early so forgive me. I think the phrase “toe up” is just setting all kinds of confusion for me. This putter has got to be face balanced correct? If that’s the case I’d game it. I like the looks. This would fit me.

Im more and more convinced there is a section of golf consumers who purchase putters based solely on the axiom that the uglier a putter is, the better it is.

• Admin
“By design, the unique hosel creates significant toe up characteristics to encourage minimal face rotation and arc in the putting stroke. When you test the balance of this putter by resting the shaft on your finger it will sit toe up.”

It’s early so forgive me. I think the phrase “toe up” is just setting all kinds of confusion for me. This putter has got to be face balanced correct? If that’s the case I’d game it. I like the looks. This would fit me.

No sir, this is not face balanced, but actually toe up. To test the face angle of a putter at home, rest the shaft balance point on your index finger.

9C2D907A-A454-4EFA-AE93-7A90BAF8B692.jpeg

I really, really don't like the look of the backstrtryke and this putter. But I've seen some guys who couldn't putt at all start making stuff with that putter. Ultimate case of "if it works, it works". I know the same was true of some folks with the old toe up line.

So, nice to see Odyssey providing options for everyone.

I DONT UNDERSTAND! Mind blown.
Minimal face rotation and arc. This is for a straight back straight through stroke correct?

I DONT UNDERSTAND! Mind blown.
Minimal face rotation and arc. This is for a straight back straight through stroke correct?

I think you could make the case that it could be for both less arc and those with more looking to minimize it.

Wow ... that is a unique design. But hey, if it gets the ball in the hole, who cares what it looks like. I'd give it a roll regardless.

As someone that was just informed that they had a lot of face rotation during their putting stroke during a fitting, I would certainly love to try this putter.

Reminds me of the Backstyke putters from a while back. It's not a putter I could roll, but I am sure it can help a lot of golfers who need help squaring that face at impact.

I...I just....just....no. Just no.

Ironically, I played against a guy last night who used the old Backstryke putter and said I hadn't seen one of those putters for a long time

And then this pops up today.....

100% not for me.

Club at address looks really weird to me...couldn't game it.

I like the putter head itself, but I don't know if I could look down at that much bend in the shaft and I like shaft bend in a putter. I am sure gonna try to find one to stand over to see how it looks.

Pass on this one, don't care for the look.

The backstrykes just don’t pass the eye test for me, and I never putted particularly well with them. Love a #7, but this one is a hard pass.

The Truss is knocking on the door asking if this putter can come out and play. 😉

Like others have said, if it gets the ball in the hole that's all that matters. I've always liked the #7 head shape and this is unique but still looks good. I'll have to see the visuals when standing over a putt but I'll surely hit some putts with it when the local shop gets one in.

I don't know if it looks hideous or pretty. If I saw one in the store I'd roll a few putts with it. If it were on sale, I was in the market for a putter, and it rolled good, sure why not.

Back